• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

UPDATE..

you have your wish wend...alan green the grandson of albert edward sharp has contacted the evening mail after seeing our article..he and his family are backing the campaign to have the memorial back in erdington..my telephone number has been passed onto alan who said he will be getting in touch and thinks he may have a photo of his grandad somewhere..how good would that be:encouragement:

looking at the info thread alans mother was the first born to albert edward sharp...

will keep you updated folks

lyn

Last edited:
UPDATE..

you have your wish wend...alan green the grandson of albert edward sharp has contacted the evening mail after seeing our article..he and his family are backing the campaign to have the memorial back in erdington..my telephone number has been passed onto alan who said he will be getting in touch and thinks he may have a photo of his grandad somewhere..how good would that be:encouragement:

looking at the info thread alans mother was the first born to albert edward sharp...

will keep you updated folks

lyn

Wow Lyn, Who would have thought that your original post two weeks ago would have resulted in this! Massive WELL DONE everyone!!!

That's brilliant news Lyn. I was just trying to imagine how I'd feel if I saw the article and it was one of my relations. Absolute amazement would be an understatement. Hope Alan reads all the info which Ken R put together on the other thread. It's very comprehensive and he might find info in there he didn't know about his grandfather. Viv.

Lyn, you should be very proud for your personal achievement and for flying the flag for BHF, Alberta.

That's wonderful Lyn. The finding of the relative will make a good story for the mail (and BHF) as well

oh gosh folks now i am blushing...thank you all for your lovely comments but in truth my reward will be to see these 7 heroes of ours put back where they should be for all to see...viv i dont think alan is on the net so hannah hines read out all the info found about his grandad and he was so chuffed about just how much detail there was...i was asked for a quote about alan getting in touch with the mail so its looking like a follow up article will be in the mail in the next few days..this is gathering pace now and we are not done yet:encouragement: my head is now spinning lol

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn and all the other members who have helped. A truly wonderful and worthwhile cause. WELL DONE ALL!!!!

These Heroes were nearly forgotten.......

We will never know why their plaque was removed,
And left as rubble, forgotten, unused,
But Ken Stowe had the foresight to save,
The Marble stone dedicated to the brave.

Word came to Lyn of this sad event,
And she went into battle, as ever, ardent,
She called on BHF troops to discover who they were,
The seven brave post men who did more than their share.

And BHF members certainly rose to the cause, providing facts and family history galore,
Giving these men’s names a history and story and much, much more,

So, Leadbeater, Neal, Concannon, Holmes, Meredith, Sharp and Bull,
We salute you and thank you, and please know, we are for ever grateful.

​Suzanne

Lyn and all the other members who have helped. A truly wonderful and worthwhile cause. WELL DONE ALL!!!!

These Heroes were nearly forgotten.......

We will never know why their plaque was removed,
And left as rubble, forgotten, unused,
But Ken Stowe had the foresight to save,
The Marble stone dedicated to the brave.

Word came to Lyn of this sad event,
And she went into battle, as ever, ardent,
She called on BHF troops to discover who they were,
The seven brave post men who did more than their share.

And BHF members certainly rose to the cause, providing facts and family history galore,
Giving these men’s names a history and story and much, much more,

So, Leadbeater, Neal, Concannon, Holmes, Meredith, Sharp and Bull,
We salute you and thank you, and please know, we are for ever grateful.

​Suzanne

now that has bought tears to my eyes suzanne...thank you

lyn x

Wow, that's spot on Suzanne! It's been such a thoroughly absorbing thread, and as others have said, the tablet gave us the spur to take a little peek into the lives of these men.

And Lyn, you deserve the praise 100% for sticking with the cause. I know you say it's not all over yet, but finding a relation is such a great outcome, more than I'd imagined. Come over all emotional too. Viv.

Tears of Joy I hope Lyn!!!! You and the other members who did all this work deserve congratulating!!!

Wow, that's spot on Suzanne! It's been such a thoroughly absorbing thread, and as others have said, the tablet gave us the spur to take a little peek into the lives of these men.

And Lyn, you deserve the praise 100% for sticking with the cause. I know you say it's not all over yet, but finding a relation is such a great outcome, more than I'd imagined. Come over all emotional too. Viv.

Thanks Viv. Yours and others work was also SPOT ON!!! Well done.

Suzanne

Tears of Joy I hope Lyn!!!! You and the other members who did all this work deserve congratulating!!!

well the first few lines were tears of joy suzanne but it was the last 2 lines that really got to me...

viv you are right..for a rellie to turn up is a massive bonus as i was not really expecting that to happen..

i know we are quite a way off yet for the actual date which marks the centenary of the outbreak of ww1 but in honour of all those who lost their lives in that awful war and indeed the ww2 i shall be changing my avatar now rather than later in the year..

Last edited:
More news unfolds by the day it's just brilliant, well done Lyn you have worked hard on this. Thanks to the researchers for all the great information and last but not least thanks to Ken who had the forsight to save the memorial...Another great result for the BHF!!

thanks wend and bernie..yes if it was not for ken none of this would be happening...bit of a way to go yet but i know that if possible ken would love to be there when this memorial is placed at its new home..after all he has had it for over 40 years..must like losing a friend..

lyn

Last edited:
Well done Lyn and thanks for your email - if I can be of any assistance in the future please contact me? Mabz

UPDATE..

hi folks just had a phone call from alan green the grandson of albert edward sharp and he and and wife are coming round to see me tomorrow for a cuppa and a chat and of course to see the marble memorial for themselves..the evening mail has also been to see alan today so we must keep our eyes open for a further article...he is also bringing one or two bits and pieces to do with his grandad and i am really looking forward to seeing them..a photo of his grandad will have to wait a while as its packed out of reach in the back bedroom as they are recorating but will will get to see it when time permits..how much better this can get i dont know:encouragement:...will keep you all updated..oh and would you believe it at one time alans son worked at the erdington sorting office...

lyn

Last edited:
hi anne and polly i am really looking forward to meeting alan tomorrow..he sounds a lovely man and can remember so much that his mom told him about his grandad...

This is a lovely result Lyn. We've all hoped for a happy outcome and I'm sure your meeting will go well. Hope Alan is OK with all the attention. I'm sure everyone involved would like to pass on thanks to him for coming forward. Viv.

UPDATE..

hi folks just had a phone call from alan green the grandson of albert edward sharp

lyn

Lyn. Get the biscuits out.

Looking back at my research, that ties in with
Gladys Ada Emily Sharp married Frank Edgar Green 1923, Q4, 6d, 1045

Give him my regards and explain that it was both a pleasure and an honour to contribute to the research.

morning viv and ken...yes viv alan sounds very laid back and in control..i on the other hand i am a nevous wreck lol...

ken of course i will pass on your regards to alan and you are quite right about gladys ada being his mom..i think she was alberts first born child.it really is like all this was meant to be as alan only lives in the next road to me..amazing...oh and biccies are at the ready...
:encouragement:

lyn

Last edited:
I bet you hardly slept last night Lyn! How strange that Alan lives in the next road to you - it's a small world sometimes!

ALBERT EDWARD SHARP 009.JPGwar plaque.jpghi folks had a lovely hour with alan and his wife this morning..will tell you more about that later on..i took a closer look at the back of the memorial earier and noticed that there are 2 square indentations that do not go right through so i am now wondering if it was first affixed to a wall from behind then taken down to either put somewhere else or just to make it a stonger hold by bolting it to the wall...very strange..

Back