• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Famous people with a Birmingham Connection (how many do you know)?

I have two favourites, First the reliefs in the Hall of Memory. So beautifully carved and I feel such a fitting tribute.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413212624.386478.jpg

I also like the very simple deer at the Birchfield Harriers old stadium. Used to pass it every day. I think this would have been carved at the Golden Hillock studio, but I doubt the Hall of Memory panels would have been.Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413212774.357862.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One thing strikes me about Bloye and that is he wasn't too proud to accept commercial work and all over Birmingham besides his Civic works we can also see his work displayed for all to see on many of the city's public houses.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 5 The Mermaid Stratford Rd.jpg
    5 The Mermaid Stratford Rd.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 11
As his ONLY at that time apprentice, I off course got to taste all his commercial doings as well as his artistic ones. I hand wrote, Railway time schedules in a dark dungeon like workplace below New Street station. I carved inscription in the wooden walls at a crematorium, with a smell I will never forget! . I helped repair the plaster cornices in the ceilings of old mansions, damage done by bombs in WW2. Hand worked up the clay that was used and mixed all the plaster of Paris that was used. Tea had to be made first thing and the fires lit to keep all warm. run errands on my bike as needed. Of course I rode my bike rain or shine for Moat Lane in Yardley to Golden Hilllock in Small Heath. Mr.Bloye must have had quite an income from all this. But happy days never the less. John Crump

Many of the cornices that had been damaged by bombings in the mansions, had to be recreated in clay first then cast in plaster Paris with cloth reinforcement, in the studio, then taken to the site and installed. All the carvings that you have photos off, where modeled in clay first. The larger statues where done in clay at smaller scale and then larger and then bronzed cast. John Crump

Here's another little quiz for those who find themselves at a loose end over Christmas. As usual all these people have a connection with Birmingham, if you know what the connection is all well and good. Though the idea of the quiz is just to name them, I've tried to make them not too hard so everybody can a least have a go at it.

As usual I won't give any answers until they have all been answered correctly.

Attachments

• Who is this 3.jpg
    Who is this 3.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 59
Oh dear, Jean, you will be in trouble here. Gil was the great 'Blues' & England goalkeeper. At least you got the right person!! Eddie

Oh Chris it was just a deliberate mistake!.
th
Pete said it was him.

Well that didn't take long did it? The way we do this is, the first to get a question correct takes it and the one who gets the most correct answers wins the competition. First things first here are the answers.

A. Anna Quayle
B. Mandy Rice Davis
C. David Cox
D. George Cadbury
E. Gil Merrick
F. Ian Lavender
G. John Wyndham
H. Mathew Boulton.
I. Nicol Williamson
J. Washington Irving

The results were,

First Place. Carolina 4 first correct answers
Second Place. Two 3 correct answers
Third Place. Jayell 2 correct answers
Fourth Place. G G Jean 1 correct answer.

Well done to the winner Carolina, thanks to everybody who took part, and a very happy and prosperous New Year to you all.

Jean

I know you did but I have only listed the first three who answered the most, but just for you I will complete the list

Thank you Phil I promise never to sulk again!!!.
th
Jean. Thank you Phil. Pete told me the answer though.

Last edited:
Time for another quiz, same rules as usual. Try to name the 21 people in the photos (a to u) they all have a connection to Birmingham, I won't give any answers until all 21 have been answered. Then the person who names the most faces first wins the competition.

Attachments

• img235.jpg
    img235.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 62
D. Ann Jones
G Mo Mowlem
I Simon Bates
0. Felicity Jones
P Maggie Philbin
T Trevor Eve

Last edited:
Carolina

Four out of six, not a bad start. Of course I'm not saying which four yet.

A - Anthony E Pratt
B - Sid Field
C - Alfred Bird
D - Anne Jones
E - Julia Hartley-Brewer
F - Alec Issigonis (Sir)

L - Keith Arkell
M - Dennis Amiss
N - Andrew Tiernan
O - Felicity Jones
P - Sally James

Back