• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Hall

N

Nostromo

I wasn't sure where to put this thread as it is related to my family but I hope it's OK here. In the 1841 Census my Great Great Grandfather, Charles Reynolds, is listed as working as a male servant (aged 15) at Erdington Hall in the Civil Parish of Aston (Sub-registration district: Erdington). Does anyone know anything about Erdington Hall: whether it still exists, where it used to be, what sort of a place it was, who else lived there. Much obliged, as usual, for any information. (I'm hoping that one day I may even be able to answer someone's question rather than just asking loads of my own all of the time!) So many questions, so little time.

From: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=2462&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=260Edit see post #8 for updated link

"Erdington Hall was built in the mid 1600s and was the manor house for Erdington until its demolition in 1912 to make way for the construction of the Tyburn Road. The prominent owners of the Hall included the Jennens familySir Lister Holte and William Wheelwright, who is believed to have given his name to Wheelwright Road."

I presume it was somewhere near Bromford Lane, as there is a 'Erdington Hall Road' nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was that large house that was at the Wheelwright Road end of Erdington Hall Road?
(It's not long been knocked down)
Could that have been "Erdington Hall"?

What was that large house that was at the Wheelwright Road end of Erdington Hall Road?
(It's not long been knocked down)
Could that have been "Erdington Hall"?
That was the old girls school, Mrs T. Erdington Hall was demolised in 1912.
NO! I don't remember it, before you ask.

This is Erdington Hall

(Replacement)

Attachments

• Erdington hall 2.jpg
    Erdington hall 2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
From info at Birmingham Central Library.

"Erdington Hall was probably built in the 1650s or 1660s and was the residence of a great family - the Jennens - who remained there until sometime in the 18th Century. The tennant of the Hall in 1850 obtained a summons against the Corporation of Birmingham for injuring his water supple by their sewage which was entering the nearby River Tame. The Hall changed hands with regular frequency over the years. Among the famous people to own it was Sir Lister Holte who is believed to have been the last bona-fide Lord of the Manor to live at the Hall. Later it was owned by well-known Erdington families such as the farming Wheelwrights. In 1858 the Hall was occupied by William Wheelwright who may have given his name to Wheelwright Road leading from the house to Gravelly Hill."

As Frothblower states, the Hall was demolished in 1912 to make way for the development of Tyburn Road.

As Frothblower states, the Hall was demolished in 1912 to make way for the development of Tyburn Road.

Sorry, and Lloyd!

I know Erdington Hall was situated near Abbotts road between Wheelwright road and Tyburn road.It was demolished around 1912 to make way for Tyburn road, but as anyone got an old map showing Erdington Hall on it. Thanks

Erd_hall.jpg

Here's another photo of the back of the hall so sad we have lost such a magnificent building.
Erdington_Hall_edit~0.jpg

ErdingtonHallfarmyard.jpgHello to all,this is my first post on this super website.I am mostly interested in old pics of Erdington.I used to live on the Tyburn Road as a child,the house was very much haunted and it wasn`t until i left the house that i found out that the house i lived in was built slap bang on the site of Erdington Hall.The original Erdington Hall dates back to the 1100`s,with the second Hall being built around the mid 1600`s.If anyone has any info/pics of Erdington Hall,i would love to see them,thanks.

Welcome Captainscarlet! Great photo of the Hall.

I'm glad you've brought this up as the Hall seems to have a very interesting past. Here's an extract from English Heritage

egagy6yh.jpg

And a couple of photos. The Dutch gables seem to be a favourite in the architecture of halls and manor houses in the area.

u5ymyryt.jpg

aveqevus.jpg

There's also a short, BHF thread here which is quite old. The attachments on that thread may not load as the site was hacked a while back and many images were lost. So it's good to take a fresh look at the Hall. Viv.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15692

View attachment 88997Hello to all,this is my first post on this super website.I am mostly interested in old pics of Erdington.I used to live on the Tyburn Road as a child,the house was very much haunted and it wasn`t until i left the house that i found out that the house i lived in was built slap bang on the site of Erdington Hall.The original Erdington Hall dates back to the 1100`s,with the second Hall being built around the mid 1600`s.If anyone has any info/pics of Erdington Hall,i would love to see them,thanks.

Can I ask where you lived. I always thought Tyburn road went though the Erdington Hall site?

These maps might help from the English Heritage Pastscape site. Viv.

qyvu4ajy.jpg
1888/1889
egy3uheq.jpg

egyzaram.jpg
Aeriel view present day

Apologies Mike. Just noticed you've already posted the 1888 map in post #2. Didn't realise it, as your map was on an earlier thread which was merged with this one. Interesting though, the English Heritage map has a few strange annotations around Erdington Hall. Viv.

i lived here.jpgHi,
I lived at 398 Tyburn Road(outlined in red).When i lived there in the 1970`s,there was a building company by the name of Madocks and Wolfords opposite,hope this helps.

Had a nose around on the Net, and put together a few snippets of info. It seems debatable as to where exactly the first Hall was built and the Jennen's re-build date is not 100% certain. But what a fascinating history it's had. I know the area reasonably well and never knew anything about the Hall. (I went to school in Stockland Green and it was never mentioned - a serious failing of school history lessons in my opinion which didn't seem to look too closely at local history). Anyway, back to the Hall here are the 'snippets':

Erdington Hall/Manor House

Erdington family had a fortified, double moated manor house on banks of River Tame above Bromford Bridge (1166-1441)
In 13th/14th centuries it had a chapel
There was also a mill (Bromford Mill/Forge)
According to historian Wm Hutton the family lived at the Manor in "great opulence for 400 years"
Erdington Manor house was demolished in 17th century

Either John or Humphrey Jennens built new Erdington Hall (in mid to late 1600s) and it's location was either on the site of original manor house or nearby
The Hall was a brick building with stone dressings and Dutch gables, 3 storeys and attics (in the style of building dating 1662)
Humphrey Jennens held the Hall on lease for life +21 years after his death (leased by Sir Charles Holt, Lord of Erdington manor)
The Hall was by this time part moated
Jennens became wealthy from smelting iron in Leicestershire. He now obtained land rights in Tame Valley and set up his second smelting furnace here felling trees in surrounding woods to make charcoal for smelting process. Furnace position was ideal in its proximity to Birmingham and with industrialisation demanding much iron
The Hall was enlarged in 1782
Estate also had a farm, Erdington Hall Farm, with 260 acres
1858 a farmer, William Wheelwright, lived at Hall
The Hall was still occupied in 1908, but demolished in 1912 when Tyburn Road was laid

Viv.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to find this info,most interesting,i didn`t realise that Erdington Hall had so much land,260 acres is one heck of a plot.I do know that when the De Erdington family lived at the original Hall,Peter De Erdington (eldest son of Thomas De Erdington,died 1218 )went to fight in the holy wars and died in battle.There was a chapel in the grounds of the original hall which was used by local people for many years.There is so much history on this site and so many people,even the people who live on the site have no idea of the long and facinating history.I did find this link if anyone wishes to have a look (https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22962).
Please keep any pics or info comimg,thanks.

Fascinating stuff. I was born in Erdington Hall road and I was always lead to believe Erdington Hall was at the top of this road,how wrong can you be.

Great aeriel view of the Hall Froth. Gives us a very good idea of the place. This snippet from the bgfl.org site suggests that Jennens owned two furnaces in the area (in Aston and Bromford). Was wondering if these later became the forges 'Park Mill'' and 'Bromyard ' marked on this 1834 OS First Edition map. (Was it usual for iron furnaces to later become forges?) Also interesting that some of the substantial volume of spoil from the furnaces was used as clinker in the building of Hockley Abbey. Viv.

e4ytupys.jpg

ynategab.jpg

Back