• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ford Family Garrison Lane.

Yes, I think that's Edward Adkins. He is the possible Emma's brother.
My thoughts MSW. Emma Adkins is sister of Edward snr
Emma Adkins married a Millward
As Emma Millward she is then widowed
She is then married to Benjamin Crumpton
Their child Emma jnr is born 1894

I have no evidence for this theory!

Attachments

• IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 6
Yes, that's the gist of what I said in post #188, though it's not as straightforward.

As I said Emma Adkins first husband (Ashwood Millward) doesn't seem to appear on any record after their marriage and Benjamin doesn't seem to appear on any record until he marries Emma in 1917 (when he is listed as James B Crumpton).

So the questions are - what happened to Ashwood Millward and where did (James) Benjamin Crumpton come from?

Yes, that's the gist of what I said in post #188, though it's not as straightforward.

As I said Emma Adkins first husband (Ashwood Millward) doesn't seem to appear on any record after their marriage and Benjamin doesn't seem to appear on any record until he marries Emma in 1917 (when he is listed as James B Crumpton).

So the questions are - what happened to Ashwood Millward and where did (James) Benjamin Crumpton come from?
I have a photograph to throw into the pot. It is of a person unknown in a military uniform. It looks circa 1890 and has been taken by a photographer in Poona.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
That is interesting because at one stage I thought Benjamin Crumpton was a Benjamin Crumpton who was born in Kidderminster in 1864.

On familysearch there are 3 mentions of a Benjamin Crumpton b1865 Worcestershire, residing in Bham in the military - 1891 Worcestershire Regiment, 1901 Royal Garrison Artillery & 1903 Worcestershire Regiment again. They appear to be the same person.

I couldn't connecting him to the Harry Crumpton who marries Emma's daughter though and then the use of James Benjamin put me off a bit. Also thought he might have married in Kidderminster.

And the Worcestershire Regiment were in Poona from 1890 until 1892.
There is a Ford family likeness. The soldier is in a light uniform. Alongside him is a spiked helmet. Possibly cavalry? He has a crossed gun badge and lower arm stripe. I understand that to mean a marksman with a wound stripe. Tinpot

I don't know much about military uniforms but there are some very knowledgeable members in that regard. So if you are able to post the picture they might be able to tell the regiment from it.

I don't know much about military uniforms but there are some very knowledgeable members in that regard. So if you are able to post the picture they might be able to tell the regiment from it.
Hi MSW. Just for information. 2nd Batt Worcs Reg were also in Poona January 1908 via Ceylon from S. Africa.

A Pte A Crumpton d 12/02/1900 and Pte D Millward d 08/01/1902 recorded with 2nd Batt in S Africa on Regimental Roll of Honour Tinpot

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It would be interesting if Emma's first husband was in the army and that's how Emma met Benjamin. Or scandalous if there relationship started before her first husband died.

There are 7 records that may shed light on things - 2 on Ancestry & 5 on findmypast.

On Ancestry there are baptism records for 2 of Emma's Milward children (Delia & John). Ashwood is listed as Ashford on both.

On findmypast there are 2 prison register records (may be the same event) for Ashwood, again listed as Ashford.

And again on findmypast the 3 army service records (1891, 1901 & 1903) for Benjamin Crumpton, that may be relevant.

Tinpot, in case of any use, Ancestry is apparently free to access over the bank holiday - you just have to register.

Tinpot, in case of any use, Ancestry is apparently free to access over the bank holiday - you just have to register.
Thanks Susan. That will give me chance to test run it. I'm waiting for a d/cert on Samuel Ford snr and mulling over info I have accumulated with everyone's help on BHF. Tinpot

And a quick look at Benjamin Crumpton's (b1865 Kidderminster) army records for 1901 reveals that he lists his abode as 11 Baker St and on 1901 census Emma Millward/Crumpton is living at - 11 Baker St.

So that ties them together definitely.

And a quick look at Benjamin Crumpton's (b1865 Kidderminster) army records for 1901 reveals that he lists his abode as 11 Baker St and on 1901 census Emma Millward/Crumpton is living at - 11 Baker St.

So that ties them together definitely.
I have got 2 locations for Baker St . One in Small Heath between Grange Rd and Muntz St. The other is in Sparkhill/
Greet area.

Just going back to 8 Mona Rd where George 111 and Margaret Lily were born. I have found that in 1891 census transcript located somewhere between/off Watery Lane and Kingston Rd. There is a short cul de sac that could possibly be the place but no name on my map. Tinpot

Regarding the stories about 'peaky blinders' and to give you an idea how dangerous Garrison Lane might have been (i.e. young thugs in the area were said to have attached razer blades to the underneath of their peaked caps and if they took against you would try to blind you with them). My cousin's husband who is in his 90s, told me that when he was a boy, his father warned him never to walk down that road (1920s/30s) because of the peaky blinders. Apologies to former residents. You may tell a different story. I did try to watch one episode of the TV series but was so put off by the Manchester location and London accents of the Birmingham characters, I gave up in disgust after a few minutes.
Hi Susan,
I have just read your post #79. My husband and I started to watch the series, we were really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, like you we only ever watched one episode for exactly the same reason as you. No one agreed with us of course, so am pleased to read your remarks.
Anyways, enjoying reading another great thread, many thanks all. Sue

Thanks MWS Ihave found both of them on earlier maps now. Interesting to see that Mona Road backed onto a brickworks where there is in 1951 a recreation ground. Tinpot
I have had time over the weekend to look through old papers and come across some recollections by Elsie May Ford about her early life written when she was 80. She says her Gran & Grandad Crumpton lived on the opposite side of Arthur St. James Benjamin Crumpton fought in the Boer War. "He was a very tall man. He never went out without a stick, a flower in his buttonhole, his shoes would be highly polished and he had a little dog. He had an allotment and he and Gran used to sell flowers from a barrow outside the Wrexham pub on Coventry Rd. l believe they used to call him Small Heath Jimmy."

She also wrote that her gran & grandad George H Ford (I) lived in Henley St Camp Hill. They lived down the first yard from the Ship pub. Tinpot

This is an important message to us all, i.e. that we should record our memories of people from the past for the future, for when we ourselves are gone. They bring the past and the passed to life and are beyond price. Also, I think that this is the great value of this forum. Capturing knowledge of the lives and what was special about the people of Birmingham is precious.

Last edited:
I have had time over the weekend to look through old papers and come across some recollections by Elsie May Ford about her early life written when she was 80. She says her Gran & Grandad Crumpton lived on the opposite side of Arthur St. James Benjamin Crumpton fought in the Boer War. "He was a very tall man. He never went out without a stick, a flower in his buttonhole, his shoes would be highly polished and he had a little dog. He had an allotment and he and Gran used to sell flowers from a barrow outside the Wrexham pub on Coventry Rd. l believe they used to call him Small Heath Jimmy."

She also wrote that her gran & grandad George H Ford (I) lived in Henley St Camp Hill. They lived down the first yard from the Ship pub. Tinpot
This is an important message to us all, i.e. that we should record our memories of people from the past for the future, for when we ourselves are gone. They bring the past and the passed to life and are beyond price. Also, I think that this is the great value of this forum. Capturing knowledge of the lives and what was special about the people of Birmingham is precious.

Elsie also wrote about life in Arthur St which I will post at some time.

Susan you were able to give me some information previously from a 1939 ID register. Is it possible to check if either George H (1) or Mary Ford are still at an address on Henley St Camp Hill at that time? Tinpot

There are several Fords on the 1939 for Henley Street. Have attached the page.

Attachments

• Ford - Henley street.jpg
    Ford - Henley street.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
There are several Fords on the 1939 for Henley Street. Have attached the page.
5bk9 looks likely to be Mary Ford wife of GH Ford(1) deceased. Elsie May wrote that Grandad Ford had a heart attack whilst on his allotment in 1936. Possible Frederick Ford is their son. Thanks Susan.

I can't search for a map at the moment as the map site seems to be down.
Yes I found that too Janice earlier. It was down in Chrome and Firefox, and Edge was on about it being a risky site. I have just found that the ebay server is down as well. Possibly some sort of denial of service attack going on

This is a map of the area from about 1916. I think the yard would have been the one I have put the red cross in.
1617895972477.png

Back