• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Found them at last!!

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
Yesterday, after 3 years of searching I finally found the final resting place of my great, great grandparents, Thomas and Susan Woodyatt. Thomas died 1916 and Susan in 1935. they are buried in the same plot in Yardley in a private grave Susan must have purchased for Thomas and herself when Thomas died.

I also discovered that their daughter Elsie May was buried at Yardley in 1912 in a public grave so no marker but only a few dozen yards from where her parents finally ended up.

I would like to thank Wendy for all the help and suggestions she gave me in this quest. The lady that looked up the plots for me in the Yardley Cemetry office was very kind and helpful too, plotting both plots for me on a map of the cemetry.

Elsie's public grave is just a lawned area but Thomas and Susan's grave has a curb around it and a headstone although it was somewhat buried under a sea of leaves. I was very impressed to see gardeners trying their best to sweep and tidy up the leaves and I plan to return next spring to see if anything needs doing to preserve this little piece of my history.

Thanks for reading this and thanks again to Wendy the guardian angel of Birmingham's cemetries.
Helen

Helen I am thrilled at your success story. I find it very satisfying when someone locates a family grave as I know how it feels. The more people who find graves the better cemeteries and graveyards will look as no one looks after a grave as well as their own family. Thank you for letting us know the lovely story of your find. The cemetery staff do a wonderful job and do a lot of hard work behind the scenes.:)

Helen, I am really pleased for you that you found your family graves. I know exactly how you feel as Wendy helped me to find the graves of my Great Grandparents, Grandparents and Aunt and Uncle at Key Hill. There is something very special about being able to visit the final resting place of family you never met.
Polly :)

Back