• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crest for Erdington

D

Duval

Is their a crest or coat of arms associated with Erdington?

I know going back into the very distant past it was land owned by Edwin Earl of Mercia and then the De Erdingtons and more later Thomas Holte of Aston Hall Fame. Would anybody know where I might find a copy of their coat of arms, I am trying to create a crest for a local Erdington league and It would be nice to use some elements from the crest of the family that developed the area.

The Arms of the Erdington family are, I believe : a hand (vertical) holding a black ball. The hand emerges, with a bit of the wrist, from a sort of coiled piece of cloth/rope...each 'coil' being of alternate white and black folds etc.

Is their a crest or coat of arms associated with Erdington?

I know going back into the very distant past it was land owned by Edwin Earl of Mercia and then the De Erdingtons and more later Thomas Holte of Aston Hall Fame. Would anybody know where I might find a copy of their coat of arms, I am trying to create a crest for a local Erdington league and It would be nice to use some elements from the crest of the family that developed the area.

This is a photo of an old ashtray I have

Thanks to both of you for your replies. JohnO, yours certainly sounds interesting as the logo I am trying to design is for a bowls club and if it is right that the crest is a hand holding a black ball this would fit in perfectly. Do you know how I could source an image of the crest so I can see the design?

Thanks to both of you for your replies. JohnO, yours certainly sounds interesting as the logo I am trying to design is for a bowls club and if it is right that the crest is a hand holding a black ball this would fit in perfectly. Do you know how I could source an image of the crest so I can see the design?

We try to meet all your Heraldic needs. :) What a coincidence - you just couldn't make it up! All I have to do now is prove it to you....and to first remember where I saw the damned thing too! I shall have a search about....so please bear with me, as it might take a while. Regards, JohnO

Hi again, I'm having trouble with loading pages from the net.....this might take longer than I expected!

I've cross-checked it against Fairbairn's ''Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland'' 1905 ed. It is exactly correct. You now have a ready-made (bespoke even!) crest for your bowls club...now you are bound to win! :D

Thanks for your help guys, i'm in the process of creating the new crest, once it's complete i shall upload it to the forum for you both to have a look.

Hi, are you basing it on the Erdington Crest link above? I'm not sure if it's an authentic bowling grip, but you couldn't wish for a better crest for your purposes! Regards, JohnO

Back