• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Emuss (Hemus) Robert butcher & cattle dealer died 1867 in rail crash

Just tidying up loose ends.

Mary Ann a widow on 1891 census living at 101 Kyrwicks Lane with granddaughter Nellie Toms(I assume the Helena from the 1881 census as aged 14).
1693062306085.png

Still there in 1901
1693062373127.png
Dying at same address in 19021693062243519.png

thanks jan..so mary ann must have had a least 1 child with first hubby robert emuss...dont know why but i thought that nellie toms was william ingrams grandaughter :rolleyes:

lyn

in 1881 mary ann ingram is back in birmingham with new hubby william at gt lister st nechells..running a shop with 3 servants so it looks like things turned out ok for mary ann

Just tidying up loose ends.

Mary Ann a widow on 1891 census living at 101 Kyrwicks Lane with granddaughter Nellie Toms(I assume the Helena from the 1881 census as aged 14).
View attachment 183637

Still there in 1901
View attachment 183638
Dying at same address in 1902View attachment 183636
Good that things worked out for her, and she also had a stepchildren and granddaughter, having had no children of her own. Thanks so much

thanks jan..so mary ann must have had a least 1 child with first hubby robert emuss...dont know why but i thought that nellie toms was william ingrams grandaughter :rolleyes:

lyn
I couldn't find any children of her own with Robert Emuss, and the status of the children in this census would relate to the head of household?

lyn
She is - the daughter of his eldest Caroline who died in 1880.
That will teach me to read the last posts - at least we agree.

as i said earlier 1850 marr cert for robert and mary ann gives add as gt hampton row...i know it will not affect your research but i think its nice to have a little bit of background info so this map shows no 56 gt hampton row which was their butchers shop as stated in kellys directory..actually this area is my neck of the woods and i have many ancestors who lived around there so i have researched this area for many years...no 56 not far from st georges church...the church was demolished in 1960 but the graveyard still remains..there is poss a photo of the shop on the great hampton row thread...i may take a look tomorrow to see if i can find one..of course the photo will not be as old as 1850 more like 1950/60s

lyn

butchers at 56 gt hampton row 1860.jpeg

Thanks again everyone for all your insights. And between Robert Emuss having a butchers shop in Gt Hampton Row, and Aston, he appears to have become bankrupt, and survived that episode to become a prosperous trader. For after the accident, he was found to have £45 on him (£4500 today), and it was stated in one newspaper report that he had bought the majority of cattle on the train. Since there were about 1000 head of livestock on the train, mainly sheep, he must have been buying and selling at quite a scale, and presumably selling to butchers or abattoirs across the city.

Thanks again everyone for all your insights. And between Robert Emuss having a butchers shop in Gt Hampton Row, and Aston, he appears to have become bankrupt, and survived that episode to become a prosperous trader. For after the accident, he was found to have £45 on him (£4500 today), and it was stated in one newspaper report that he had bought the majority of cattle on the train. Since there were about 1000 head of livestock on the train, mainly sheep, he must have been buying and selling at quite a scale, and presumably selling to butchers or abattoirs across the city.
we are always happy to help soonguy...glad the info helped you..i find it fascinating to read about how folk lived back in the day which in turn gives us a great insight into our social history

lyn

The probate record lists his estate as "Effects under £1000" so he certainly seems to have been in a comfortable wealth bracket.

Back