• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Deykin Avenue

PatriciaH,

Well would you believe it ! I was in that fancy dress competion too. Dressed as black minstrel, burnt cork all over my face and complete with a banjo. Hardly "PC" these days. Remember how it rained that day.
I also remember the Houghten Family, I think they were friends of my Granfather William (No.90), and my Father Frank (No. 92). They were both carpenters and joiners, together with my Uncle John (Father's younger brother) and my Father's lifelong friend (literally), Charlie Kyte who lived in Electric Avenue.
All 5 worked for W.J. Whittal the building company who were building the GEC before the war and at the beginning of the war before all but Grandfather were called up they were still employed there repairing bomb damage.

Hello
I used to go to Yew Tree School with Gillian Houghton......I am assuming the same family

Chris I left you a vistor message on your profile page

Linda

Hello Christopher

Click on to your name (in blue) on your last post.
Then look at your visitor messages ........you have 2

Linda

Gillian is my cousin. She lived in Tame Road and i am in regular contact with her elder brother Robert. it was Robert who introduced me to this page.

Linda Hello,
Well well, I did go to Marsh Hill and Margaret still lives in Brantley Road. She does not enjoy the best of health these days but she is doing quite well.
I took a few family pussy cats to the PDSA too, it's strange all I can really remember about Lovers Walk ids that it was always raining.

Compliments

Hello everyone,
Does anyone recall the Co-Op milkman with his horsedrawn cart around the area. The horse was called Korky. Numerous mothers would send out the kids with an apple for Korky and a bucket and shovel for the rose fertilizer !

Hello,

I was born at number 9 Deykin Avenue, back in the SEVENTIES. I remember Harry Luckman as I grew up. He was a lovely man, used to have pigeons if I remember correctly.

I remember Howard who lived at number ONE.
William and Brenda Rose (brother and sister) at number SEVEN,
My neighbour the other side, Doris Perrins at ELEVEN.

I grew up in Deykin Avenue through the late seventies and throughout the eighies. I remember the IMI buildings and chimneys as you looked towards Brookvale Road. Does anyone have any photos of the IMI buildings that they can post?

I attended Deykin Avenue School from 1978 to 1985 where the Headteacher was Mrs Sarah Duchesne. There was also Mrs. Sylvia Harding, Mrs. Maureen Hutchings (who I have met at Highbury Theatre, Sheffield Road, Sutton Coldfield recently) and Mrs Winifred Henderson.

Does anyone have any memories from around that time? I would love you to get in touch and share those all important memories.

Gurdeep

hello!

my mom was born and lived in number 64 deykin avenue from early 1940. her name is gwen cole, her brother is brian, parents ida and len cole. she also attended deykin avenue school. she enjoyed reading your posts and has asked me to mention a few names to see if they ring any bells with anyone - joan flint, shirley simms, jacquline fortnall, pauline southerton (from electric avenue), brian eggington and Margaret watley. she remembers quite a few families that have already been mentioned. would love to hear from anyone who remembers her (apologies for any spelling mistakes of names).

thanks.

Hi Gwen my sister in law lived at the out door in Deykin Av Christine Bamford she married my brother
John Houghton
robb128

Hi Robb

Thanks for your reply, mom was really pleased to hear that Christine Bamford married your brother, who she remembers aswell. Christine's sister, Wendy, married my moms cousin Alan Nicholas.

Bev (on behalf of my mom Gwen)

I am currently involved in a project called Tamed based in Witton and Perry Barry with the Environment Agency. From 2013 new flood defences will be built along the River Tame and artists and historians have been commissioned to get involved with the local communities, past and present, and explore the history of the area. I am particularly looking for people who used to and/or still live in these areas around the Tame with stories, memories, pictures or objects from the area. I have started a new thread here..... https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41861 for anyone to add their memories if they would like, or please let me know if you are happy for me to use any memories already added to this thread. We will probably be taking some oral histories, so if anyone would like to be involved in that aspect please also let me know. My email is cuppatea.biscuit@googlemail.com and my phone number for this project is 077333 84541. Thanks, Jenni.

What a shame the photos seem to have gone, I lived at 101 wyrley road from when I was born in 1980, my parents bought the house a year or two before that. dad has worked at gkn (now dana) forever! and mom still works at deykin avenue school, think she started there when I was 9 or 10. my nans sister lives in wyrley road and my nan lives in Cheshire road :)

I remember the Flood twins who lived on the end of the terrace with the entry at the side and opposite the school, sure their names were Michael & John. I lived in Brantley Road at 172. Daughter of Lily & Phil Casey. we lived next door to Chris Short's aunt Mrs & Mrs Chiles with Robert Avril & (oh how can I forget youngsters name) forgive me.

Hi
Could anyone tell me if and how it might be possible to contact Denise H who logged on as a guest and added postings #19, #25, #28, #30? I ask because my wife Linda is the Linda Dunn that she refers to in post #19.
Thanks in advance
Dave Bunford

I went to school with the Flood twins and Chris Short is on this forum Kathel. My son now works at one of the new companies in Deykin Avenue

Hi
Could anyone tell me if and how it might be possible to contact Denise H who logged on as a guest and added postings #19, #25, #28, #30? I ask because my wife Linda is the Linda Dunn that she refers to in post #19.
Thanks in advance
Dave Bunford

hi dave im afraid dennis h is only a guest now and not a full member so unable to make posts or receive private messages...he will however still be able to read the posts so if he spots your request to contact him he may join the forum again...

lyn

Hi Lyn
Thanks for your response, I did realise that Denise (not Dennis) was posting as a guest but hoped that someone might know where she is. Her full name when my wife Linda knew her in Deykin Avenue was Denise Wiseman and two of her brothers were paperboys at the paper shop that Linda's Mom & Dad (Jean & Ted Dunn) ran in Deykin Avenue. Yes I am hopeful that either Denise or someone that knows her will see the posts and get in touch.
Cheers
Dave Bunford

Hi Lyn
Thanks for your response, I did realise that Denise (not Dennis) was posting as a guest but hoped that someone might know where she is. Her full name when my wife Linda knew her in Deykin Avenue was Denise Wiseman and two of her brothers were paperboys at the paper shop that Linda's Mom & Dad (Jean & Ted Dunn) ran in Deykin Avenue. Yes I am hopeful that either Denise or someone that knows her will see the posts and get in touch.
Cheers
Dave Bunford

hope so dave...fingers crossed

lyn

Hi G G Jean its such a small world on here. I've been in touch with Chris Short on a thread for Brantley Road. Its great to see all these names from my past. Thanks

Back