• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Open Air School

K

karenandnick

I am trying to find old photographs of an open air school, my partner's mother attended in Erdington, does anybody have any relatives/friends that have photos of this school, or know of any websites giving/showing photographs or any details whatsoever, of this school, please let me know, as I am trying to gather information together for my partner's parents on places they lived/went to school etc. Thanks

Hello KarenandNick,

The name of the school was Marsh Hill Open Air achool, I know because I went to it, if you go to the library and ask for a book called 'A Breath of Fresh Air' you will find all the information you need, it's a book about all the open air schools for children from Birmingham who were 'of a delicate disposition' or needed to get away from Birmingham air. I think there were about six such schools.

Regards trebor.

Last edited:
Dear Trebor

Thank you ever so much for the information. I will indeed look the book up in the library and have a look.

Thanks again
Karen

I have obtained a copy of A breath of fresh air from the library and have sent the relevant information about Marsh Hill school on to my partner's mum, but unfortunately there was only 2 photographs. Am trying to obtain more photographs if anyone has any.

Hello Karen,

If you go to Friends Reunited and find Frances Headford who wrote the book, you could send her an e-mail and ask if she has any more photographs, she was talking about writing another book about the open air schools, she may well have some more photos.

Regards trebor

Wow that's great, thank you I will try that and see how I get on as my partner's mum would love a photograph, I really appreciate the help.

Again many thanks trebor.

Kind regards

Karen :)

I was at Marsh Hill Open Air School in the 60's and my Mother was there also in the 40's. The head was Mrs Browning. Anyone else go there?
regards
Amanda

My sister Elaine went to both Uffculme and Marsh Hill Open Air schools and so did a close friend of our teenage years... John (Alfie) Spinks..... Sorry I have no photo's though

Max Oliver - 4 Days Ago 15:35
The site is new to me, so please be patient if I don't post things correctly!

I was pupil at Marsh Hil OA School from 1956 and 1959.
My mother was also on the staff at this time as assistant to the Nursing Sister.

My mother died 11 years ago, and going through her effects, I found an official staff photograph.
I can't put my hand on it at the moment, but when I next come accross it, I will scan and email it to you if you wish.

Meanwhile I can supply the names of the staff at that time:

Headmaster: Mr Miles

Class 1 and Duputy Head: Mrs Ella Browning
Class 2: Mr Davis
Class 3: Mr Hurley and latterly Mr Hennerbury
Class 4: Mr Barry Whitehouse
Class 5 Mrs Fairburn
Class 6: Miss Lansdown (I misheard her name, and always called her "Miss Lampstand")
Sports Master: Mr Wilson (He and Miss Lansdown married approximately 1958)

School Secretary: Mrs Ivy Mundy
Nursing Sister: Sister Yelland
Nursing Assistant: Mrs Joan Oliver

Hope this is of help!​

My dad was John Warom and his brother Michael both attended the school. I think it was about the same time you did. He also spent 6 months in Davos, Switzerland. Did you know either of them?

I was there late fifties, the headmaster when I started was Mr.Miles then Miss Hazel, nursing sister was sister Yelland, I remember Mrs Browning, Mr.Wilson, mr.Davies. I loved it there.

Back