• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eat your piece

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
When we were little, a slice of bread (always cut by hand of course) was a "piece". I once heard a very little kid being told "Eat your piecey". I hope this story is PC.
Peter

Yeah Peter
I wish I had a pound for every time i ran into the house and said"mom I'm hungry can I have a piece" and she'd do me a slice of bread with whatever came to hand - jam or syrup or condensed milk or butter and sugar.
People still like a piece when they're hungry but nowadays they have it delivered and pay a tenner for it.
( The Italian word for " piece " is Pizza )

Of course Jerryd - I never realised!.
Fancy the Italians taking over a brummy word for their bread. Actually, I believe that pizza was invented in America, rather like Chop Suey, while Doner Kebab was thought up in Berlin and Balti in Smethwick.
I'll go for the Balti.
Nice one!
Peter

wELL IF YOU'RE GOING FOR THE bALTI BRING ME ONE AS WELL :lol:

If you don't get that balti Jerry, don't "pull a jib"!!! :(

A saying my mother used if I was sulking for any reason.

Brummy saying?

Never heard that one before Ray but I just looked up Jib in the book and among other things it means to sulk and refuse to go on, so I suppose that's where your mom's saying comes from.
I like it!

I thought 'piece' was Brummie and was well known in my childhood in Small Heath but it is also common use even now in Scotland.

Back