• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frank Harvey Winson Green Prison

Sam65

proper brummie kid
Relative Frank Harvey born 1914 was inmate in Winson Green Prison around 1953. I think the crime was fraud but not sure.
Before this Frank and John Sollars a friend we’re on bail and escaped to Ireland where they knocked on monastery doors for food. Priest said they should go back which they did to face hail. Anyone know anything about them please?

i have moved this thread to the correct section of the forum which is surname interests...

Frank Alfred Harvey I think. 11 Aug 1953 sent to trial accused of "...demanding £300 with menaces..."

Dec 1953 sent to gaol for 12 months.

Possibly got 9 months for theft in 1942.

Can't be totally certain it is him but there don't appear to be any other Frank Alfred Harvey it could be. This is from the Bham Daily Post, 25 Nov 1942...

"Frank Alfred Harvey (28), water inspector, pleaded guilty to breaking into a shop and stealing wedding rings and other articles. Mr Silverman, who defended, said that since his discharge from the army defendant had suffered from a nervous disease; he was subject to hallucinations and impulsive actions. Harvey was sentenced to 9 months hard labour."

Interesting as he is my dad!
I’m wondering if you would be able to send a press cutting for the trial in August 1953 for the £300 demanded with menaces -like who he demanded it off - my late mother had a young baby - me - must have been difficult. My dad told me he was the Robin Hood of Birmingham - but I don’t think so, he kept it for himself!
Thanks so much - I knew he was up to no good in his time - after skipping bail for the 1953 offences he converted to Catholicism by a priest in Cork so reformed somewhat.

It is him as he was born in 1914 and would be 28 as in the article you sent.
Interesting how we can piece things together!

I assume that the mention of Mr Frank Alfred Harvey of Church St, West Hagley (18 Oct 1968, Bham Daily Post) in regards his daughter and her boyfriend is your family.

Thanks for sending the attachment makes interesting reading.
Somewhere in Scotland yes the same.

Back