• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Evacuation Of Children World War 2

• Thread starter Thread starter Beryl M
  • Start date Start date
Amber thank you so very much that is just about the nicest reaction I have ever had to the nightmare that was our (stolen) youth. A nightmare that comes back every time I visit Brum and only goes away when I leave the UK, that's why I'm so happy in my new found home land, Belgium. It's really not fair to be exiled by my memories in this way.

Graham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all It seems i have not kept my promise to relate some of the experiences I had while being evacuated . I see there has been some change to this forum so I will wait a while and see how this reply is proccessed and I will wite agin soon Cheers Old browny

Hi Chris I do not have time to send the story in tonight . I am a slow typer so will have to wait till Wednesdy
Off to Melbourne to see the Rugby League Poms v Aussies tomorrow so will catch you all later Old browny alias Old Brummy

hi joe. yes please write your story. as you know i do a little bit about it but cant wait for the longer version. enjoy the rugby.

lyn.

My family lived in the countryside just outside Worcester during the war. Their house was a sitting room kitchen one medium sized and one small bedroom plus bathroom. When the bombs fell on London a married couple with two children were delivered to our house. They proved to be quite demanding , mother was on her own weekdays because father was in Birmingham bricking up windows and building air raid shelters.
The situation was fraught but when the first bombs fell on Birmingham mother had a major influx of family members. The adults quickly went back home to work but my cousins stayed and went to school locally. The other family moved to The Grange where the house keeper stood no nonsense and they were confined to the servants quarters. When I visited the old house several years ago I was surprised how small it was but many family members brought up large numbers of children in the back to backs so I supose they were well adapted to living in well packed conditions

thank you chris for sharing your story. you are right when you say in those days there could be very cramped conditions indeed. i can only take my hat off to those who indured the harshness and heartache that the wars inflicted. it always amazes me how they got through it with most times a smile of their faces.

see you soon at the 60s night.

wales.

Amber thank you so very much that is just about the nicest reaction I have ever had to the nightmare that was our (stolen) youth. A nightmare that comes back every time I visit Brum and only goes away when I leave the UK, that's why I'm so happy in my new found home land, Belgium. It's really not fair to be exiled by my memories in this way.

Graham.

I just wanted to tell you my feelings. I am so happy for you that you found a new home land!
It is just good to know that exactly people that lived though so hard times will be happy one day :-)

picture.php

Still have all my evacuation papers,including the little label for my overcoat.
Probably missed the train from Aston station.
I did post them on a thread some time ago but they have gone.

Still have all my evacuation papers,including the little label for my overcoat.
Probably missed the train from Aston station.
I did post them on a thread some time ago but they have gone.
Hi Ray,
I seem to remember your photos and they brought back memories for me, even though I stayed in Brum to experience the bombing. I've just looked at your previous post here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23006&p=197387#post197387
and although there is a box for 'thumbnails' they are not there - I've never noticed that happen before.
oldmohawk

How did you find them mohawk? I couldn't.I still have these papers because I didn't go,I stayed in Aston,my unfortunate cousins had to go to Wales.

Hello Ray,
I clicked the 'Search' in the top line, and put the word 'evacuation' in the box that came up, left it on 'show threads', clicked 'go' and went down the threads until I saw the one you started. However, the photos appear to have gone which is a pity because they were a part of our history. There are several threads about evacuees, perhaps you should repost them in this current thread.
oldmohawk.

i know this is a long shot but does anyone have any photos of evacuees with queen mary at the duke of beauforts estate at badminton?my mom and uncle were evacuated there the day before war broke out. she said that they were the last two kids left at the village hall and a rather 'posh' lady came to collect them in a car. it turned out that she was the duchess. mom remembers going gardening with queen mary and pulling the ivy off the trees. the queen gave my mom some silk gloves to use as gardening gloves as she was concerned that she had none. don't think she realised that kids from inner city brum didn't have a garden let alone any gardening gloves. mom remembers queen mary as very nice. mom stayed with mr and mrs burbidge who lived over the kennels and looked after the hounds of the beaufort hunt. after 6 months mom wrote and asked to go back home but many of the others stayed with other famillies who lived and worked on the estate until the end of the war.

Re: welsh web site

hi david...just noticed this link..i will have a look at it later on..just as an aside our dad was evacuated to wales and in 2008 we took him back to skenfrith where he stayed with lovely folk..it was his first trip back for 70 years and just by luck he mangaged to meet up with his war time best friend who still lived locally..dads story and pics of the trip are one the forum...it still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about their meeting...3 months later dad had a stroke which has rendered him bed bound so that trip was made just in time..

lyn.

just had a look for dads evacuee story and pics david and unless i am looking in the wrong place i think the thread has gone...it was posted in august 2008...will look for it later as im just on my way to visit dad..:)

lyn

hi david...just noticed this link..i will have a look at it later on..just as an aside our dad was evacuated to wales and in 2008 we took him back to skenfrith where he stayed with lovely folk..it was his first trip back for 70 years and just by luck he mangaged to meet up with his war time best friend who still lived locally..dads story and pics of the trip are one the forum...it still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about their meeting...3 months later dad had a stroke which has rendered him bed bound so that trip was made just in time..

lyn.

A fascinating but touching post, Lyn. It's lovely to read of hospitality in the Principality. D.

david the people were wonderful and so helpful..we felt as though we had known them forever:)its the first time for ages that i have looked at that thread..its been to upsetting until now as af a year afte the tripr we lost our mom who also came with us...but i am now able to look back on it with fond memories:)

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks very much, ChrisM, for letting us know where Lyn's postings were. The thread you mention in Post #8 is certainly fascinating in that we're shown the two extremities of human "hospitality". Fortunately most people seem to have found generous, understanding host families. On the other hand, three or four posts describe unforgiveable, cruel behaviour to luckless children who had initially been accepted into their homes. Why on Earth did these heartless people put their names down to have "guests" in their homes if the youngsters were then treated so harshly? Were payments made by some authority to encourage host families to have children from attackable English industrial centres join their families? A few accounts are truly horrific and people's actions deplorable; my thoughts are with the 'children' who had been haplessly assigned to them. David

ppopp.jpeg
It was 1939 when this motley crew of evaquees were at Snow Hill Station, were you one of them or do you know any of them. I do not have any further details.

My uncle was evacuated out to Hereford to a farm run by the Cheese family - he was clever and at grammar school, so even though he was 15 still went away, my dad who was only 8, stayed home.
Sue

Hello everyone, Just looked into this site and although the stories go back through the latter years I thought I might add my story , better late than never, here goes:-
Like all evacuees we were told that we had to go away because the nasty Germans might be coming, my age at that time was 11 so with our little parcels and our labels tied to our coats off we went, my sister who was two and half years older and I set off from Camden Street Schoo out lvia New Spring Street Entrance up the street we went in orderly file with several teachers ushering us along, turning right along Clissold Street and up to Pitsford Street Railway goods Yard walked across the yard and onto a train, everyone all excited (Except the Teachers) at this adventure we were going on, on board we went, after a while the train set off, no one knew were we going but the excitement was tremendous.
A few hours later we stopped at a place called Monmouth outside the station children were herded onto a single decker bus that was there and the majority got on and off they went, my sister and I were ushered into a car and off we went. on and on, it seemed to be forever then we came to a little village through the village we went and turned right into another road, just a little way down this road we turned into some large gates, by this time it was getting dusk and into a hall we went, lots of people were there and taking children out with them about half a dozen were left including my sister and I, a couple of ladies took hold of our hands and walked us out and down the path that we had just driven up, walked down the road and came to a couple of cottages, the lady knocked on the door and a woman came I heard the lady ask if she would take one of us evacuees in, after some deliberation she said she would take one only and picked me, I refused to go in without my sister, they coaxed me saying that my sister would be just down the road.
When I got inside and exchanged name the lady asked if I would like something to eat, Would I? I was starving, would you like some fish and chips? the obvious answer was a resounding YES would you like some pop again a great nodding of head, which type of course I said every lads favourite Dandelion and Burdoch, the lady came back a little later on with this mouth watering smell of Fish and Chips, I gorged and drank until my little belly was as full as can be.
Off to bed in my own little room, delight upon delight, till I found that the toilet was down the bottom of the garden, no lights and a wooden hut. Oh dear!! during the night, following my feast and drink also the excitement of all this to-ing and fro-ing my bladder forgot to wake me up during the night and I had a very wet bed next morning.
Next morning, Reece and Flo were very kind about the problem, Reece asked me if I would like to go to work with him to which I said yes, we walked through the village back from where we had walked last night meeting my sister on the way, after a while he took me up a hill and halfway up we stopped and said "That's where I work" my eyes popped out of my head, right at the top of that hill reared a very large 'Castle' Raglan Castle and that was also the name of the village 'Raglan'. My adventures then began. If this story is enjoyed and would like to hear more, post a reply.
Brookieboy

hello norman...glad you made it to here and have started posting your memories and boy i do know that you have loads...what a great way to start off your days as an evacuee....do you know i still buy dandelion and burdoch pop..takes me right back to my own childhood...oh and yes please carry on with your story and memories..its just like reading a book...

lyn

Hi Brookieboy - Thanks for your interesting story brings back memories. I remember watching some school friends getting on buses at the local school all labelled up to go away, but for some reason I and my sister did not. We never really found out why and we were too young to ask parents awkward questions in those days, so we stayed in Brum and 'enjoyed' the bombing.
oldmohawk

Back