• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Emily Street

gemma

master brummie
Hello,
I wonder if anyone knows anything about Emily Street. My great Grandmother had an off licence/grocers shop in 1910. I ive looked at the old photos on this site but couldnt find any of Emily street. Does anyone know what it would have been like?
Thanks
Gemma:star:

Gemma
There were a number of off licences in emily St in the 1912 Kellys directory. however only one was listed under a women, and i would therefore guess that your g grandmother was Mrs Ellen Edwards. If that is so then you are in luck, as at some time or other a picture of the shop , no 137, (in 1955) has been posted previously ( i suspect by Astoness). have tried to lighten it a little

PS. Sorry, i did not read the title of the thread properly, and realise now it was Ellen Edwards as i guessed

outdoor_in_emily_st__highgate_1955A.jpg

Last edited:
Mike

Just beat me to it, I was about to put the same photo up, Gemma your grandmothers shop at 137 was near the top of Emily Street marked with a red cross on this map. If you type Emily Street into the search engine box and search you will find many references to Emily Street and other photos.

Attachments

• Emily St.JPG
    Emily St.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 38
Gosh everyone, that is amazing. Thank you all so very much. I didnt think there would actually be one. Ellen a widow by 1910 ran this with her daughter. She travelled back and forth to New York where her husband lived. She must have been quite a strong woman. I really appreciate everyone help.
Gemma

yes mike its one of my outdoor pics...gemma im so pleased that you have a pic of your gt grans shop and thanks john for lightening it up a bit...i think there was also an emily arms pub but not sure if it was actually in emily st...
lyn

Yes Lyn, according to the 1940 kelly's The Emily Arms was at 45 Emily Street,(a Beer Retailers only) run by William Peakes.

I wondered if anyone can help, I recently purchased a 1950`s wooden speed boat thought to have been built buy a Cambridge boat builder(I brought it from Cambridge) the only identifying marks on the boat is a small brass plaque about 40mm x 10 mm its very worn but looks like it has "H.F.Radoe & Co Ltd" as the name but clearly underneath that "Emily Street Birmingham". If anyone has any idea about who they where what they did or what year I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

There was a company in Emily Street in the 1940s called H E Rudge and Co who are listed as brass founders. The firm still exists today as a bathroom and kitchen company but their website says they began by making brass oil cocks and industrial components. I am not sure if this would be them or not? (The firm began in 1901).

Janice

I love that table. It reminds me of a larger version, at my grandmothers house, that my uncles and I all sat at for dinner on the Saturdays I visited the house. Still at home were five single uncles, the 2nd world war had prevented then finding wives and two unmarried aunts. All in all a big crowd. But I loved it all, enjoyed the food whilst we listened to Sports Report (the all important things in that house :D) on the BBC Light Programme. Ah! the free spirit of youth!

same in my grans living room alan except i can vividly remember that nans table cloth had a fringe going all the way round it.. also recall listening to the archers on the radio and the smell of lavender polish....funny what little things from the past stick in our minds and how just one photo can bring them to the fore...although i must add thats nans back to back living room was smaller than the one in vivs photo

lyn

Last edited:
That mantelpiece and mirror looks to be fixed a bit too high up to me.

The Citizens Society organised second-hand furniture to furnish the flats was it wa thought much of the furniture brought from condemned housing would in some cases be unsuitable (meaning dilapidated etc). The flat in post #11 was furnished by the Citizen’s Society scheme. It was flat #112, Viv.

Viv.

Attachments

• 7EA0CF97-5AD4-4787-A051-287C2CF92EB9.jpeg
    7EA0CF97-5AD4-4787-A051-287C2CF92EB9.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 8
This must have been one of the last major building projects before WW2 started. Viv.

1847B153-9F11-4C5B-B92A-A08B9BF4C289.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• CE8104EA-C757-431C-992D-2FEB5EA22AD1.jpeg
    CE8104EA-C757-431C-992D-2FEB5EA22AD1.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 5
Back