• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Good move Paul, It has already me aware that there maybe hundreds of such marks of respect that are bye passed every day, I will be a bit more alert in future.

hi all
guess what
we missed it we were in ireland
got back last night to a phone call from central saying it would be on......... last friday
im going to get in touch with them and see if they can send me a copy
hope so
zena and hazel

hello zena good to have you back....hope you all had a lovely time in ireland...central news told me that they would try to send me a couple of hard copies or failing that email me a link to a site so that we could watch it again...so far i have received neither but if i do i will let you know...

lyn x

hi lyn
yes had a lovely time thanks
the reporter(cant remember his name whoops) told me the same so i will try this week will keep you informed
family also want to see it so am hopeing he stays true to his word
zena x

zena reporters name is phil brewster...i will send him another message this week and will get back to you when i know something...glad you had a good time...

lyn x

Memorial Stone.jpg I have just received this from Peter Armitage MBE, its a copy of the article printed in The Royal Mails in house magazine. ( A copy has also been sent to Kenny Stowe )

Good to see the re-dedication details went into their own magazine too. Does anyone know if the memorial gets automatically listed once it's at the Aboretum? I ask because it's possible to, over time, keep an eye on the state of the memorial and report the condition of it. Helps to make sure they're looked after. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fortunately, all the memorials at the National Arboretum are well looked after. Never heard of vandalism there.
Hope I haven't put the mokkers on it now!

I've today updated the biographies of our Erdington postmen, see posts 4 - 10 on this link
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43387

Hopefully I've captured any new info. I've also added links to the images kindly posted on this thread by relations of Albert Sharpe and Charles Bull. I've also added a link to a photo I found of Alexander Leadbeater.

I found a little more info about siblings from Census records for Charles Bull, Alfred Meredith and Frank Concannon. Ancestors may be interested, so I've added these too.

Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thank you paul..had a lovely day and we got there in the end with your photo...

lyn

2014-11-16 11.53.01 (2).jpg2014-11-16 11.53.33.jpg2014-11-16 11.54.01.jpg2014-11-16 11.54.42.jpg Some photos taken Sunday (16/11/14) at The National Memorial Arboretum, on the occasion of Royal Mails special remembrance day service

Attachments

• 2014-11-16 12.28.47.jpg
    2014-11-16 12.28.47.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
And thanks from me too Happyguy. Good to see our Erdington postmen are now part of the service. Is the band a PO band? Viv.

And thanks from me too Happyguy. Good to see our Erdington postmen are now part of the service. Is the band a PO band? Viv.
No Viv, they were a group of volunteer bands people from Tamworth. Two young girls played The Last Post, better than i have ever heard it played.

hi everyone what lovely photos of rememberance day at the stone bought back some nice memories of the rededication
unfortunately i have only just found them. i usually attend with my scout group at our local church in hopwas but mom was in hospital so couldnt go, ill have to do 101 anniversary of ww1 next year
hope your all well
zena

​At the NMA today 25th March 2015

Attachments

• 25th March 2015 Wednesday 0062.jpg
    25th March 2015 Wednesday 0062.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 25
  • 25th March 2015 Wednesday 0063.jpg
    25th March 2015 Wednesday 0063.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 25th March 2015 Wednesday 0064.jpg
    25th March 2015 Wednesday 0064.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 30
its still standing there proud dave...it was a great honour to have played a small part in that service last year...many thanks for the updated photos..

lyn

Thanks for the photo's. Glad it's being well cared for.

It makes all the (research) effort worthwhile.

I was invited along with Ken Stowe ( the finder of the plaque ) to attend yesterdays 15.11.2015 Post Office memorial service at The National Memorial Arboretum.
All you wonderful people on BHF who gave much of their time and expertise in finding out the history of the men who lost their lives, and in getting the plaque placed so fittingly where it is, will be pleased to see that the stone has been professionally cleaned and weatherproofed too.2015-11-15 14.01.15.jpg2015-11-15 14.01.08.jpg

Back