• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Francis Louise Payron

Pabloscheffel

proper brummie kid
France Louise Payton was my great grandmother. She married Bevan Randal Chantrill and they lived in Buenos Aires, Argentina until their deaths. My grandmother, Alice Bevan Chantrill was their eldest daughter. I know Frances Louise Payton belonged to the Payton family, owners of the jewelry firm, but I know nithing about her parents nor her relation to Charles Payton founder if the firm. I found out that my great grandfather also came from the Birmingham area, so they orobably met there. My greatgrandfather moved to Argentina around 1895 and I am aware they married there in 1896. I do not know when did she go to Argentina

Frances Louisa Payton was born Handsworth 1870, daughter of George John Payton and Anne Dingley.

Frances and Bevan married at St Bartholomew's, Edgbaston.

George John Payton was born 1843, the son of Charles Payton and Ann Bramhall.

There is also a mention in the Railway News of June 1910.

The Argentine Centenary Exhibition and a long list of British exhibitors
Bevan R Chantrill representing the Leeds Forge Co. Ltd.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, this is very enlightening. Do you know what was the occupation of my great grandfather Bevan Randall Chantrill and why he went to Argentina. Was there a family business? I am sending you a photo of my grandmother , Alice Bevan Chantrill as a young woman.

The marriage announcement you posted was that of my great aunt Joan and her husband Alfred Haynes. They bought land in the northeast of Argentina, where they lived until their retirement. Then they moved to England. Their descendants still own this property. My grandmother married Percival Bell but they lived separate lives after a few years.

The information came from the Newspaper Archive online and were the only to mentions under the name search, but I will have a look under Leeds Forge Co. Ltd. to see.

Plot thickens. In 1908 the Buenos Ayres (note spelling) Western Railway Co's annual meeting was held at River Plate House, London.

Ancestry records - there are several records of him sailing to and from Buenos Aires. This was the earliest but records only start in 1890 on Ancestry.
Name:Mr Bevan R Chantrill
Departure Date:2 Sep 1891
Departure Port:England
Ship Name:Britannia
Search Ship Database:Search for the Britannia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Destination Port:Buenos Aires, Argentina
Master:G E P Cook

Interesting. The Buenos Aires Western Railway was acquired by British Interests in 1890, and Bevan sails in 1891 !

By 1923 it was one of four British-owned railways with headquarters in Buenos Aires.

You may already know this but Bevan's father, James Bevan Chantrill was an exporter. Bevan's brother Frank is also in Buenos Aires in 1895. He died in USA as did another brother James.

A number of Bevan's brother appear to have unusual middle names (apart from both his own names) that appear to be ancestor's surnames, which I always find interesting and helpful (mostly).

The name Bevan appears to be the name of his father's maternal grandmother, Joanna Bevan. The others may be equally revealing.

Thank you. Yes, I was aware othat his brother Frank was in Argentina in 1895, but I did not know he ended in the US. A younger brother Reginald also lived in Argentina but he died in Ypres in action, during World War I
I met his youngest brother Leslie, whose daughter, Priscilla married Arturo Navajas. His family produced mate and tea, marketed under the name Taragui. I believe Leslie also was a farmer. I remember meeting him when I was a child. He used to stay at the Hurlingham Club, which was located outside Buenos Aires.
I believe the Chantrills had a Welsh grandmother, maybe she was a Bevan

So in the 1891 Census Bevan is 22 and listed as a Commercial traveller, living with father at 4 Manor Rd Edgbaston. The road has been developed but there are a few houses left that may give a size of the dwelling.

Appears on the Argentine 1895 Census.

He left for Argentina in September 1891 and appears as a representative of Leeds Forge Co. at the Argentine Centenary Exhibition in 1910

Last edited:
At the time of his unfortunate death in 1903 Bevan’s father, James Bevan Chantrill, was living at 421 Hargley Road. The dwelling may still be there.

In regards the Chantrill's Welsh grandmother it doesn't seem to be on the maternal side. James Bevan Chantrell's mother was Hannah Coles b1796 Buckingham, and her parents were Joseph Coles b1755 Biddlesden, Bucks and Joanna Bevan b1771 Drayton Parslow, Bucks. Before them I don't know.

Not sure where James Bevan Chantrill's father William was from, he dies before the censuses and he and Hannah appear to marry in Portsmouth.

And regarding (Arthur) Leslie, there are a number of passenger record for him going to Argentina. Were you aware that there were 2 younger brothers, Guy Mannering (1887) and Harold Hubert (1890)?

Also I can't seem to find the record of Frank in America now, so may have got confused there, sorry. Did Stanislaw die in Russia?

Last edited:
Birmingham Daily Mail, November 1917 reports…

News received of the death of Lieut. Reginald P Chantrill. Prior to the war he was in Argentina and along with his brother came home to enlist in the artillery. Both afterwards received commendations. RP Chantrill was for some years in Germany and Russia.

(further info…RP spent several years in Russia and Germany finishing his education, and then stated a business in Argentina. Came back to England and joined up with his brother Major AL Chantrill (RFA). Both brothers of WF Chantrill of Sherwood, Trelawney Road, Cotham.)

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
In regards the Chantrill's Welsh grandmother it doesn't seem to be on the maternal side. James Bevan Chantrell's mother was Hannah Coles b1796 Buckingham, and her parents were Joseph Coles b1755 Biddlesden, Bucks and Joanna Bevan b1771 Drayton Parslow, Bucks. Before them I don't know.

Not sure where James Bevan Chantrill's father William was from, he dies before the censuses and he and Hannah appear to marry in Portsmouth.

And regarding (Arthur) Leslie, there are a number of passenger record for him going to Argentina. Were you aware that there were 2 younger brothers, Guy Mannering (1887) and Harold Hubert (1890)?

Also I can't seem to find the record of Frank in America now, so may have got confused there, sorry. Did Stanislaw die in Russia?
Thank you, I didn't. I thought that Arthur Leslie was the youngest. I believe Guy Mannering stayed in England. I know nothing of Harold Hubert. Maybe I am wrong about the Welsh ancestry.

I had no idea Reginald was in Russia and in Germany before going to Argentina. He was the acting Captain of the Royal Field Artillery . British Expeditionary Forces.

Sorry the files are too big.
Try reading this to reduce image memory size

Thank you, I didn't. I thought that Arthur Leslie was the youngest. I believe Guy Mannering stayed in England. I know nothing of Harold Hubert. Maybe I am wrong about the Welsh ancestry.

The Welsh could be on the Chantrill side which I can't trace at the moment.

Guy went to Russia like Stanislaw, they both married Russian women and had children in St Petersburg. In 1921 he is back in London. With him is his only family and Stanislaw's.

Harold Hubert dies in Herefordshire, as far as I know he stays in England. He had 2 sons.

Adding to the globe trotting nature of the Chantrills - James Bevan's elder brother, William, appears to have emigrated to Australia - Stanislaw's son, Guy, appears to have travelled to Colombo, Sri Lanka in 1938 - and William Ernest's son, Bevan Stanislaw, appears to have travelled to South Africa in 1921 and married there in 1937.

So I think that may be all continents...except Antarctica.

Back