• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DIY shops.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
We went to B&Q this morning and I remarked to Steve that it must be a cheap place for builders to buy goods because there are always plenty of them in there.
He says it is because it is convenient for them to lift things from the shelf and pay rather than have to go to a counter and ask for what they want.

This brought the conversation round to Lucas Hardware on the Washwood Heath road.
There was an aging gentleman there in the 60s who really took his time.It was murder if the bloke in front was having different sizes of nails weighed,you could almost do with a flask and sandwiches.
Every time I watched the sketch of Ronnie Barker(four-fork -handles)I remember those days.

What more can be said about the Great Ronnie Barker:D

I use B&Q quite a lot but I can get discount 7 days a week at Focus, its my age you know and prices are much the same Alberta

Last edited:
Hi Alberta: Do you think the Lucas Hardware in Washwood Heath Road was
owned by the same people who owned the one on Stockland Green? My father used to do some painting and decorating in his spare time and all of his supplies came from Lucas's on Stockland Green. It was run by a man called Harry I remember. I seem to remember some shopkeepers taking their time
wrapping up the merchandise, etc.

We have lost 3 of the great DIY shops in the past 5 years in our area, they could find almost anything for you in their Aladdin's Caves I loved them:)

One was in the Local Paper & on TV the week it closed,its claim to fame they had had the same Light Bulb in the Staff Toilet for 48 years and a couple of the staff had worked there that long.

Last edited:
Back