• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finding schools/records.

Keith R

master brummie
Its hard finding records for our family through the 1920's.
They had 1st child in 1920....lost one in 1921.....another in 1923 and finally one in 1924 that died in 1927.
The 1st child ended up with father (1939 register) and the last died at Western Road but home address was at Fatheres parents.
The middle child was wifes Mother and we have no idea where she lived. She did say she was with Father for a few years but must have been told this when she was older. The only record after her birth we have is 1939 at her Maternal GMothers.
If we could trace here at school (if thats possible) it might help track her life.
The Fathers area was Monument Road and the 2 sets of parents lived almost side by side in Cheapside so is there a way of finding out which schools she might have attended,and when she would have started school.
Thanks.

hi keith this is a question often asked and i think the answer is it would be very difficult to find out...i take it your wifes mother never said what schools she attended ?

what was her name and date of birth? and her parents names ?

lyn

Last edited:
You would be extremely lucky to find school records.
Schools simply did not have the space to keep all the records they would amass for any one child. This makes tracing schools hard.
There is also something called the "100 year rule" which means records less than 100 years old are "closed" (not available to the general public).
Admissions registers may be at the archives in Birmingham but you would probably need to check manually.

i agree jan the best anyone can do is to list all possible schools they could have attended (could be a long list ) then pop to the birmingham library and check all the admissions records for all of those schools...long shot and time consuming..

this hundred year rule baffles me as i was able to view the admissions record for the infant and junior school i went to however when i asked to see the punishment records for someone else i was told i was not allowed to due to the 100 year ruling..so maybe the 100 year rule does not apply to admissions...never quite sure about this

lyn

Thank you both for your help.....
The wifes Mother was Ivy May Bayley 1923-1981
Her Mother May Butcher 1901-1955
Father was Charles William Bayley 1900-1971..they were married in 1919.
When Ivy was born they were at back of 300 Monument Road but always seemed to be on the move.Before 1923 the other children were born at Great Tindall St and the last childs address was 7 back 16 Charles Henry St.
They seem to have gone different ways after last child born and last child Edna Joan died in 1927 and her address was at Charles' Mothers house in Cheapside.
Charles was in prison for 4 months later in 1927 and as he was looking after 1st child Doris Cecilia I assume she must have been at the mothers as well....she lived with her father up until she married.
Ivy May seems to be the mystery one in all this. She did tell my wife that her father looked after her early on ( we think Aunts must have told her this). The only record we can find since her birth in 1923 is at 1939 and shes with her Gmother in Quinton.
My wife spent well over 60 years thinking a lot of people were her Aunts and her best friend her cousin but in fact we find they are from a previous generation...Great Aunts and 2nd cousin.

I know it will be hard to identify any schools but I think its the only way to see where Ivy was at this period.
Thanks.

Last edited:
hi keith thanks for all that info you have so far...very difficult to pin ivy down for the years you are searching but lets give it some thought as something may turn up yet...also mysteries like this often keep us miss marples out of trouble

lyn

So kind of you to help.....She died very young before any family stories could be passed on.

we really dont mind helping keith especially when our members make the effort themselves and hit brick walls..always difficult to solve when family die young as you say no time to pass on their stories...fingers crossed...do you have the 1921 census ?i know ivy may wont be on it but it will give you the address of where charles william and may was living and who else was living there

lyn

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Sorry I have taken so long to reply...yes I have the1921 transcript and have been looking for a digi version but can only find my printed one....
Charles William Bayley - coal carter...W Burgan St Vincents Wharfe.
May Bayley- Home Duties.
Doris C Bayley age 1.
Vera E Bayley age months.
Address - 20 Gt Tindall Street.

not sure keith what you mean by a digi one but i have the transcript and written one if you want them i can post them for you ?

lyn

By digi I meant I cant save it to the PC so I could put it on here.....I printed it off about 18 months ago.
I only had the one off Findmypast for a few quid.
If you could put them up that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Wow thanks for them. It seems he prefered to be called William.Have to do searches with William to see if anything turns up.

From all the records we have he seems to declare things differently everytime. His 2nd marriage cert is hillarious compared to previous things.....lol

Back