• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cowper Street

photo looks to be at the end of cowper st so at a guess and looking at the map i would say andover john as we can clearly see newtown row..hoping cowperkid will spot your posts and be able to help

lyn

I think this image (1940/42) is of either Andover Place or Burton Place, the bay windows are the same as in the Coleshill Place image and there is a gap in the houses on the right-hand side.
I have a attached a 1938 map, on the image the houses at the end of the 'Place' are not directly after the last house, in my opinion this would indicate that Andover Place is a better fit. No. 13/66 would be the last but one house.
Brummy-Lad, you're right, (my 2nd mistake) No 13 is the last but one house. Your photo intrigued me (#149), but after looking, it looks like the photo is looking towards the street as there were building walls at the top of these 'places'. If that is the case it can't be Andover. If it was Burton I think the school building would have been prominent. Coleshill is only the other one to face a section of the school wall. I've posted a photo of my wife and her siblings which was taken in Andover Place for reference. Regarding your other photo, I looked at a photo of Spilsburys which was on the corner with Newtown Row and the end building on your photo doesn't look like Spilsburys although the flats are in the right position for Weston House.
Andover Place copy.jpgmap 1889 Cowper St Newtown row copy.jpgCowper Street School copy.jpgweston house copy.jpgSpilsburys Newtown Newtown Row - Cowper St (2).jpg

Last edited:
Lovely picture of your wife and siblings Banjo, you can also clearly see what appears to be the trees in the school playground.
I'm still trying to fathom out the unknown place.

Attachments

• cowper-st14r.jpg
    cowper-st14r.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 11
I have been searching the internet for the original of this 1940/42 image but can't find it, if anybody has a copy could you please post it to this thread.
Houses are clearly visible in the background, therefore the picture was taken with the photographers back to Cowper Street (there were no houses on Cowper Street opposite these 3 Places). This is confirmed by the fact there is a block of 5 houses after the gap shown on the picture. The orange square highlights what appears to be part of a roof (not clearly unfortunately). Andover Place would fit, the roof would be No. 4 Court No. 2 on Ormond Street the other distant and obscured houses would be the rear of 1 bk 6 and 2 bk 8 Ormond Street.
As Banjo says there would have been a wall at the end of Andover Place which is not visible on the picture, perhaps this had been past repair and demolished, a clearer picture would be a perfect way to solve this conundrum.

Attachments

• cowper-st13-circa-1940-2m.jpg
    cowper-st13-circa-1940-2m.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 9
I see it is on the astonbrooke-tthough-astonmanor site. if you tell me what page it is on I can post it on this thread - but??? You have already posted it???

I see it is on the astonbrooke-tthough-astonmanor site. if you tell me what page it is on I can post it on this thread - but??? You have already posted it???
Hi Michael, I was hoping to find a better copy of it, I thought perhaps it had been copied so many times that the image had deteriorated and lost some of the detail.

I have access to the whole site and may have a better copy but need to know what page it is on as it is not on the Cowper Street page
Lyn originally posted this on this thread, post #25 and it was from the astonbrook-through-astonmanor website but I've searched all through the pages on that website and couldn't locate it.

Brummy-Lad, you're right, (my 2nd mistake) No 13 is the last but one house. Your photo intrigued me (#149), but after looking, it looks like the photo is looking towards the street as there were building walls at the top of these 'places'. If that is the case it can't be Andover. If it was Burton I think the school building would have been prominent. Coleshill is only the other one to face a section of the school wall. I've posted a photo of my wife and her siblings which was taken in Andover Place for reference. Regarding your other photo, I looked at a photo of Spilsburys which was on the corner with Newtown Row and the end building on your photo doesn't look like Spilsburys although the flats are in the right position for Weston House.
View attachment 156195View attachment 156197View attachment 156198View attachment 156199View attachment 156202
I agree with your observation about Spilsburys, I wonder now if it had already been demolished and that these buildings are a bit further in from the corner of New Town Row and Cowper Street, OR indeed if the image is labelled incorrectly.

Hi Michael, I was hoping to find a better copy of it, I thought perhaps it had been copied so many times that the image had deteriorated and lost some of the detail.
If you magnify it you can see lines runnimg down, which would mean it is copied from an illustration in a book or newspaper and I think unlikely to be available at any better resolution

Finally sorted these images, the image queried in post #145 had been labelled incorrectly and is actually the junction with Summer Lane. The building on the corner is therefore the Three Horse Shoes PH (I need to check this out though). It ties in with the other 2 images I have.
My thanks to Banjo for his comments re: Spilsburys, which made me re-examine the location.

Attachments

• cowper-st-combo.jpg
    cowper-st-combo.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
If you magnify it you can see lines runnimg down, which would mean it is copied from an illustration in a book or newspaper and I think unlikely to be available at any better resolution
Hi Mike, could you do a look up for me please for No. 20 Cowper Street around 1964-66. Thank-you

The electoral rolls show Arthur Pease as at 2 back Cowper st in 1962 and 65. No listing of 20 in 1964 or 1967 in Kellys, but in 1965 and 1966 it is listed as Mrs L.L.Faulkner, shopkeeper

Finally sorted these images, the image queried in post #145 had been labelled incorrectly and is actually the junction with Summer Lane. The building on the corner is therefore the Three Horse Shoes PH (I need to check this out though). It ties in with the other 2 images I have.
My thanks to Banjo for his comments re: Spilsburys, which made me re-examine the location.
You are spot on Brummy Lad, the view is of Cowper St looking across Summer Lane to Newtown Row. You can make out the 'EL' of Spartan Steel on the extreme left. Most of Cowper St from Newtown Row has been demolished but there are some buildings left on the corner of Summer Lane opposite the Three Horseshoes. Because of the perspective it is difficult to make out Summer Lane itself but, that is definately the view.
Cowper_Street_Newtown-1967.jpgthree horseshoes.jpg

Thanks Banjo, that building on the left of the Three Horse Shoes threw me, just shows how misled you can be by photos, it looked as though it was right next door, I would never have believed that Summer Lane was there between the two buildings. You also answered another query I had i.e. the 'EL' in the distance, I would have spent ages on that one.

hi john just as a point of interest i have a friend who lived 3 doors away from the horse shoes pub and her house can be seen in the photo...there is also a photo of her as a young girl and her sister playing outside the house in one of carl chinn brum mags...they were the last family to live in the house before demo took over

lyn

hi john just as a point of interest i have a friend who lived 3 doors away from the horse shoes pub and her house can be seen in the photo...there is also a photo of her as a young girl and her sister playing outside the house in one of carl chinn brum mags...they were the last family to live in the house before demo took over

lyn
That's brilliant Lyn, I love to hear about photos with links like that. This is why I try to add as much info as possible to the pics on the map, at some future date somebody may be able to pinpoint the house/shop/factory that they (or their ancestors) lived/worked in.

john you are doing a great job...it really is most important to document what we can...mind you i am not technical enough to do what you do...it just goes to show though that we must always be mindful that the locations on photos are not always correct so i always say when in doubt ask the forum also as you know the angles of old photos can badly distort a photo as i have found out many times..one photo i found said it was paddington st but it turns out it was summer lane lol but thats the fun part of trying to get things right and it keeps the little grey cell active :D

lyn

john you are doing a great job...it really is most important to document what we can...mind you i am not technical enough to do what you do...it just goes to show though that we must always be mindful that the locations on photos are not always correct so i always say when in doubt ask the forum also as you know the angles of old photos can badly distort a photo as i have found out many times..one photo i found said it was paddington st but it turns out it was summer lane lol but thats the fun part of trying to get things right and it keeps the little grey cell active :D

lyn
Lyn you do a sterling job supplying most (if not all) of the images that I use for each street, it's just a shame when you see a pic like the Three Horse Shoes and you know there must be an original of that filed away in a box somewhere.

You are spot on Brummy Lad, the view is of Cowper St looking across Summer Lane to Newtown Row. You can make out the 'EL' of Spartan Steel on the extreme left. Most of Cowper St from Newtown Row has been demolished but there are some buildings left on the corner of Summer Lane opposite the Three Horseshoes. Because of the perspective it is difficult to make out Summer Lane itself but, that is definately the view.
View attachment 156234View attachment 156235
Not sure, but I believe that the open area on the left side was a scrap yard. A bit further up towards Farm St was our Doctors surgery, Dr Hamilton, a Scotsman of course!

Lyn you do a sterling job supplying most (if not all) of the images that I use for each street, it's just a shame when you see a pic like the Three Horse Shoes and you know there must be an original of that filed away in a box somewhere.
john ive got this one of the 3 horse shoes...think its a tad clearer and you can just see a bit more of summer lane

lyn

three horseshoes...jpg

Cowper Street has been added to the map:

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

There is one image that is either Burton Place or Andover Place, despite best efforts by BHF members the definitive location cannot be determined. If you can help with this please make contact, thank-you.

photo looks to be at the end of cowper st so at a guess and looking at the map i would say andover john as we can clearly see newtown row..hoping cowperkid will spot your posts and be able to help

lyn
Hi Lyn been a wile hope you are well and every one on this site . I think you have it right looking at the picture cowper street school would be opposit side of the road . The only time i spent at that end of the street was too and from school and spent most of my time down my own end lol ( as we where often told go play at your own end)

The electoral rolls show Arthur Pease as at 2 back Cowper st in 1962 and 65. No listing of 20 in 1964 or 1967 in Kellys, but in 1965 and 1966 it is listed as Mrs L.L.Faulkner, shopkeeper
Hi Mikejee yes i remember the shop very well we all called it fanny falkners used to get all our sweets from there pinapple cubes and peardrops in the huge glass jars P S you have a picture of the shop someware on hear mike

That's brilliant Lyn, I love to hear about photos with links like that. This is why I try to add as much info as possible to the pics on the map, at some future date somebody may be able to pinpoint the house/shop/factory that they (or their ancestors) lived/worked in.
Hi all,

I've just picked up on this thread and I thought you may find of interest a family connection to the Three Horse Shoes.
My Aunt (Dorothy Flint) was the licensee in the late 1930's having been widowed in 1933 with two young boys to bring up and run the pub, her husband was Bertram Flint. My Mother (Edith Priest) moved from the family home in Cradley Heath to help out at the pub when she was in her early 'twenties. My Father (Harold Mytton) lived at 6/247 Summer Lane and was, I guess, a regular at the pub because here he met my Mother and they were married in November 1939 as he went off to war. My Aunt gave up the Three Horse Shoes at this time and took over a much smaller pub close by on the corner of Guildford Street and Paddington Street. I have seen this referred to as The Welcome Inn but in the only photo I have seen (below) there is no signage visible so any info on this would be appreciated. She kept this until sometime in the 1950's when she took on an off licence in Aston and then in the early 1960's ran her final off licence in Shireland Road Smethwick until retirement.
Thanks.

58 Guildford St-Paddington St. 16.7.59.jpg

Hi all,

I've just picked up on this thread and I thought you may find of interest a family connection to the Three Horse Shoes.
My Aunt (Dorothy Flint) was the licensee in the late 1930's having been widowed in 1933 with two young boys to bring up and run the pub, her husband was Bertram Flint. My Mother (Edith Priest) moved from the family home in Cradley Heath to help out at the pub when she was in her early 'twenties. My Father (Harold Mytton) lived at 6/247 Summer Lane and was, I guess, a regular at the pub because here he met my Mother and they were married in November 1939 as he went off to war. My Aunt gave up the Three Horse Shoes at this time and took over a much smaller pub close by on the corner of Guildford Street and Paddington Street. I have seen this referred to as The Welcome Inn but in the only photo I have seen (below) there is no signage visible so any info on this would be appreciated. She kept this until sometime in the 1950's when she took on an off licence in Aston and then in the early 1960's ran her final off licence in Shireland Road Smethwick until retirement.
Thanks.

View attachment 162858
This appears to have been a beer retailer in 1959 run by Doris Annie Flint (your aunt), I'm not sure it would have a name but will stand corrected if told otherwise, have a look on this website:

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

Hi all,

Thanks.

View attachment 162858
As I lived in Paddington St, I can confirm that this is the off-licence or outdoor as it was also known. We had one at both ends of the street on the same side.
Dave A

As I lived in Paddington St, I can confirm that this is the off-licence or outdoor as it was also known. We had one at both ends of the street on the same side.
Dave A
Hi everyone i went in the outdoor many times to buy pop or have a bottle filled with beer for mom & dad and in later years about 1959 the family that ran it was named parrot i went to scool with there daughter i cant remember her first name

Back