• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fletchers

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I see A.B.Fletchers in Gt Lister St, are closing down in February. I spent many a hour in there searching through the racks and boxes for the parts I needed. I think thats where most of my spanners came from as well. Another well known store bites the dust, shame.

Terry

Terry look under the thread the cars that we own" started yesterday , one blink and its done . Dek

I too spent many happy hours sorting through the many auto jumble boxes at Fletchers. They were taken over a number of years ago but continued to trade under the original name. Following the take over the store lost much of its auto ambience and became like a branch of Halfords with prices to match.

It's a shame to see Fletchers go, as you say Terry many a happy hour or two spent in there. I was a shame when the went up market a few years ago, I liked the old Flecthers a lot better with boxes of nuts, bolts and other goodies lining the shelves. I also liked the little section they had selling ex-Army stuff. I remember my Dad telling me about when Fletchers first started and had a lot of ex-Army gear including lorries and even a Army tank for sale in the back yard. I think one of the Flecther brothers had a small car accessory shop in Erdington aslo, I don't know if that is still going or not. With the old Fletchers if you could not get what you wanted for your car in there or something that was close enough to do, then they probably did not make it!

It's a shame to see Fletchers go, as you say Terry many a happy hour or two spent in there. I was a shame when the went up market a few years ago, I liked the old Flecthers a lot better with boxes of nuts, bolts and other goodies lining the shelves. I also liked the little section they had selling ex-Army stuff. I remember my Dad telling me about when Fletchers first started and had a lot of ex-Army gear including lorries and even a Army tank for sale in the back yard. I think one of the Flecther brothers had a small car accessory shop in Erdington aslo, I don't know if that is still going or not. With the old Fletchers if you could not get what you wanted for your car in there or something that was close enough to do, then they probably did not make it!

Still there last weekend, its more like the old Fletchers was, and a lot like the one that used to be in Aston. As an aside, what was the motorbike shop just down the road from the aston shop called ? It was a sort of Fletchers for bike bits. The two go together in my memory,

Hello, my husband seems to think it was called Aston Autos Motorcycles, he thinks it was near to Dartmouth St, but on the other side, and may have been painted red.

Trebor

Thanks for the info on the Erdington Fletchers, I must pop up and take a look, I have not been up that way for ages.

hi fatfingers
aston auto cycles was along the lichfield rd just past th star pub
and just around from the avenue rd by st marys
in fact i would say it was facing the big broom hardware store whee there was
a very big giant hard broom hangng just above the shop front
it was fixed to a bracket and just around the corner old man fletcher lived in the first batch of houses
and thats where he stated with is old orange boxes of old head lamps and bits and bobs
but thats whre the aston cycle was facing the big brom on lichfeld rd
my youngr brother bought is first motor bike from there the bantom 125.
and his mate was frenchie whom dad was frenchies fruit and veg on the lichfield rd
whom went with him to collect it and check it out
and they both worked at buttons in portland st, along withmyself
best wishes Astonian ;;

Hi does anyone know if any of the Fletcher family are still about, used to know Barry and John the twins and cant quite remember the other brother,

A B Fletcher's in the 1950's used to have Army tanks stored under the Railway Viaduct in Lawley St, you had to dodge the watchman [rotating the gun turret was a daft move !].....younger brother was Brian.

Last edited:
Fletcher also had a large yard in Heneage street. We used to crawl under the gate and play in the tanks that were there. Great fun rotating the turrets.

Back