• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gate Street Saltley

lesg128

george 1st
One of my Gt. Aunts lived in Gate Street before getting married and emigrating to Canada. Seem to be having difficulty locating it. Must be somewhere near The Gate pub. Anyone know??
lesg128

Here's a map from 1913
MWS
Thanks for information. 1913 happens to be the year my Great Aunt emigrated. So what I am looking at is the actual street layout that she would have recognised. I wonder what the name of the school was?
Your info is much appreciated.

If you mean the school on the map (which tomake it clear were the black buildings on thextreme corner of the map), these were St Saviour's schools

Thanks for that mikejee. This would seem to confirm my Gt Aunt lived all her unmarried life in Saltley before emigrating.
She was christened at St Saviours. What a complete change of lifestyle when she got to Canada. Although from stories I have
learned she hated the cold!!

Back