• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone know where Kenion Street is please ?

chrissie50

proper brummie kid
Apologies - this is the first time I have put up a new post,so don't know my way round too well.
I have birth certificates from 1838 and 1839 for some of my ancestors, and the address is Kenion, or Kennion Street All Saints Birmingham. Is there anyone out there who can show me where that is please ?
In 1841 they lived in Harford St, (off Gt Hampton St. I guess) so I am wondering if it is in the same area.:)

Hi Chrissie 50.

I think you mean Kenyon Street, which was located near to 137 Gt.Hampton St. B18.

Hope this of use to you

Could it possibly be Kenyon St Hockley that runs off the bottom of Constitution Hill. (see map)

Phil

Districts5121516184.jpg

Hi Chrissie 50 Kenyon St bottom left corner of map part of it is still there

I seem to believe that our friend and member Frantic worked as a 'Copper' out of Kenyon St 'Nick' in the 1960's, I have his Helmet badge. I also think there were another couple of members who worked there too.

I also worked in Carolin St just around the corner from Kenyon St in the 1960's. I went back last year, here I am outside the building I worked in.
I thought I was sooo 'Posh' working here as a telephonist LOL.
View attachment 16373

Pom

Last edited:
I worked close to Kenyon street in the late 50s early 60s.
I always marvelled at the fact that it looked so 'poor' just rows of terraced house and the old fashioned police station but I had to visit some of the houses and those tiny rooms in those little houses held real wealth in Silver and Gold.
Jobbing jewellers plying their trade in tiny exbedrooms that years before held whole families.
There was a woman who had turned her front room into a sandwich bar where the local factory workers went to get bacon sandwiches and a mug of tea.

Where I worked they employed a couple of women who lived in Kenyon Street.They worked in the plating shop in dreadful working conditions and it was the first time I had heard women use such colourful language.
My boss was not keen on me taking the wages to the Plating shop because the women were too 'common'.
I loved them,I suppose today they would be called 'salt of the earth'.
They worked very,very hard and were always laughing.

Back