• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Evans Family - Joseph Evans born Aston

J

Jane Aires

Help! I have ground to a halt on my Evans family line!

According to the 1851 Census my paternal Gt, Gt Grandfather - Joseph Evans - was born in Aston, Birmingham about 1820.

I cannot find him or his father on the 1841 census.

In 1850 he married Ann Packer in Northampton. On his marriage certificate he gave his father's name as Joseph Evans, a Gardener. He remained in Northampton where he worked as a Shoe Maker until his death from a gastric bug in 1889.

I cannot find any concrete evidence of his birth - the IGI gives a possible baptism at St Phillips, Birmingham for a Joseph Evans in 1820. son of Joseph & Ellen Evans. How close is this to Aston? Is it likely that a child would have been baptised in the Cathedral when there was a church in Aston?

Please help me - my knowledge of Birmingham is scant to say the least!!!!

If there is any kind soul out there with any ideas of how I can move forward I would be very grateful indeed!!

Thank you!

Jane Aires (nee Evans)

the date you gave as the baptism this date St Phillips was the parish church it was made up to a cathedral later just a brief resume below Aston was not part of Birmingham till 1911 I have relatives who though born in Aston were baptised at St Phillips some parts of Aston came almost to the city centre just a walk away from the church   

At the heart of the city is the 18th century St Philip's Birmingham Cathedral.

Famous for its stained glass by Burne-Jones, it became the cathedral for the new Diocese of Birmingham in 1905.

The popular churchyard, beautifully restored in 2000-2001, has a perimeter of cast-iron railings, with a double row of plane trees and is a popular place for workers to take there lunch break.

To add to your description John isn't St Philips the smallest cathedral in England?

Thanks for the info!

The IGI entry is a "definate maybe" then!!!

Back