• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garrison Lane

Where exactly was Lincoln Place located guys in relation to Garrison Lane. Maybe a map or sketch indicating its whereabouts precisely.

Lincoln Place was off Garrison Lane between Gray Street and Maxstoke Street just at the back of the Sportsman Inn.

Attachments

• lincoln place.JPG
    lincoln place.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 57
Hi good people, I have just done a search for Gray Street so here I am. I worked at the rolling mill (Richard Jones) on the corner of Gray Street and Garrison Lane, from 1967 to 1971 in the offices. My first job after finishing school. The most fun place I ever worked. I used to keep my parents well entertained with the shenanigans that went on there and the characters 'in the mill'. Moving forward to present day I have been tracing relatives and have discovered that I have a connection to No. 33 Gray Street, and possibly a shop within the immediate area. My relative was a policeman and his wife is listed as a shopkeeper. What I'm wondering is are there any numbered street maps that I can access, The one above is useful but I would love more detail.

If any body is interested in some of the history of the mill and its workers, I do know a fair bit.

Also. I rented workshop space in the old PO factory in the late 70s early 80s ( not that any body cares about that)

Best wishes,
Rob

edit- just seen that one side is numbered, but I would like a bigger map. ta very much,

rob i am sure if mike our map expert spots your post he will be able to supply you with a detailed map...dont know what we would do with mikes maps

lyn

Glad to say I have it sorted from the map above- spun it round and realised what I thought to be 31 was 1 & 3, and 33 was numbered, directly opposite where I worked. Must have seen it every day :)

Another mystery solved.

Cheers,
Rob

another 3 pics...the third one topsy has already posted but i think this one is slightly clearer...pic 2 i think shows birmingham citys football ground just behind the middle block

lyn

Attachments

• Garrison Lane 4-7 Lincoln Place Bordesley 1900s Homes for People p13 - Copy.jpg
    Garrison Lane 4-7 Lincoln Place Bordesley 1900s Homes for People p13 - Copy.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Garrison Lane Bordesley - Copy.jpg
    Garrison Lane Bordesley - Copy.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Garrison Lane Flats Bordesley.jpg
    Garrison Lane Flats Bordesley.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 69
The first two are of the Holmes, which were North, West and South if I remember correctly. When I worked in Garrison, in the late 60s, Lincoln Place was gone and the space was occupied by a mechanics workshop called 'Perfection Tuning' and a dealer in tea chests which I assume came from TyPhoo. Yes, Stan's is in the background.

Rob

another 3 pics...the third one topsy has already posted but i think this one is slightly clearer...pic 2 i think shows birmingham citys football ground just behind the middle block

lyn

Another view from Birmingham buildings; the architectural story of a Midland city by Little, Bryan D. G Publication date 1971.

“Flats off Garrison Lane, of 1927-9, are of much character for the design of their projections and the delicate variety of their brickwork.”

3050D155-91C3-4652-AC61-29657D2926F9.jpeg

I recently discovered my parents had lived at 'back 4 317' Garrison Lane from around 1956 to 1960.
I would have been a baby/toddler at the time so have little to no memories of it.

Can anyone point in the direction of where in Garrison lane the house was located?

Thanks.

This is from 1950, it does say 4/315 but there is sometimes a discrepancy in numbering between the maps and ERs etc...

0 - Garrison Lane.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
The original correct way to describe the back houses in a court was as back of the house which was adjacent to the entranceof the court (usually the one lower number if there were two houses adjacent). Later (and on many maps of the 1950s and after) this got corrupted and sometimes it was described as back of whichever house happened to be nearest on the road

I remember accompanying my father as he collected "the pools" and the back to back houses were further up the road than where we lived, which was 302 Garrison Lane, if you travel onwards from the bottom right hand corner of the map. And Mike is correct, the house you are looking for is 4 the back of 315.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Back