• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Economic changes Birmingham

karro

master brummie
I'm certain that I read something about an economic down turn in Birmingham which affected all the trades especially in the Jewerlly Quarter. This would have been some time during Victorian era. Now that i'm looking for it, I can't find any information.
Does anyone know? I believe that all the trades were booming then there was a decline. I'm trying to find out the approximate dates and possibly a source that I can refer to. Any information will be appreciated.
Karro

Hi Karro. There will be have been several such 'slumps' ....... however, there was a general down-turn in many trades during the mid-to-late 1840's (early 1850's even) due to political unrest throughout Europe; which had an economic 'knock-on' effect etc. Although, other industries were thriving at this time; so it is difficult to pin-down. From the 1870's onwards, Britain was competing against other countries, like Germany, who had 'industrialised' later than Britain.....leading to down-turns in certain industries.

Prior to the Victorian period, there were slumps following the end of the Napoleonic Wars; and similarly so, just prior to Victoria becoming Queen. Later, post the death of Victoria, and the advent of the First World War, was another unsettled period where certain industries suffered.

I suppose whenever 'money was tight' the jewellery trade was the first to suffer; just as it is to day.

However, I'm sure there will be a 'jewellery-quarter' expert on this site who will know exactly to what you refer.

Thanks for your information. My great grandfather left England around 1889. I was wondering why a skilled tradesman would take his wife and childern to Canada. Perhaps the international competition was making it increasing difficult to make a living in Birmingham.

karro - that's easier to answer! Adventure, opportunity, a fresh start, the chance to make one's fortune etc. Canada was booming and probably didn't have quite so many jewllery workers; so an opportunity to 'better' themselves etc. From the time of the American 'Gold Rush' of 1848, migration increased greatly, to all parts of the Empire. It spurred-on those willing to take a risk. I doubt there is a family in Britain that didn't lose someone to Canada, America, Australia, NewZealand, Southern Africa et al. Besides, by the 1880's-90's, it wasn't quite the 'do or die' scenario of earlier years.....not so likely to end-up 'scalped' by 'Redskins'!
icon7.png

Back