• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Forman's Road Tyseley 1950s

David Greet

Brummie babby
Here's a memory for those who knew Forman's Road in the early mid 50s. My grandfather was an active allotment holder. When the harvest time of year arrived, surplus grown food, rhubarb, gooseberries and much more, was delivered to a man called locally as Ike Jones. He lived in one of the row of terraced houses in the middle of Forman's Road, which lie back from the road quite a way and are still there today.
He made wine (which was illegal at that time) and in Christmas week you went back and collected bottles of wine which equated to half of the produce that you had given him earlier. His 'profit' was the other half. I have strong memories of making the surreptitious visits to collect the wine. although at the age of around 9, I never got to taste any.

I dont think making wine was illegal. Home wine making was an old and traditional practice. It was selling it that was illegal

Whilst he may not have been 'selling' in the accepted sense, both he and his customers must have felt that the method of distribution was illegal given the cautious manner in which produce was delivered and wine collected.

Back