• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crabtree Rd

Dave I remember Mr Guck really well..I used to live in Brookfield Road:):)

Hi Maggie,

I used to work just down the road from his shop at R. Whites in the
1960s / early 1970s, but I never lived on that side of Birmingham.

Just used to pop into the shop occasionally. I also remember going
to a pub a bit further down on the other side - I think it was called
The Lamp, and was near New Spring Street, but my memory is not
too clear on that. I'm sure you will know it.

Kind regards

Dave

My nan, Florence Edith Harrison nee Brindley lived at 34 Crabtree Road in 1937ish, her sister was Olive Frisby nee Brindley. If anyone has anymore
info about my Nan I would be really grateful

Hi harrison
just breifly want to say i knew olive and fred and the family very well indeed for many many years long before they moved to grab tre rd and the kids was kids and her son was my best mate from a early age ;
along with alan and bryan and steven and there twins ;
sorry i have to shoot off to the hospital now but if you come back later on i can give you more info;
olive and fred was great people we got n like a house on fire
look foreward to hearing again from you incidently where is your harison coming from?
Alan ;astonian

Hi
I am looking for any information after 1955 of my nan Mrs Doris Toal who lived in Crabtree Rd.
I know it was a back house as i had been a few times as a kid. She was married to a Thomas Toal, who they called Tommy. She had a son
from a previous marrage living there. He was Douglas Greatrex. I have my Nan on electorial list in New John Street West, with Tommy Toal
and also my Grandad George Greatrex. I would be greatful for any information on them as i would like to know what number in Crabtree Rd
they lived at.

I have my nan on the electoral roll for NJstWest. But the online roll only goes to 1955

Many thanks for your time Stars

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mikejee
When you get a min Would you happen to have a map from 1950 onwards for Crabtree Road. I am trying to locate my Nans old house.
Number 5 back of 53, their names Was Doris and Tommy Toal.

Many thanks mike Stars (Eric)

Stars
53 is actually written on the c 1955 map, but have coloured in green as it is not clear
Mike

mapc1955crabtreeroadshowingno53.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike
Thanks for your quick reply. You do a great job with the maps, it realy helps when you can see where
in a road your relatives lived. I think it is a trip to the library to look at the electoral roll after 1955.
Many thanks again Mike.

Stars

HI LYNN
That was the first road on the left and it was a shop that later turned into a cafe
that was the start of crab tree rd the rd on the door way was clissold street on the left ; i am trying to recall familys on clissold street ;
on the approch to the front door you would have walked up from ickneild stret and up pittford stret to continue on to crab tree rd
the cafe was in the sixtys on my way home from the green i would walk down western rd and continue down grabtree rd
and at the bottom of the rd was that shop and it was late ; there was a copper there with a gas boardman breaking in to the privatepart to turn of the gas for none payment for gas useage across the rd inthefirst house was a girl i used to go out she moved up from brookie to there fromgeorge street west
my mate lived at 34 or 37 the frisbys
and the adams family my old long term friends lived in the next rdup new spring street to day pickford street as gone it as different avenue
one is called capstone avenue i have a family friend living there and my old long time old school friend lives at 35 today in crab tree rd
best wishes astonian

Hi Mike
Just to update you on 53 crabtree rd. That was the address on a letter sent to my nan. I was up the library Wednesday and did a bit more
checking. it appears that the address was 5 Harold Place, Crabtree Rd, which i believe was at the back of 53. Perhaps to save writing all that address
they just put 5 back 53. Thanks again for the map.

Regards Stars

Stars
Yes. the electoral roll shows it as Harold place. as does the map I put on if you boost the magnification before scanning it. Interesting thing is that the 1889 large scale map shows it as Arnold place. Not sure why they should change names. I have seen it before, but it is usually because of the need to commemorate some person (politician or general mostly)

the road on the right in Lyn's pic 49 was Crabtree Road ..left side Clissold Street..a few of the houses in Crabtree Road were front houses leading on to terraces..Crabtree Road was quiet a small Road .would have taken you about 2 minutes to walk the length of it from All Saints Road to Brookfield Road at the top

Last edited:
Back