• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Footitt

Mary-anne

proper brummie kid
I am looking for my Grandmothers and her sisters birth certificates. Grace Winifred Footitt was born in 1891 and Alice/Lilla was born in 1890 in Nechells and their father was Walter Slight Footitt but I don't know who their mother was for sure. They had a sister Eveline Slight Footitt whose certificate I have obtained born in 1892 and her mother was Annie Elizabeth Hunt. Grace and Lilla are on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census's but I can't find them in the BMD indexes.

Mary-anne

Hello Mary-Anne.
There are a Footitt family around here (Rugby/Coventry) - they are mostly lawyers, maybe they could cast some light for you.
Best of luck,
Ted.

ive found your family on the 1891 ancestry census as footill

walter footill 30 drapers asst b. noes herefordshire
anna footill 21 b. levington warwickshire
walter 7
geatrice? 5
alice 2
grace 2 mths living 30 cook st. aston

i can see that there were two marriages recorded for walter slight footitt

1882 in bham 1899 in aston but neither was to annie elizabeth hunt.

i have looked through the births but cannot find them either. hope someone else can think of anything to help you :rolleyes:

I had a look through the death register, all i found was

Lizzie Footitt 26 1st qtr 1888 King's N 6c 297

I then looked back through the marriages and found

Walter Slight Footitt/Elizabeth Lampard 2nd qtr 1882 Birmingham 6d 286

Elizabeth/Lizzy ?? Maybe

I found this birth -

Walter Blight Footit 4th qtr 1860 Ross 6a 382

The district Ross spans the boundaries of the counties of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Hereford and Worcester;

Sorry, gonna knock it on the head for now, fast approaching 4:00am, might do better when i am a bit fresher, or not :D

bren

Hi Bren

Walter Slight Footitt was married 3 times and he had 2 children, Walter and Beatrice, with Elizabeth Lampard his 1st wife. Elizabeth died and on the 1901 census are Walter, Beatrice, my grandmother Grace, her sister Lilla and Eveline and Walter is now a widower again! I haven't been able to find a marriage to Eveline's mother Annie Elizabeth Hunt even though it states on the birth certicate that her married name is Footitt. I have found the death for an Annie Elizabeth Hunt in 1897 aged 28 in Aston stating she is the daughter of William Harvey Hunt and her brother registered the death and he was living in Leamington Spa which is where it says she was born on the 1891 census. The dates seem to be right but no mention of Walter and he then married again in 1899 to an Emma Jones who died a few months later and he then married again in 1903 to an Edith Reason with whom he had 3 more children but one died and he died in 1908. He registered all the children so it seems strange that I can't find Grace and Lilla. I have been trying to solve this mystery for nearly 5 years and I don't think he married Annie and Grace and Lilla may not be Walters children but took his name.
I think I will apply to Birmingham Register Office for Grace's birth certificate and hope they find one if not I will have to give up.
Thanks for your help.

Mary-Anne

Hi Mary-anne

Had a look again, i am thinking he didn't marry the mother of Lilla and Grace and they was registered in their mothers name.
Lilla is an unusual name, there was only four born from the start of 1889 to the end of 1890 in B,ham, i then looked at births for Grace --

Lilla Priscilla Millward 3rd qtr 1889 Aston 6d 341

Grace Millward 1st qtr 1891 Aston 6d 335

Pure speculation i know but they fit the time frame/ages for the 1891 Census and none of the other names came close to a match.
You could send for them and ask they only send them if the named father is Walter but then again they could say that there is no named father.
Sorry but that is about the best i can come up with at the moment unless anyone else can come up with anything

bren

Hi Bren

Grace and Lilla P Millward are on the 1891 and 1901 census's so they are not my relations I'm afraid. It's looks like they are cousins as I have found them with different families.

Thanks again for your help.

Happy New Year.

Mary-anne

My mother was a Footitt. She was born Adeline Hilda Footitt in 1913 in Hereford, but her grandfather was george Footitt, a Malster who was born in Spalding, Lincs, but married a Mary Slight from Nottinghamshire. I would be interested to find out if this Footitt line are connected to yours.

Regards

Steve Ruston

Hello Steve

George Footitt born in Spalding, Lincs was my Gt Gt Grandfather and Mary Slight was my Gt Gt Grandmother as far as I know. Their son Walter Slight Footitt was my Gt Grandfather and moved to Aston, Birmingham and my Gt Grandmother was probably Annie Elizabeth Hunt born in Leamington Spa but I can't find a marriage certificate or a birth certificate for my Grandmother Grace Winifred Footitt who was born in Birmingham so she may not have been Walter's child but took his name. I have since found Lilla's birth certificate and she was Lizzie Mary but must have been called Lilla and her mother was Walter's first wife Elizabeth Lampard. Any information would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mary-anne

Hi Mary-Ann

In the 1881 census for Ross, George and Mary (formerly Slight) were living in Ross-on-Wye with their children. However, Walter Slight Footitt was not among them. Presumably he had already left the family to work (and perhaps marry). My grand-father was their youngest child. He was 8 at the the time of that census. George had been a Latster, as you know, and he continued his profession in Ross. I guess he went there because of work, but one could wonder, why Ross? It would not have been a particularly large town. Perhaps he was offered a managerial role, but the 1881 census does not say so.

Do you have much information of George's ancestors and also Mary's?

Regards

Steve (from Sydney. Australia)

Hello Steve

George Footitt born in Spalding, Lincs was my Gt Gt Grandfather and Mary Slight was my Gt Gt Grandmother as far as I know. Their son Walter Slight Footitt was my Gt Grandfather and moved to Aston, Birmingham and my Gt Grandmother was probably Annie Elizabeth Hunt born in Leamington Spa but I can't find a marriage certificate or a birth certificate for my Grandmother Grace Winifred Footitt who was born in Birmingham so she may not have been Walter's child but took his name. I have since found Lilla's birth certificate and she was Lizzie Mary but must have been called Lilla and her mother was Walter's first wife Elizabeth Lampard. Any information would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mary-anne

Annie Elizabeth Hunt died in birmingham 1897 age 28 so it appears she was not married to Walter.

Hi Steve

George married Mary Slight on 16th June 1851 in Rolleston, Notts and he was a labourer at the time and his father was William Fottit (different spelling) a miller and Mary's father was William Slight a labourer.

Have you access to any other census's because Footitt has been spelt wrongly on most of them which makes it hard to find.

Mary-anne

Hi Mary-anne

Yes, I have access to all the censuses through membership of the Society of Genealogists here in Sydney. As you say, incorrect spelling has caused some problems with this family. I had information on both the fathers. Have you managed to go back any further yet? I keep trying.

Regards

Steve

Back