• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports Brewery

• Thread starter Thread starter ritaincrete
  • Start date Start date
Nearly 2 years too late but hope this helps; There was a company called Davenports CB Limited which, according to the Davenports website, was set up to deal with the bottled beer and home delivery service. Here is a share certificate for CB, featuring Baron John Davenport's signature:

Hi,

I was told that the CB stood for cask and bottle.

Kind rtegards
Dave

hi follks does anyone happen to know how many pubs davenports now own. and their names ..i believe they have a few dotted around birmingham...this being one of them

thanks for any help

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
I am not certain of the details, but about three years ago I was talking to the barman at the Bulls Head in Bishopsgate St, a Davenports pub, and , as I understood and remembered it, he was saying that the Davenports pub brewery now in existence, was not the same company as the old Deavenports, though still run by a family member.

Lyn
I am not certain of the details, but about three years ago I was talking to the barman at the Bulls Head in Bishopsgate St, a Davenports pub, and , as I understood and remembered it, he was saying that the Davenports pub brewery now in existence, was not the same company as the old Deavenports, though still run by a family member.

oh right mike i was just going on what my link said about the crown being run by one of the oldest breweries...maybe someone will know..they certainly still deliver as a friend of mine has ordered

From Brewery History site:
Davenport's Brewery Ltd, Bath Row, Birmingham, West Midlands

Said to be founded 1739, with the Davenport family at a variety of pubs in the early C19 and John Davenport malting here in 1852.

Registered in November 1896 as John Davenport & Sons Brewery Ltd. with 57 public houses. Registered as above June 1929 but failed and so continued as John Davenport & Sons' Brewery Ltd. until at least 1950. A separate company, Davenports CB Ltd, was set up to deal with the bottled beer and home delivery service, while John Davenport and Sons Ltd continued to run the brewery and the licensed houses.

From the 1st October 1974, Davenports CB Ltd and John Davenport and Sons Brewing Ltd ceased to operate independently and instead traded collectively as Davenports Brewery Ltd.

Acquired by Greenall Whitley & Co. Ltd in 1986 with 106 tied houses and brewing ceased in 1989.

YET

The Firm Davenports that now exists is a Birmingham Company which, on its website, implies it is the same company as was originally founded:

I have vague memories of walking up Bath Row with my mom, and looking into Davenports, through huge windows, and watching the production line.

Steve.

Lyn
As far as I am aware the ‘new’ Davenport brewery company has no connection with the original Davenport family.
Eustace Bromley Davenport 1907- 1992 was the last Davenport on the board when the company was taken over by Greenhalls. He then resigned his position. He was my 3rd cousin 2x removed.
Robert Davenport who first founded a brewery business was my 4th grandfather.
I am the only remaining Davenport from this line.
Clive Davenport

I just like to add this about Beer at Home , unlike today when cans of beer are two a penny almost in supermarkets, we moved into a new house in Aston in 1976 and for about a year maybe a tad shorter I had Davenports deliver to the house , whay with all the empty bottles washed and all in Bristol fashion ready for return I must say they weren't that cheap in fact I'll go as far as to say they were rather dear I found even with the empties going back

Back