• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Galvin Peter

jackd

Brummie babby
Hello everyone
I have just joined the Forum and wonder if anyone can help with the following

SCRAPPER JACK
Does anyone remember this gentleman who lived near Chester Avenue Vauxhall, he had a scrapyard there in the 1950's 1960's.

PETER GALVIN

This gentleman is a great grandfather of mine, he was born in the late 1790's in County Galway and married in Birminghm in 1820's Mary Leadbeater Butler. He worked as a Tailor and in his later years lived in Woodcock Street.

If anyone has any information I would be grateful

Regards

There are two newspaper report of 1868 about a peter galvin prosecuted for helping to organise an illegal prize fight, one of 1855 for stealing copper tubing (though he is described a as young man , so would not be him) and one of 1839 wheree someone stole from him. dont know if you have seen them. If any of interest I can post them

Hello
Thank you for your help, this Peter Galvin was his son, I know he was a bit of "a lad" so I am not suprised at this information although I knew he stole a shawl from outside a shop for a friend, the tubing is a new one.
If you could send these it would be great.
Peter Andrew went off to USA in 1872's with his wife but I think he got into trouble there, he was a Glass Manufacturer by trade.

Was just looking at Birmingham papers and these are the items I referred to. However, if you have refs from all papers, there also are 18 references , all from Irish papers, and seem to be largely from Galway (Tuam?) up to 1850

Attachments

• 7 March 1868, Birmingham Journal.jpg
    7 March 1868, Birmingham Journal.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20 June 1855, Birmingham Journal.jpg
    20 June 1855, Birmingham Journal.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 28 December 1839, Birmingham Journal.jpg
    28 December 1839, Birmingham Journal.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 28 February 1868, Birmingham Daily Post,.jpg
    28 February 1868, Birmingham Daily Post,.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 30 December 1839, Aris's Birmingham Gazette,.jpg
    30 December 1839, Aris's Birmingham Gazette,.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 7
Hello
This information is great and I will treasure it, Peter Jnr was indeed "a lad" but every family needs a little spice.
I do not think there are any Galvin family members living in Birmingham from Peter snr as 2 of his sons died young and Peter Andrew went off to USA, and is difficult to trace if he had any family there. He did have a daughter who died as a baby before he and Sarah went to USA.
There was Lucy Galvin who married a James Marshall Hutton she was the sister of Peter Andrew but there is no trace of a child for Lucy and James.

Thank you again for the information

Back