• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gangs of Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the quinton mob ,erly on in the 60`s thay hang around in the park i was living in the old baskerville house .we sorted them out thay would throw stones at us from the park john obrian was a good boxer thay where no mach for us sadly he past over only aged 22 still miss him now the vandals bernt it down their are houses on the site now still have fond memories of the place i helped the old gardner taffy trim the holly and cut the grass summer time i gave the old buttlers grass a cut there where thousands of daffodils all the way down are drive and we had a sunken garden with a sundial ,and down the border to the park was verry pleasent wood that i spent hours in .we also had lovely wooden carved stairs leading you up to verry large stained glass windows

just been reading the threads on gangs very intresting there will always be gangs of some sort of or another
some of them are just bored junior kids whom the parents arent intrested in them and let them doi there own thing half the time the parents are half doped up or in the pub spending there security money on booze then there is the gangs that are bored and hell bent on damageing property then there is the notorius gangs on druggs and crime which breed together
the police will never sort them out it will take peoples power to unite and stand together to sort these hooligans out
with the police handing the power back to the people will in courage more people to come together
there was gangs in the 1800s and the 1900s the east ends kids of london and then birminghams gangs from the early 1900s the teddy boys , the hells angells
have a nice day everybody best wishes astonion

Last edited by a moderator:
One family mentioned in "The Gangs of Birmingham" is the Simpson brothers in the Aston area. My maternal grandmother was Lily or Lillian Simpson, born in 1892, was, I believe, related to them. She married Martin "Jack" Cain who was, I think, a "Peaky". He died in 1959 when I was seven and always wore his white muffler scarf tied in the distinctive "Peaky" style. My grandmother's brothers had reputations as boxers including one known as "Knocker" Simpson another owned a bookmakers in Barnes Hill for many years. There is also a story in the family that Lily was the girlfriend of funfair owner Pat Collins.

HI NICK;
I Have a book i recently bought ; called [ BIRMINGHAM;; THE SINISTER SIDE;]
It is jammed packed with pictures and stories of the whole of brum and of pictures of men and women and of gangs of brum
and alot of women whom was cgarged with offences from murder down to nicking a hankie and got five years
and alot of men committed murder and of course the gangs of brum and one golden oldie was one of tommy the tank ; which i recall from many , many years ago the city drunk whom plagued the gaffers of brum pubs and of spark hill police station and it s musuem and a picture of the birch bech and of the story of the chiefconstable there at the time;took it upon his self to birch these two lads with out going to court and he was sacked ;
but also the previuos thread is on about the peakies gang ; there is a picture of the one family of the infamouse gang of peakies of clyde street
out side the slum houses in the back yard poseing ;
i thought i would mention this on here as i certainly reomend this book ; by steve jones ;as xmas gift or any member of the forum to go and buy it ;as its packed with all the stories and of winson green prison ; and mug shots and of the story of the turning point og the prisison
from naming the very first person to be gunenor ; and to the attituned of the second gov.
have a good day best wishes astonian;

I remember talk of the Quinton mob. A group of us kids aged around 6 to 8 would regularly play in woodgate valley fields and were told never to go too far across as you reach Quinton, but we never listened. One day my mom told me of a house fire supposedly by the quinton mob where some children died (don't know if true) but I know I stopped going so far then. Keep in mind this is from the memory of a 7 or 8 year old :)

I also remember the spider gang, don't know how well known they were, maybe just to the locals. I did have an older brother so heard a lot about this stuff :)

good day to ya ;debbie
Yes there was a mob roaming around quinton in those day but they was only yobs;
whom picked on the vulable kids and pensioners and trouble on the busesthere was an incidence of a house on fire
one year but i do not beleive it was the quinton mob responible for it it was an house fire and there was a dispute with some one
but they never done that but they did smash the monica pub up they put all the windows in alll around the pub ;
it looked like a war zone my sister in law and nepew ived up there around that time and my nepew knew most of them ;
and they new him but he never mixed with him ; they feared him ; his name was pitt bull [john ] a big lad inalways in his built ;
they would only talk to him he had given one or two of the leaders of the pack abit of rough stuff
and they wopuld not mess on his end any more his mom worked at the monica pub
for the gathers name was hughie ;at the time ;
but the quinton mob only picked on pensioners and kids ;and robbed people on thenumber 9 bus ; but the police sooner or later put them out of action;
as it was quite regular performance on that bus people was frighten to use that bus ;
have a good day best wishes astonian;

Thanks Astonian :). I'm sure a lot of the stories were made to seem worse to us kids to stop us going too far, but it usually never worked :).

Hello, Just read in the paper that a new series starts tonight on ci Sky 553 and Virgin 237 Called Gangs of Britain.
They advertise it as ¬ a Brand New and Exciting Series.
Tonight is episode 1 - Glasgow.
Episode 4 is Birmingham. Thought it may be interesting ??
Betty.

Last edited:
HI MAGGS;
THE INFORMOUS FORGER WAS INTERNED AT WITTON CEMETRY WHEN HE DIED. AND BROOKFIELDS WAS WELL KNOWN FOR THESE GUYS
ALONG WITH BANK ROBBERS THERE WAS ONE GUY LIVING IN THOSE TERRACE HOUSE DIRECTLY BEHIND THE SCHOOL IN THOSE COURTS
WAY BACK IN THE EARLY NINETEEN HUNDREDS HE WAS SENT TO BROAD MOR FOR LIFE AS I RECALL MEETIG HIS WIFE THROGH A FREND
SHE STILL KEPT IS PHOTO HANGING ON THE WALL AND SHE HAD LITTLE KIDS OF ABOUT FIVE YEARS OLD WHEN HE WAS SENT TO PRISON FOR
VIOLENCE AS HE WAS CONSIDERED IN THOSE DAYS AS A SEROIUS THREAT TO SOCIETY
HAVE A GOOD DAY , ME I AM IN THE GAREN TODAY TO CATCH UP ON MY PLANTING AND COMPOSTING
BEST WISHES AS ALWAYS , ALAN;; Astonian;;;;;;

Thanks for the info Betty. I did watch the program a bit scary but interesting all the same. Hope I remember to watch next week.

Yes I had fancied it as well after seeing the Kemp's promoting it on BBC!

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

QM? Quinton Mob. Like most "urban myths" their reputation was greatly exagerated. Yes they did cause a few "problems" and had the occasional fight, but nothing like you would be led to believe. Having played football for Quinton Dynamo, the Monarch and the Punch Bowl with members of the QM, I always found them to be both sporting and friendly towards opponents.
jimbo

hi jimbo
What year are you recalling about these gang of tear away kids , because basicialy they was only kids whom was abit of a pain
at times ;just a couple of idiots from hunslett rd was what was the main problem terrosing the old folks on the buses and a bit of anti social behaviour
as you say it was all blown out of proportion by the older folks
occasionial there would have been the odd fight at the monic as i only know to well especialy when my sister inlaw worked there for years behind the bars and when hughie used to run the pub ; Astonian;

In the Mail yesterday was a small ad for Brum`s Gangs and it said see video at www.birminghammail.co.uk It has taken me ages but at last I found it. There is a short promotional video which is o.k. but nothing special.They have also written about the series which is useful. I am hoping they do another one on tonights programme which they say in the article is Birmingham. As you lovely people are better than me at this thought I should pass it on. I have printed it off at the address at the bottom is.............
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/gangs-britain-kemp-brothers-inve....
Betty.

Last edited:
I don't know what it is about the Birmingham Mail website but my pc here at work will not open it.
The message always comes up to say that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close?!!

Hello Sparks,

Don't know if it makes a difference but I used birminghammail.co.uk. All one word and lower case. Sorry I am no expert but thought it may help.
Betty

Hello again,

Sorry it has only come up as part of the address I typed ???? Only thing I can think of is get to news section then go to local-news and take it from there. Trusts me to get it wrong.
Betty.

Is this it? Click Here

The problem I think is that when typing in a long address parts get left off the end. Best is to copy and paste the web address and then add by using the Link Icon - Icons.jpg The link is the second one from Left.

EH???? WHAT JA SAY????????? What the devil is cut and paste ???? and LINK ICONS???????

There's conceited me telling myself I am getting better and you go and throw that at me. Mind you I suppose it is a compliment that you think I am capable of doing it.Never mind at least I can do the basics and I can always ask for advice.I might catch up with you all one day ! By the way, what is a HTC Desire X using tapatalk???? Sounds highly erotic to me.
The video you sent me was the one I was trying to be helpful with.
Going to have a lie down, Betty.

"Cut" = Highlight whatever you want to move, click on "Edit", select "cut".

"Paste" = Select where you want to what paste in what you cut and click. Then clock "Edit" and select "paste".

(The same goes for Copy and Paste, just substitute "Copy" for "Cut")

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the bit about the HTC Desire. I've got one of those and know how to send messages to the Web but find the screen too small to use for Internet forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back