• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dartmouth Street

maggie may

proper brummie kid
Please can anybody tell me what was at 108 Dartmouth Street in 1905.

Any help solving this puzzle would be appreciated.

I have a death certificate for a chap (Edward Moore age 48) that died in May 1905. His address was given as 108 Dartmouth Street, Duddeston.
Cause of death apoplexy natural causes
There is no informant the certificate was signed by the coroner

The census of 1901 gives the occupants of this address as:
Joseph Beckett head 63 gun maker
Emma Beckett wife 63 inn keeper manageress public
Gertrude Beckett granddaughter 18 barmaid
Frederick Allen boarder glass blower
Sarah Billiard visitor steel pen box maker

We could do with finding out more about this guy as he could be a missing twig on the tree

I have a listing in Kelly's 1903 Directory 108 Dartmouth St, Hill Chas Edward beer retailer.

Phil

There is an Edward Moore living in Garbett St,Ladywood in 1901 and his occupation was a drayman....................perhaps (if it's the same person) he was delivering beer when he died!!

Thank you but much as I like the theory of him dying delivering beer the Ladywood Edward isn't the same one.
Very confusing we have two Edwards born about the same time one in Eckington,Worcestershire and one in Aston.
My Edward is the Aston one.
I shall be down in Birmingham on Friday and have arranged to have a look at the coroners report which I hope will provide more information

Mystery solved.
Been down to Birmingham today and have a copy of the coroners report.
108 Dartmouth Street was a pub called the Malt Shovel.
Poor Edward he had been abstemious for four years due to gout and then goes and dies in a public house after drinking milk and soda (yuk!)
To add insult to injury he was carried into the back yard where he had water poured onto him

Back