• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Donnelly ancestors

Susan R

Brummie babby
Hello. This is my first time to this site. I have been researching the Donnelly name for a long time and have got nowhere. I know my grandmother Agnes May Donnelly was from Aston and was living in a Home during her teenage years. Her mother died and her father and the rest of her family moved to Canada. All I know is she had a sister called Mary and I thought she had a brother William. My mother (her daughter) died last year and we found a few pictures my grandmother had received during the 1960s from Canada with photos of two young girls Carol and Linda aged 4 and 2 1/2 taken in 1949. There is also a wedding photo taken in 1957 and a picture of someone called Frank. Because my nan was left here with no family it has been very difficult to trace ancestors. I remember she used to talk about her sister Mary who was a lot younger than her. My nan, Agnes, was born in 1894 but we never knew where her family originally came from. My mother remembers her brother coming over to England during the war. He used to come and visit my nan. My nan went on to marry Harry Goode who was from the Nechells area of Birmingham. I would be grateful if you could let me know if all this information is connected to your family.​

There's a christening record for Agnes May Donnelly born 21 May 1893 on familysearch

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NLD7-MBZ

And a for a sister born 7 April 1892

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJXC-NBN

And 2 matching registrations on freebmd Jun 1893 and Mar 1892 both Aston district

A marriage record on freebmd Mar 1890 Aston for Francis Donelly and Emma Birch

And on freecen there's a census record for Francis and Emma Donelly living at 9 court 1 Francis St. Francis is 26 and born St John, Newfoundland and Emma is 20 and born in Birmingham

Last edited:
There's a death on freebmd for an Emma Donnelly Jun 1901 aged 30

And it looks like that the family Francis (34), Emma (30), Mary (9), Agnes (7), Francis (6) and Lizzie (4) are living in Aston in 1901, haven't got a subscription so can't give any more details.

And on ancestry there are one or two family trees that appear to be by descendants of Francis Joseph Donnelly son of Francis Donnelly and Emma Birch.

Susan , the information given here ,and some extra census entries, have also been given to you by other members on your first post on the Birch thread, have you noted this.
Sometimes when 2 threads are in use the info tends to be duplicated.

Last edited:
Susan I think I have some answers for you..... the pictures of the two girls Carol and Linda are possibly my sister-in-laws relatives and the male person depending the age is her Brother Frank. My sister-in laws (Pat.)maiden name was Donnelly. Is it possible for you to e-mail me a copy of the pictures and I will pass them on to Pat. Maybe your patience has paid off.

My grandmother, Agnes was born in 1893, died in 1972. She had an older sister Mary, a younger brother William.Her mother died ,her father remarried. Family moved to Canada,she was left here in Birmingham. We don’t know why. Found out that she had a brother Francis,a sister Elizabeth. When she died my mother kept some of her belongings. There were 4 photographs sent from Canada. First photo of two girls, Carol and Linda,taken in 1949. Carol is 4 and Linda is 2 ½. Second photo is taken in 1957 of bride and groom. Third photo a man and woman with “This is Frank and myself taken in October last”. Think it is dated 1952. Final photo of another wedding with “This is dad and I on my wedding day” on the back. Has no date on. Do you know who is on these photos? Grateful for any information. Have searched for my grandmother’s family for so long, go tnowhere, Had nothing to go on. Didn’t know where her father came from or any exact dates. Not sure how to send photos or how to e-mail Doug.

Susan, if you click on Doug's name on his post, you can send him an instant message, which won't be seen by other members. Hope this helps

Susan trying to send you a instant message but you are not set up to receive ..... that one wedding picture ( 1957) is more than likely of my brothers wedding to Pat. Donnelly and the two little girls are Pats cousins the picture of the young man is possibly of Pats older brother Frank jr. s to can you try to post the photo this web sites photo page then let me know so I can confirm all of this hope to hear from you soon Doug

Back