• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone have a picture of St Lukes Rd Balsall Heath / Edgbaston?

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Does anyone have a picture of St Lukes Road, Edgabaston / Balsall Heath? Either a photo of the houses or school or a suggestion for a good book of photographs of the area would be great.

Hi

A couple of St Luke's Rd here. I have a couple of books on Balsall Heath, but neither mention the road in question.

If I were you I would be looking in Birmingham City Transport books on trams as I believe it was a well known tram route.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath St Lukes Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath St Lukes Rd.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Edgbaston St Lukes Road Car 425 Route 39.jpg
    Edgbaston St Lukes Road Car 425 Route 39.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 57
I too would be interested if anyone has any photo's of St Lukes Rd as i was born there 1957 in Linwood cottages and have never seen a picture so fingers crosses and all that some one may be able to point me in the right direction for pictures if there are any

hi shirley...while searching around for pics for you i found this that may be of use to anyone researching family history...

google...MIDDLEMORE HOME FOR WAIFS AND STRAYS...

this was in st lukes road and give a 1891 census with names and ages of children at the home awaiting emigration as their parents could not look after them....

lyn

hi,guys, this photo of ST LUKES RD was taken a few months, ago. all the flats are coming down, in that area, i was one of the first to move inn there good-times then....cheers....christy.

Thanks for the Middlemore links, Lyn. I would never have known to search under that word. Now I have I feel so sad for the children who were without parents to care for them. My browser cannot find the institutions site yet, but I will keep trying. Sometimes it cannot even locate BHF.
Thanks for the modern pictures, Christy. How sombre they are in contrast to the happy times I hear about in connection with St Lukes Rd.
Shirley

shirley..when you read the list of childrens names and their ages it makes you want to weep....all of them sent off to canada to caring folk....the youngest i saw was only 2 years of age..ranging to early teens....

How sad to have to be parted forever from your parents.....

Lyn

The home motto might have been "Abandon all hope of seeing any of your loved ones ever again". It one thing to have loving relatives who cannot take a child in, but to know the ties are severed permanently is utterly disempowering. I feel upset on behalf of the children, Lyn.

Bordesley Exile

Found this recently, its looking up towards the where the photo you already have was taken.

Phil

Attachments

• Highgate St Lukes Rd (1) .jpg
    Highgate St Lukes Rd (1) .jpg
    116 KB · Views: 49
hello Phil, thank you very much for this picture, it is the perfect one i have been looking for, it proves what i thought, other pictures i have seen of a school in St Lukes rd where, i am sure of the hebrew school further down the road were my best mate went in the late 50's.

shardeen

p.s i went to hope st school from 1948 till 1953.

Bordesley Exile
I was born in St. Lukes Rd. in 1942 oppositee the back of Hope St school and Quinney's shop went to hope st and left there in 1954

Thankyou also Phil for the photo ,as i was born in St Lukes Road. I have never seen a picture and it must have been of a time when the camera was not of great importance when you were struggling to make ends meet,but good to know that a picture of the road does exsist. I was born in Linwood cottages.

Lizy
I'm afraid none of the pictures show Linwood cottages, which were off the main road as shown in red on the map
Mike

map_c_1910_Linwood_cottages_st_lukes_rd.jpg

Lizy

Please do not get the idea that I can claim any credit for the photo, as I am a collector not a photographer. I have to be honest as with a lot of my photos I do not remember where I obtained it.Though I don't believe to be the subject of any copyright.

Even if it were I cannot see anyone objecting to something so simple and costless that can also bring a bit of pleasure and evoke memories for some people, and not simply be looked at as a means of making money.

Phil

Thanks Mike it is so lovely just to see where on the map it is. This is such a great sight , as people go out of there way to help others who they have never met. How the world would be if we all did that little bit more for each other. THANKS AGAIN

PMC 1947 My thanks are for making the effort to pass the photo's on, and as you say to share these memories with people who appreciate them,and that deserves a thankyou.

I hope you are able to restore the lost photos previously posted… I would love to see what St. Luke's Road looked like!

Simon

Lizy
I'm afraid none of the pictures show Linwood cottages, which were off the main road as shown in red on the map
Mike

map_c_1910_Linwood_cottages_st_lukes_rd.jpg
I grew up in St Luke's terrace 1944 to 1960 4/57 St Luke's Rd. St Luke's terrace is to the left of St Martins terrace.

Fascinating thread, thank you all for the information. In the 1920s, my father's family were in Cottage Place, St. Luke's Road. I wonder if anyone could pinpoint where that was please? I attach a screenshot from https://maps.nls.uk/ which shows the locations of one of the schools and the Children's Emigration Homes.

Anton.

Attachments

• lukes.jpg
    lukes.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 7
Back