• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Free access

pjmburns

master brummie

FREE ACCESS UNTIL 11 JUNE*
Free Access Days - Research your ancestors’ military past
Millions of records are FREE*
Ahead of D-Day's 80th anniversary tomorrow, we want to help you discover and preserve your family stories from D-Day and other important wartime moments. All you need to do is register with our website. Explore millions of military records entirely for free until 11th June and gain inspiration from incredible stories of bravery.

Can we be sure that once signed up and the free access ceases that you're not committed to a subscription. Silly question probably, but I've been caught out before with Ancestry where I've ended up with a yearly subscription.

I suppose the best way to check is via your Ancestry account?

As far as I can remember registering does not involve entering any payment details. If you sign up for free that is it.
I have an account to Forces War Records which, although owned by Ancestry, is separate. The only time I provided any payment details was when I subbed for 1 month to access some records. Just before the month was up I cancelled the subscription.
I think that is the key - make sure you check.

Can we be sure that once signed up and the free access ceases that you're not committed to a subscription. Silly question probably, but I've been caught out before with Ancestry where I've ended up with a yearly subscription.

I suppose the best way to check is via your Ancestry account?
I think the key is to follow Janice’s advice and make sure you cancel before the “free” period is over. Most such programs kick into “pay” as soon as the 30 days are up.

As far as I can remember registering does not involve entering any payment details. If you sign up for free that is it.
I have an account to Forces War Records which, although owned by Ancestry, is separate. The only time I provided any payment details was when I subbed for 1 month to access some records. Just before the month was up I cancelled the subscription.
I think that is the key - make sure you check.

yes you are correct jan..i sub a month at a time with ancestry using it only when i need to...as soon as my months subs has gone through i hit the cancel membership button and follow the instructions then i go to check my account and its all done..this does not acutally cancel your membership just your subscription then when i want another months subs i just subscribe for another month....quite easy to do and you will get an email to confirm this..if i forget to do this by the time the month has run out i will automatically be charged for another months subs which is no big deal as its only about £14 for a month..

lyn

Last edited:
yes you are correct jan..i sub a month at a time with ancestry using it only when i need to...as soon as my months subs has gone through i hit the cancel membership button and follow the instructions then i go to check my account and its all done..this does not acutally cancel your membership just your subscription then when i want another months subs i just subscribe for another month....quite easy to do and you will get an email to confirm this..if i forget to do this by the time the month has run out i will automatically charged for another months subs which is no big deal as its only about £14 for a month..

lyn
I do the same with Findmypast, only now I cancel the auto re-subscription at the same time as paying for a months worth. Been caught out twice in the last couple of years by not realising it was auto re-subscription or plain forgetfulness.

I do the same with Findmypast, only now I cancel the auto re-subscription at the same time as paying for a months worth. Been caught out twice in the last couple of years by not realising it was auto re-subscription or plain forgetfulness.
Most of the subs that I have used don’t have an auto resubsciption button. After being caught a couple of times I put an alert on my calendar

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Back