• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Do you recognise this place?

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This postcard was on a site trying to identify place of unknown photos. It was sent from Birmingham with just a note saying "this is the house I live in". This does not necessarily mean it is of a house in the city, but seems likely. does anyone recognise it? I have slightly lightend it and increased contrast over original presented

this is house I live inA.jpg

This postcard was on a site trying to identify place of unknown photos. It was sent from Birmingham with just a note saying "this is the house I live in". This does not necessarily mean it is of a house in the city, but seems likely. does anyone recognise it? I have slightly lightend it and increased contrast over original presented

View attachment 193619
I have no idea where it is but that is a wonderful scene, I can almost recall something like that, winter of 47/48 on Trinity Rd.

Something about it reminds me of Uffculme house, built for the Cadbury family, now the Uffculme Centre on Queensbridge Road at the end of Kings Heath. It's probably the chimneys and Dutch gable that remind me of it - Other things are not the same, like the twin spikey towers.

Looks like Fox Hollies Hall in Acocks Green.
The gate posts are still there.
There maybe a photo on the Acocks Green history site.

NoddKD

possibly nodd but looking at this site the house looks different...on below site is a photo of the gates in 1905 and one of the gates taken after the house was demolished in 1937...the centre of the gates in both photos are clearly bowed but they are not bowed in the photo on post 1...

just my thoughts

possibly nodd but looking at this site the house looks different...on below site is a photo of the gates in 1905 and one of the gates taken after the house was demolished in 1937...the centre of the gates in both photos are clearly bowed but they are not bowed in the photo on post 1...

just my thoughts

Hi Lyn ,
I have only seen one photograph of the hall but for the life of me I can't remember where.
I note from one of the photos you placed that the perimeter is a hedge row in the initial picture there appears to be a metal fence.
I'm sure the BHF members will come up trumps,again.

NoddKD

Hi Lyn ,
I have only seen one photograph of the hall but for the life of me I can't remember where.
I note from one of the photos you placed that the perimeter is a hedge row in the initial picture there appears to be a metal fence.
I'm sure the BHF members will come up trumps,again.

NoddKD

yes nodd i also noticed that as well..as you know we love a mystery and it gives us something to do

lyn

just my thoughts

Used to love to take rides on the inner and outer circles on rainy afternoons. Sit upstairs and just look around. Great memories Lyn!

These Gateposts in Fox Hollies Road? - They don't look the same to me. Too squat and pointy.

Gates.JPG
These gateposts are for Fox Hollies Hall - See link below. The house does not look anything like the house in the photo - No Dutch gable

Last edited:
I've removed my post as I hadn't realised the house had been identified in post #6. Apologies.

Having one of those days Janice. I thought I saw it confirmed on Facebook (although that's no recommendation) but can't now find it. Got it confused with this thread. I think there was a photo on FB too. But given the day I'm having, I might have imagined all of it !! What planet are we on ?!!!

Last edited:
Gates look different. On original they look as if there are 2 rows of spaces. On this one the bottom of the gate looks more solid.

Back