• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cuckoo Road

• Thread starter Thread starter Paul Hendy
  • Start date Start date
P

Paul Hendy

Hello,
I'm looking for any info on cuckoo road anything around 1915 to up to now. I'm trying to find out where number 113 would have been. so any help would be very nice.
Thank you all for your time.

Hello Alf.

My Wife's father Edward Victor Turrall was born in 1917 at 113 Cuckoo Road. His father was Ernest Edward Turrall and he was living with May Claridge, EVT Mother.

We were trying to workout where 113 would have been. We were in cuckoo road on Monday(25th Feb) and i'm sure things have changed since 1917..

Unfortunately Edward died when my wife was only 7 so she never had the chance to ask him any questions. So this is a big whole in her family life story. We know that Edward had an older sister Hilda May.

So any info in the way of old maps or photos would be fantastic.

Hilda May

Hi Paul, there is a Hilda May Turrall born 1905 in
Mutford, Norfolk/Suffolk, 1st Quarter volume 4a page 1176,
May be a help or miles away, , but just a thought m8 :)
Cheers John Y :cool:

Here is a ref for Cuckoo Road. Cuckoo Lane is also here separated from the road by the canal. I am not sure which way the numbers run but I think that if you count the houses, 113 would be about an inch up from the bottom or by the 'u' in Cuckoo. This is around 1890ish but would not have changed greatly between then and the date you are looking for. The rows of houses ranging up to the right from the road would have been courts of 'back to backs' I think and probably would have commanded one street number, the houses behind being 'a' or 'b' etc., or back of.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10085&ox=1762&oy=2262&zm=1&czm=1&x=238&y=174

By clicking on the map, where you click will move to center and you can see the rest of the area. Cuckoo lane is just past the top of the road.
This is a noted area and if you go down a bit to the right you will see the mill pond and Park Mill.
Looks to me that from Google Earth only what was a hotel at the bottom corner remains now. That is if the area has not changed since the skyshots were made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi .I was born at no. 111 cuckoo road in 1938. Next door to the left was salvation army mission run by a captain Mole?. The other side of this was Mr and Mrs Evans, i presume would have been no. 113. My mom was violet turner nee slater, we lived with our nan, Sarah Jane slater.She would have been in that house around 1915 with our grandad John Slater. Mom was born in 1912 her oldest brother Jack was born in1900. The other side of the mission was cu loo cottages. Where our aunt Annie cross lived.
Is this any help?

I had relatives that lived at 13 cuckoo road, but seems now its been completely redeveloped. Anyone have any pictures of what it looked like before this?

I had relatives that lived at 13 cuckoo road, but seems now its been completely redeveloped. Anyone have any pictures of what it looked like before this?

I too had relatives who lived at 13 Cuckoo Road, from at least 1911 to 1956. From reading other responses it seems you may be related to Leah Davies. My ancestor is George Cameron, to whom she was 'married'. Are you happy to share information on these 2?

Thanks

I too had relatives who lived at 13 Cuckoo Road, from at least 1911 to 1956. From reading other responses it seems you may be related to Leah Davies. My ancestor is George Cameron, to whom she was 'married'. Are you happy to share information on these 2?

Thanks
Hi Debs I would love to find information out about my side of the family, which is the hadley, portlocks and cummings as well as share what I find out about the camerons. Im happy to give email if you would prefer to communicate that way. Do you have any records, documents or photos for George, leah and family? I know very little about the family and am trying to fill gaps so happy to have help as well as give any help I can

Hi Debs I would love to find information out about my side of the family, which is the hadley, portlocks and cummings as well as share what I find out about the camerons. Im happy to give email if you would prefer to communicate that way. Do you have any records, documents or photos for George, leah and family? I know very little about the family and am trying to fill gaps so happy to have help as well as give any help I can

Thanks
I am related to Leah Portlock who married Charles Davies, and then got together with George Cameron, though I cannot find any record of a marriage to George.

Looking at the 1921 census, I find that my grandmother once worked in Cuckoo Road for Manor Mills (Dunlop Rubber Company) as a tyre trimmer. I wonder if anyone might know where this company was located on the road and what became of it? Many Thanks. During my investigations, I spotted the postcard of the road below:
1641658956992.png

Back