• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Digbeth circa 1900

Jason Murray

Brummie babby
Hi
I've not long taken on my Family Tree, some info I've come across points towards a fish merchants at 50 Digbeth around the 1901 census. Are there any maps existing, that display building numbers? I'd love to take a walk to compare the old and new!

Many thanks in advance!
Jason

kieron you have just made my day again with that photo of the chippy...:) you may recall i had a rellie who ran it

hi jason could i ask the name of the family you are researching as we could both be following the family

thanks

lyn

kieron you have just made my day again with that photo of the chippy...:) you may recall i had a rellie who ran it

hi jason could i ask the name of the family you are researching as we could both be following the family

thanks

lyn
Hi Lyn
My Great Great Grandfather was William James Murray, through son Charles Howard's linea!
My Dad started his research in 1980s when there were no computers!
Good luck!
Jason

hello jason those names are not in my family tree but good luck with your research as well ...computers make it mush easier:) it great to have a photo of the old shop

lyn

Most definately . . . Photos make it more real! Can i ask, in what capacity were your relatives involved with the Fish shop?

Hi, Thanks for sharing! Am i right in thinking numbers #46 & #102 are Public Houses?
Apparently, my Great Grandad used to run to one for beer, this was consumed by the local constabilary, i believe in the Fish Shops cellar!
Yes, No.46 was the Unicorn Inn and No.102 was The Board, though also known as Clements' Vaults. The Unicorn was just a few door away on the same side so this is more likely as the pub run.

hi jason yes my nan kate alice downes on dad side was taken in by george and maud doyle (nee checketts) in 1908 at just 8 months old because her parents (my gt grandparents) had both died one day apart so sad...there were also 2 other older girls left orphaned..one was taken in by a member of the checketts family and the other by her grandmother...a member of the checketts family ran the chippy...as far as i can see there was no blood connection between my family and the doyles/checketts...seem like they were just friends of the downes family...how lucky those 3 young girls were to be taken in as the only alternative would have been the workhouse

lyn

Hi Lyn
My Great Great Grandfather was William James Murray, through son Charles Howard's linea!
Good luck!
Jason
Hello Mr Jason,
William James Murray was a great uncle of mine. The fish shop was one of up to 5 Murrays fish emporiums in Brum in the Victorian /Edwardian era. founded by a great grandfather of mine, Wiliam Alexander Murray sometime in 1890s. The last of the chain (also fruit and veg. next door) closed in Harborne in the 1980s. That was run post ww2 by my father, and pre ww2 by my grandfather. My father passed in 1999 and the very last family member directly involved, my Mother, passed on Nov. 1st 2019 just short of her 100th birthday.. I am also looking for photos of some of the early shops.
Amongst other projects I am writing a general family history, mainly through the 20th century, but I also looked into the ancestors back to the start of 19th century. If you read this and are interested, perhaps I can post up an image file of the Murray part of the family tree back to about 1805.
Or you could contact me at UCLAN in Preston.
Yours,
Peter Murray
P. S. I posted just once before on this forum and received very helpful replies. I am very grateful to the people on this forum, a great bunch.

Hi Lyn
Good luck!
Jason
Hello Mr Jason,
William James Murray was a great uncle of mine. The fish shop was one of up to 5 Murrays fish emporiums in Brum in the Victorian /Edwardian era. founded by a great grandfather of mine, Wiliam Alexander Murray sometime in 1890s. The last of the chain (also fruit and veg. next door) closed in Harborne in the 1980s. That was run post ww2 by my father, and pre ww2 by my grandfather. My father passed in 1999 and the very last family member directly involved, my Mother, passed on Nov. 1st 2019 just short of her 100th birthday.. I am also looking for photos of some of the early shops.
Amongst other projects I am writing a general family history, mainly through the 20th century, but I also looked into the ancestors back to the start of 19th century. If you read this and are interested, perhaps I can post up an image file of the Murray part of the family tree back to about 1805.
Or you could contact me at UCLAN in Preston.
Yours,
Peter Murray
P. S. I posted just once before on this forum and received very helpful replies. I am very grateful to the people on this forum, a great bunch.

Back