• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Did we smell?

oh yea come rain or shine you were out there on the playground doing some form of pe
and then off to the showers and if you got caught haveing a cat lick you were thrown back in windsor soap or no windsor soap lol

Did I have a deprived (or is it depraved) childhood? until I joined the army at 17,we only had newspaper and old cement bags for toilet paper.
I think it was Maggs who mentioned the outdoor toilets,I wouldn't use ours after dark,the rats in the miskin terrified me.

hi ray
bless you
we had proper loo paper in our outside loo
but i am with you on going to the loo after dark
our loo was at the end of our garden and there was no way i was going after dark
i used to make my dad come with me and stand outside the door with his storm lamp lol
there was spiders and alsorts of things hiding in our loo lol

Celia,
Our toilet was in the middle of the yard,my cousins lived one end of the yard we lived the other,so I would call for them and we would go together,picture this scenario,3 or 4 boy's,crowded in one toilet with a candle,apart from the smell,someone always blew the candle out and ran,so the last one to have "their turn",was left alone.
Thinking about it not a nice place to live,however,it was our slum,our playground and our home,I don't have any complaints.

Ray my nan from Franchise street had an outside loo and an inside coal cellar. Back to front by our modern day standards. We used to have to go to the top of the yard to get to the loos and yes it was newspaper in those days. There was also a gap at the bottom of the door and I remember when I was very young the boy from the end house in the back to backs peeking under it. I made my nan come with me from then on. Jean. Oh Pete posh eh IZAL.

ray i have just sat here and howled with laughter the family thought i had lost the plot
we were lucky we lived in a victorian house that had its own outside loo in the yard
all the houses in our street did
but i now have this mental image of 5 boys in the loo together taking turns and then leaving some poor bugger on their own the face the rats
you rotton lot lol
but for all its lack of creature comforts we now take for gratened i woud not have spent my childhood anyother way

we.had a outside loo.in a yard around the back of our house.there was no loo paper.only cut up news paper on a nail,back of the door.one day when i was very young my dad give me a comic to use,and said give your bum a laugh.

pete
i know what you mean by izzel paper
ive just been on the carbolic soap company website and they have the izzal paper there and i do remember it
here is the link if anybody is interested
www.carbolicsoap.com

jean you can still buy that izal. i dont know how we ended up talking about loos.but like you celia we had to put on our coats and walk down the road to the loo.at night with a huricane lamp.and the seat was wood and split,some times it pinched your bum

pete i think the loo thing was me i wonted to know if anybody remembered the tissue loo paper we had when we were kids
the izzal loo paper you can get on the carbolic website
and yes i had a few spliters on my bum from the wooden loos seats
and i do remember one very cold winter the pipes in our outside loo froze and it took all day for my dad to try and defrost them lol

celia. loo laughs.ow dear me one day the system come off the wall when mom pulled the chain.a big cast iron thing.it took bham estates as they were then took ages to fix it.so we used next doors.

thats the one
a big cast iron system on the wall with a long pipe leading to the loo and a metal chain with a wooden hand grip at the bottom
my son always looks at me gone out when i shout pull the chain what chain he says we dont have one we have a button on the top of the loo
i do remember my mom one more than one occasion running screaming from the loo because a mouse had ran over her foot while she was in there

Might get told orf for putting this but it is all part of my past history. Nans loo. I was in there one day and I heard someone in the next one reading the paper and talking to it. He said "sorry darling but I have to wipe my bum on your pretty face". Or words to that effect. I was just minding my own business. I would have been eight at the most but will never forget that. Jean. Hope I have not offended anyone.

OOOOOOOOPS. I think I will end the conversation there before we do get told orf Pete. Jean. You carry on if you like. The conversation that is. Jean.

lol i can say we never had it that bad but if the lady next door to us went to the loo the same time as us the we could hear everything as her loo backed on to ours

Celia I wonder if that is why we are so conservative [not politically] today. If we visit I wouldn't dream of using their loo if you know what I mean. Pete is even fussier than me and when at the van shoots up to the visitors loo's. Funny lot arn't we. Jean.

goog god no
i couldnt use anybodys loo for a you know what
and i dont like useing public loos if there are lots of people there
thought it was just me lol
we arnt fussy just polite folk lol

thats just wrong on all levels
at the start of the thread the question was did we smell in days gone by
and to be honest i dont think we did
the statards of cleness and personal manners were a lot higher than they are today
althought there is a wide choice of personal hygene products to day than when we were kids and during our mothers and fathers time
i think the generation of today leaves a little to be desired just watch the life of grim and grime busters and you will see what i mean
we would never dream of doing half the stuff the "kids of today do"
we had pride in our lives and homes no matter how small and cramped they were and the fact that we only had outside loos and no bathrooms
im rambling again i think i,ll be quiet now lol

my mom was spotles but poor.she was always scrubing floors,and steps,we did not smell,but was poor a girl i liked,more liked loved when i was young said to me.i dont talk to scruffs.old crow.i am 60 now and remember it well. my life in the back to back was happy one.mind some time now i stink.but it diesol fuel and oil etc off my tractors,not bo take care celia gread laughts tonight ta,

Jean,
My gran also lived in Franchise St.up a backyard,she moved from Aston,because she thought it would be safer from the bombing,she was 100 yards from Kynochs if that had been hit Perry Barr and Witton would have been one big hole.
Even in the worst of times there is comedy.

pete
i have never laughed so much as i have done this evening and it has bought back so many happy child hood memorys for this nearly 40 something lol
and its true our mothers fathers and grandparents had pride even though times were hard and money was very short
it would never do to be letting the family down especaly not to the neighbours so floors doors steps and kitchen tables were scrubs and the children were kept as clean a possable
you didnt wont you neighbours thinking you kept a dirty house

celia.me and ger22van are mostly on.and both of us love a laugh,dont forget anyone can see these posts including children so common sence must be used. as we dont want to affend any one.

Hi there,

It is funny when you think back to the old days. My sister who lived in a little terrace house in the 40's had an upstairs toilet and an outside toilet - what luxury. The inside toilet had proper toilet rolls, although not like the soft toilet paper of today. However the outside toilet had pieces of newspaper cut up and hung on a piece of string. Its a wonder all the drains did'nt get blocked. I live in a semi now and have one toilet. I would love a downstairs toilet in the garden. When gardening I'm always having to rush upstairs to visit the loo.

Hi everyone,

Yes, Ray it was me who said I hated those 'up the yard loos' On a foggy night (and we had a few of those) we couldn't even find the yard. The miskins were right next door and again I'm sure rat's and mice were about. We had slates missing off the roof of the loo, so if it was raining we took the brolly.

Speaking of the hard toilet paper, I see it is still sold. Are the masochists that buy it or what? However, it would have been a bit of a luxury for us, we had the Daily Sketch ripped into squares. Can anyone beat that then?

Maggs.

Maggs,
Ironic really, but our yard was called Peyton Place and dated 1854.
Didn't know they still sold hard paper,even the 99p shops have soft tissue,do you think it's for the poor students where you live?.

Back