• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elder Emily Josephine

Sue Watson

Brummie babby
Looking for any information on Emily Josephine Elder born in Lambeth 1847 (parents Joseph Elder and Jane Howard Jones). On census 1861 aged 13 but disappeared by 1871. Any information appreciated.

She appears to be listed as the wife (no marriage?) of a John Canttill Hall in Bham on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses, though he is incorrectly listed as James in 1881. In 1911 she is a widow with her daughter.

There are 2 Hall/Elder children - Minnie Maria and William John - registered with corresponding baptisms, though William John appears to be listed as William Albert on the baptism.

Emily Josephine's death appears to be registered (as Hall) Dec qtr 1911 Bham.

There is another son - Edward - with them in 1881. No registration, so perhaps Emily's son, as is Thomas who is with his grandmother maybe?

Thank you so much for your reply. Emily is my great great grandmother and I have been looking for ages to see what happened to her. I think she had Thomas in about 1969 (presumably illegitimate) and he lived with his grandparents. She seemed to disappear after the 1861 census, and not on the 1871 census. I thought she may have changed her name but didn't know where to start. I will look into all the information you have sent - I am so grateful. How did you manage to find out all this?

I also found a criminal record for an Emily Elder dated 14 April 1871 at Birmingham court, 7 years imprisonment for simple larceny. I haven't been able to verify this is the same Emily Elder - any ideas how I could do this.

How did you manage to find out all this?

As her forenames are not that common tried the easiest thing first, searching for a death/marriage for an Emily Josephine in case surname was misspelt. Nothing from that so tried searching for children in the Bham area with mmn Elder. Not always possible but luckily this time got a couple of results and then it was just a case of tracking them down and seeing who the mothers were. Luckily there weren't that many and one of them was Emily and she matched.

In regards the criminal offence, there are no other Emily Elders in the area and there's only one other birth reg. for one so it seems possible that it's her. There are a couple of mentions in the newspapers, one mentions an address of Heath Mill Lane in 1871 and another says she can only read and write imperfectly which, as her mother is listed as a teacher of music, I find a little surprising. Though I may be assuming that that was a bit more formal than it actually was.

I also found a criminal record for an Emily Elder dated 14 April 1871 at Birmingham court, 7 years imprisonment for simple larceny. I haven't been able to verify this is the same Emily Elder - any ideas how I could do this.

ive just had a look at that record...shame it does not give her age but i would also lean towards it is your emily

lyn

As her forenames are not that common tried the easiest thing first, searching for a death/marriage for an Emily Josephine in case surname was misspelt. Nothing from that so tried searching for children in the Bham area with mmn Elder. Not always possible but luckily this time got a couple of results and then it was just a case of tracking them down and seeing who the mothers were. Luckily there weren't that many and one of them was Emily and she matched.

In regards the criminal offence, there are no other Emily Elders in the area and there's only one other birth reg. for one so it seems possible that it's her. There are a couple of mentions in the newspapers, one mentions an address of Heath Mill Lane in 1871 and another says she can only read and write imperfectly which, as her mother is listed as a teacher of music, I find a little surprising. Though I may be assuming that that was a bit more formal than it actually was.

hi mark do you have a bit more info and dates about the other newspaper articles...just wondering as in 61 both of emilys parents are down as no occupation

thanks

lyn

I can see 3 articles Lyn...

20 Jan 1871 Bham Daily Gazette & 21 Jan 1871 Aris's Bham Gazette mention Heath Mill Lane and that she (and others) were committed to Sessions.

15 Apr 1871 mentions the reading and writing and that she pleaded guilty.

20 Jan 1871 Bham Daily Gazette & 21 Jan 1871 Aris's Bham Gazette mention Heath Mill Lane and that she (and others) were committed to Sessions.

ok thanks mark...will see if i can find her mom on the 71 as a music teacher

lyn

That's great. The dates seem to tie in if she was in prison from 1871 to 1878 and then met John Hall just after so by 1881 back on the census as Emily Hall. I've been looking for ages - would never have found it so thank you so much

That's great. The dates seem to tie in if she was in prison from 1871-1878, then met John Hall just after so by 1881 on the census as Emily Hall. I would never have found this - thank you so much

I will have a look at the newspapers you mention - again many thanks

Back