• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GEC Witton EDO 1965-1975

Hi Keith, Jill has contacted me on Facebook and I'm sure we'll be catching up on the last 40-odd years. I'm sorry Dave is not very well but let's hope he begins to feel better soon.

I lived in Montreal for seven years and supported Les Canadiens then I transfered to Toronto but couldn't bring myself to support the Maple Leafs so I guess I'm still a Montreal fan. If you manage to get to Canada in the winter (not recommended as it's too cold) then you must see a game live, the speed and action will astound you.

All the best
Bill

Thank you bill thats the great thing about this site it reunites folks from far away & past friendships. I do see the NHL via my laptop but as you say its not like being at a game.

Hope we get more EDO members see this & post

All the very best
Keith ( THE BARON)

Roger only just found this thread but thanks for the posting, found it very interesting.

GEC Magnet Computer Bureau reunion in 2001

These are photos taken at the GEC Magnet Computer Bureau reunion in 2001. The quality is not very good (I didn’t take them!) but they are better than no photos at all.

Bob Burns and John Taylor sm.jpg

Bob Burns, ?, John Taylor

Brian and Ann Southall sm.jpg

Brian and Ann Southall

Dennis Paske Frank Taylor Jack Baynham sm.jpg

Dennis Paske, Frank Taylor, Jack Baynham

Raj Trivedi Mike Battisson Roger Thomas sm.jpg

Raj Trivedi, Mike Battisson, Roger Thomas
I used to work in the data prep department downstairs keying in /verifying the programs for you guys! My name then was Maggie Stevens, I worked at Witton for 6.5yrs! I remember Raj, Mike, Roger -did lots of Your programs - Dennis too! They were great days. I married Leslie Francis who worked at Parsons as a draughtsman in 1977 and moved upstairs to work with Barbara in the secretaries office for the manager! I remember theme times we played jokes in you all by putting signs up to say "please use the other door" on both doors in the office

Raj Trivedi Roger Francis sm.jpg

Raj Trivedi, Roger Francis

Ray Jennett sm.jpg

Margaret Cundall (back) and Ray Jennett

Tony Lim Mike Battisson Roger Francis sm.jpg

Tony Lim, Mike Battisson, ?, Roger Francis, Ruth Twitchen (back)

I worked at MCB from about 1967 for a couple of years - mainly on the H200 feeding stuff to the H800 - remember Tape updates of NBG Parts & NBG Drawings & shouted cries of 'Saveit" to stop a rewinding tape un loading after a fast rewind.
I then moved out of the H800/H200 Computer room to the newly made room directly outside containing the H1250 - I generally worked nights at the weekend - Friday-Sunday 10-7 or so - on the Pert Updates (supposedly for Blue Streak ??.
Had to open Locked 3 draw cabinets at the start of shift to get the data to run - run it overnight & put the output back in the cabinets (as well as the key) & lock it up.
Then they brought in a ? 1648 - made up of 3 mini computers - time sharing with a teletype console & I had to look after that as well - my biggest achievement was writing a tic-tac-toe program in Assembler that ran on the console.
I still have a Cobol Manual with Sid Henson's name written in the front.
I Remember Bob Wray - In his little room behind the H800 processor - David Jenney interviewed me if I remember correctly.
Fond memories - I left to go to Glasgow where my girlfriend at the time lived. She became my wife & we emigrated to Australia.

I worked at MCB from about 1967 for a couple of years - mainly on the H200 feeding stuff to the H800 - remember Tape updates of NBG Parts & NBG Drawings & shouted cries of 'Saveit" to stop a rewinding tape un loading after a fast rewind.
I then moved out of the H800/H200 Computer room to the newly made room directly outside containing the H1250 - I generally worked nights at the weekend - Friday-Sunday 10-7 or so - on the Pert Updates (supposedly for Blue Streak ??.
Had to open Locked 3 draw cabinets at the start of shift to get the data to run - run it overnight & put the output back in the cabinets (as well as the key) & lock it up.
Then they brought in a ? 1648 - made up of 3 mini computers - time sharing with a teletype console & I had to look after that as well - my biggest achievement was writing a tic-tac-toe program in Assembler that ran on the console.
I still have a Cobol Manual with Sid Henson's name written in the front.
I Remember Bob Wray - In his little room behind the H800 processor - David Jenney interviewed me if I remember correctly.
Fond memories - I left to go to Glasgow where my girlfriend at the time lived. She became my wife & we emigrated to Australia.
Hi Dave,
I should remember you as i worked in operations from 1967 to 1970 and then moved to the Programming department, but i can't seem to recall you. Age is getting to me!
My MCB History (https://www.rogerthomas.co.uk/ dsp_mcb.html).
Your comments brought back so many memories - i'd forgotten that after the H1250 was the 1648, but the operation of that machine was restricted.
Yes "save it" was shouted to go and flick the switch on the tape drive to stop it cycling down, and having to reload it.
I remember it being a competition to see who could load the tapes on the H800 fastest (without breaking the transparent leader tape).
I also remember the Pert runs that seemed to process for ages - giving time to get a drink and sandwiches.
They were great times.
I'm still in the UK, retired near Stratford upon Avon.

Hi Dave,
Forgot to say, i am Roger Thomas - old photos below.

Roger_Nicholas_Thomas_1950_in1972_Wedding_01.jpg
I am pictured on the right with the long hair, on my wedding day in 1972 (to give an idea what i looked like in those days).

Morgan_358FNP_1970_01.jpg
Also a photo of me in 1970 by my "new" red Morgan car

I had a long post about MCB in Sep 11, 2010 - post #31

Regards,
Roger Thomas

Back