• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elkington Street School

Re: Elkington St. School photo
12months to early for me ,1940was my starting time my sister who was 6yrs older than me also went there ,we were both evacuated to Ashby dela Zouch .I was left on the railway station and finished up with some London families evacuees for 4days before my sister found me .we used to live at no 36 Miller st we left 1941is and moved to Dyas rd regards Tom

To

Hi Nanet and Peter
Came across this site by accident, they were talking about a sculptor called Elkington on antique Road Show. So I said to my wife I went to a school called Elkington in my school days. Then looking up the History of the School, I found myself on this site. unbelievable,
When reading your article it just blew me away that other people had been to this school.
I went to Elkington school between 58-63/64
and then to Upper Thomas St School in the Seniors. I lived at 3/449 New John Street West. I had a sister and two brothers who attended as well.
The only teacher I can remember at the moment is miss Webster. A good Friend at the time was a guy called Keith Aidney who I contacted a couple of years ago on Facebook.
I hope you respond so we can Talk some more.

Hi Chef7070......I was at Upper Thomas Street ( seniors) between 1964 and 1968, my first teacher there was Keith Hatter, my last was Hurford, a couple of lads in my class throughout them years living in Elkington Street , Raymond Glazzard was one , Alan Whelan was another, Kevin Yates not in my class ( year older ) also attend both the schools you went to as well...

Hi Aston Lad
Yes I went to Upper Thomas St School around that period, I can’t remember the Teachers names as it was so long ago. I do remember the schools Annex which we use quite a lot, through Aston Park down by the Cemetery. I finished School July 69 so it’s all around that period.
We left Hockley and moved to Aston in 63 to Phillip St at the bottom on Upper Thomas St.
A couple of years after leaving School I joined the Army so my upbringing put me in good shape. All I can say is they were great years and I experienced something you can’t buy. I always thought nobody experienced my upbringing until I read a book called A Brummie Kid who lived around Aston and realised we were all in the same Boat.
I now live in Salisbury but it’s great to relive the past which I never forgot.
Steve

I was at Elkington Street from 1959 to 1966. Miss Webster also did the Scottish & Country dancing with us. I got in touch with her a few years ago - she is 81 now !!
Hi Nanet, whilst I never remembered who took us for Scottish & Country Dancing but I remembered taking part, I also remembered being taken to watch a performance at another School of Pirates of Penzance, I sure Miss Webster was the one that took us. ??

Hi Steve....If you attended school the same time as myself, then there is a good chance I know you ....what is your surname if you don't mind....I help run a face book page Astonbrook-through- Astonmanor, its worth a view some good photo's of both Upper Thomas Street and Elkington Street on there, Cheers John

Hi Steve....If you attended school the same time as myself, then there is a good chance I know you ....what is your surname if you don't mind....I help run a face book page Astonbrook-through- Astonmanor, its worth a view some good photo's of both Upper Thomas Street and Elkington Street on there, Cheers John
Hi John
I’m Stephen Wheeldon I lived in New John St West, Hockley between 54-63, attended Elkington St School 58-64 we then moved to Phillip St, Aston 63-67. Attended Upper Thomas St School 63-67. These dates are roughly about right, born 1954 and leaving School in 1969. We moved as areas became demolished.
My Sister Cheryl and brothers Alan and Charlie were shortly behind me so their names maybe familiar.
I’m approaching 67 in August if that’s any help.
Steve

Hi John
I’m Stephen Wheeldon I lived in New John St West, Hockley between 54-63, attended Elkington St School 58-64 we then moved to Phillip St, Aston 63-67. Attended Upper Thomas St School 63-67. These dates are roughly about right, born 1954 and leaving School in 1969. We moved as areas became demolished.
My Sister Cheryl and brothers Alan and Charlie were shortly behind me so their names maybe familiar.
I’m approaching 67 in August if that’s any help.
Steve
Hi Steve. I did not know whether you will get this. But I remember you and your brother Allan from the late 50’s early 60’s but not seen hide nor hair of you both since about 1964. If you get this would you be kind enough to email me at “ tradesite@yahoo.com “.

Two threads have been merged into this one. There may be earlier unseen posts.

Does anyone have a copy of the 1939 infants school photo please mentioned in post #7 ? If so please post on this thread. Thank you.

Back