That place always scared the daylights out of me! When I was growing up it seemed as though people went there and few came out. Of course that was a view of a 10/12 year old!
Must be a good place thenI was born there 1947. !!
I am trying to work out the angle/direction of the 1st photo (nurses home) - is it the front of the building where there was a canopy and wooden door or at the side or rear ? I lived in nurses home in 1989 when I started my nurse training .
Hello Diane. You may recall a clinical tutor at the school of nursing at DRH: Mrs Summerton, I believe she was married to a doctor. A wonderful nurse and tutorRoger I would say at a guess SEN .I was in set 3 of pupil nurse training.. It was a new venture that incorporated general, and elderly care training together. Before that I believe the SEN was just elderly focused.
I started in 1967, and the venture started 1966.
RGN or SRN did not have to go to Summerfield Hospital.
I did 3 months my first year, and 3 months my second year there.
Roger your Mother must have been amazing.
The work was hard, and long hours. Equipment was none existent.
In fact one ward I worked on had one set of screen, no Curtains around the bed there.
Back in the 60’s Summerfield or Western Road was a 1,000 bed hospital running at full capacity.
It was not until 1997 that I became a RGN.
However, having worked at Heartlands, Walsall Manor, and Good Hope, and for very short periods Selly Oak, and Moseley Hall, nothing matched those days nursing wise.
If you want to know a little more about Summerfield back then message me. Somethings were not so good.
Diane
What year was that Bhap?Hello Diane. You may recall a clinical tutor at the school of nursing at DRH: Mrs Summerton, I believe she was married to a doctor. A wonderful nurse and tutor
I left DRH in 1992 so she had been there as a clinical tutor prior for approx 20+ years I believe. Of Irish descent.What year was that Bhap?
I left DRH 1969 the one tutor I know was going to get married was Miss Wood, very put together both physically and professionally, but I was under the impression she was going to marry someone who was blind.I left DRH in 1992 so she had been there as a clinical tutor prior for approx 20+ years I believe. Of Irish descent.
Seems that the days of the hospital at Dudley Rd are numbered with the opening of the Midland Metropolitan University Hospital in Smethwick (at last!)








On some Birth Certs it says 77 Dudley Road as on Wifes Mothers 1923.The title of the hospital has been altered over time. For those researching ancesters the various names are:
Workhouse Infirmary
Infirmary, Birmingham
Birmingham City Infirmary
Dudley Road Infirmary
Dudley Road Hospital (from 1912)
City Hospital