• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Francis John Alum Rock Road

COMPRESSORMAN

proper brummie kid
My grandfather lived at 44 alum rock rd saltley, circa 1950s, but cant find him on any register, can anyone help please, I can then continue with my family tree.

Many thanks for that, I wanted to know when he moved in there to then trace back the house before.

His wife (2nd ?) is living there prior to their marriage (1949) with her father from at least 1939 so I'd assume he moved in around 1949.

Before this he may have been living in Smethwick (not certain).

Yes thankyou, his first wife died 1945, he lived in Poplar rd, bearwood..so his second wife Edith owned the house, or was parents home...interesting this Tree business, cud u go back to who is parents were?

Would it still have been advantageous/necessary to reside in the same parish as the church that late?

Though because of their ages possibly married in the registry office?

If he was still living on Smethwick makes you wonder how they met.

I was wondering if he used her address by then or not - wasn't thinking about residing in the parish and thought it could be registry office marriage.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
This is very interesting so far..reference how did my grandad meet Edith, she worked for him, he evidently owned a factory in Hockley making ornaments of sorts, he made a bowls trophy cup, called I think the Francis Harris cup, my father played bowls, could we find out his business by any chance?..think GFather was also a Bookie.

• Appreciate
This is very interesting so far..reference how did my grandad meet Edith, she worked for him, he evidently owned a factory in Hockley making ornaments of sorts, he made a bowls trophy cup, called I think the Francis Harris cup, my father played bowls, could we find out his business by any chance?..think GFather was also a Bookie.
Harris was the name of his partner in turf accountancy I think Fred Harris had a shop on Bearwood Rd Smethwick, next door to the Corks club opp the Midland Red.

1911 census
1721140353756.png
living with wife Laura, sons Norman (b 1901) and Stanley (b 1906) plus nephew Bertie Humpage.

Might be worth checking 1921 census.

This wasn't easy and I could be wrong. Map from 1889, red arrow points to no. 78 Ruston St North. Green arrow points to no. 80, Ann's parents lived at 2 back 80 which if I had to guess was the house directly behind it...

0 - Ruston St North.jpg

i am trying to find any old photos of rushton st but for now i have this one of the vine pub corner of rushton st and rushton st and the pub is still there

Ladywood Vine Ladywood.jpgLadywood Vine Ruston Street.JPG

He seems to be listed as an electroplate worker.

Under employer there doesn't appear to be a company name, he just appears to be listed as Employer.
Tried Kelly's for 1921. He is listed in residents section at Poplar Road but no obvious entry in commercial.

• Appreciate
Back