• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cromwell Street School Nechells

• Thread starter Thread starter Chrissy
  • Start date Start date
C

Chrissy

I started off at Cromwell St nursery and went through to the infants and Jrs before going to Charles Arthur St Seniors. I remember Mrs Painter but I am very fuzzy about any other teachers. The head at Charles Arthur had a nick name of "Spud"? We use to play British Bull Dog, French Skipping, Spin the Bottle at break times. We had warm or frozen milk, depending on the weather and who remember the round mint choclate, mint bingo.
I played in the Skittles Team along with Christine Evans who was our Captain.

Miss Painter, Mr Troth, Mr Bullus, Mrs Beeches, Mrs Woolley, Headmaster, Mr Taylor, ..my old School...such happy years..1956 to 1963

Kandor. Thanks for jolting my memory of these teachers names, now I remember them. Yes I to have fond memories of Cromwell St School.

Les we had a Mr Troth at Burlington Street I wonder if they are the same person, or related? I'll sort a picture out and post it, praps you can tell?

Hmmm Mr Troth...the only Teacher I've ever had in my life I'd still like to punch very hard..the SOB...

Les does this ring any bells, it is Mr Troth as I knew him, maybe we are talking about different people, or members of the same family even. He was a member of the Ban The Bomb group of the day, you can just about make out the lapel badge

I wonder how many of the school football team are still around
the Class 7,8,9 2nd Team in 1954-55 were as follows:-
Back Row left to right
John Adams - Graham Knight - Mr.Cameron - M.Mcenna -Barry Ironmonger- Colin Preece - Michael Proud

Front Row Left to Right
K.Perry - B. Chatwin. - R.Williams - G.Ironmonger - M,Friend

Dug another photo out of the school football team with the headmaster Mr Mullins standing on the left and Mr Cameron on the right can people put names to the boys

I believe that this was the same Mr Mullins who became headmaster at Leigh Road Primary School in the early 1950's

ATV Today footage exists of Cromwell St School Chior from 1971 featuring the "singing policeman" P.C Edwards.

1st was filmed at the school in July 1971 (includes close up of the ID board outside the caretakers house) I had a broken arm at the time, after slipping on the wet grass at Wood Lane playing fields, during our games lesson, Mr Bassett was a great P.E teacher.

2nd was filmed at ATV on a saturday morning/afternoon in December 1971.

At the Xmas filming we even had lunch in the ATV canteen and then watched the "live feed" for the following days (Sunday) Star Soccer.

Glynn Edwards was the presenter (Xmas) and Gary Newbon the reporter in July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking Of Cromwell St anybody remember a miss Frettsome? 1965/71

18 years later she was my sons Headteacher at Boulton School Handsworth and then my wifes boss.

David ...The teacher on the right of the picture is Mr Cameron and I know the name of everyone in the Picture but I must add the pic was taken in Cromwell St School I have two photos which today are still hanging in the school ...........Little Johnnie Adams would you believe went on to become caretaker of the school (Cromwell Street) and last year he organised a tour of the school for me the head master at the time was Mr Mullins ( in the 50's )I have a pic of him with me in the football team............
All of this is the 50's not the 60's as I did not want to change the thread
I have large format pics if you want them of the football teams

Hi Cromwell,
I just re-read my previous post and I can see that it looked as though I thought it was a picture taken at C A St. I knew it was Cromwell St, I just didnt say so!
Can you send me your list of names so that I can pass them on to people from that class who I am currently in contact with? Are you on the picture by the way?

Hello maryann (goodbye heart!),
The picture was actually taken at Cromwell St School (see my previous post) but many of the pupils went to C A St afterwards. Cromwell has not yet responded to my plea for names but I will send the ones I do have by IM if someone could tell me how?

Hi Dave
In the right hand corner of the screen is the instant messages link, click on this and it takes you to the IM posting.

In the user control panel at the top of the screen you need to set your own personal settings regarding instant messages etc and then anyone else can send you a message also, you have a bar on IM at present.

Sorry I did not realise that the photograph was of Cromwell street school (I should have read the post more carefully) it explains why I looked so scrawny on the photo in what looks like the PE kit.

What year was this?

Can anyone remember any more of the Cromwell Street pupils names or the year the photo was taken? Who was the head boy or girl that year?

My memory has got very hazy about school years now.

I can recognise Brian May, Sheila Parry, Gillian Taylor, Rita Eammes?, Jaqualine Willis, Alice Moss.

Louisa

Hi Louisa,
The attached is all I have to date. If you are able to update the MSWord file please do so and re-post or send it via an IM. Sadly Johnny Adams passed away more than a year ago. He was the best friend of Colin Preece, who has been a good friend of mine since our days at CA Street.

Dave
Thanks for posting the picture and list of names. Where are you on the photo?

Front Row Alice Moss, ??, ??, Mary Edwards, ??, Gilliam Taylor, Rita Eames, Christine Carter, Carol Wale, ??, ??, Jaqueline Willis, Sheila Parry (who married Jaquelines brother)

Sylvia Wooton should be there too with Jaqueline and Sheila, they were all friends.

Louisa

My response in bold underlined. Thanks for the info.
dave
thanks for posting the picture and list of names. Where are you on the photo? I'm not on it. I didn't go to cromwell street.

Are you sure of the dates on this photograph of 1957 - 58 because i am on that photograph and i went from cromwell street juniors to charles arthur street and left there in 1959 having reached school leaving age.
I think the photo was taken at cromwell st in 1955 or 1956 as colin was 1 year behind me so he would have started at ca st in sept 1956. I was at ca st 1955 - 1959. What is/was your name?

Can anyone remember what age pupils left the junior school and went to the senior school, was it age 10 or 11 if so this must have been taken before 1957. I was 11.

Can anyone read the badges on the girls sports kit?

Front row alice moss, ??, ??, mary edwards, ??, gilliam taylor, rita eames, christine carter, carol wale, ??, ??, jaqueline willis, sheila parry (who married jaquelines brother)

sylvia wooton should be there too with jaqueline and sheila, they were all friends. Carole wale is still good friends with sylvia wootton.
Was colin the intelligent little -- who knew all the answers in class and cheekily sent the teacher a postcard which read ' you can take a horse to water but cant make him drink' when he went on his holidays. Colin is 4th from right - middle row of school photo and 2nd from rt -back row of football team photo.

Louisa

Last edited:
I was born in Cromwell st 1/94 opp the school I know the knight family they lived in a house by the cromwell arms pub.I also went to cromwell st then I went to charles arther & so did my sister.

Hi john yes i do remember you & your brother. I remember a family named hartsill i think they had a house at the back of you up the yard Also the scrap yard mathesons i think I also remember the house down opp you the old lady use to sell sweets.From cromwell we went to Small heath then i went into the army for 9 years.

Back