• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Betholom Row bordered Jewish cemetery in Islinton Row.jpg
Betholom Row not a court but a passage that ran beside the Jewish cemetery from Islington Row 1900s The bodires were reinterd at Witton but some headstones survive by the junction of Wheelers Lane and Bath Row courtesy digital ladywood

is there any photos of back yards in aberdeen street winson green i lived up the opening behind jones shop not far from the queens head pub
josie

Does anyone have a photo of Claybrook Street of Hurstcroft Road South Yardley. I am amazed at the amount of information on this site it will keep me riveted for ages.

Perhaps Jayell can confirm that the tall building on the left was the entrance to the Ninevah Dance Studios? I remember waiting outside for the door to be opened and then going up loads of stairs. I think the studios were facing Soho Road, but the entrance was definitely in Ninevah Road.

HI Josie
i can recall jones shop and the opening there was one time about four years ago there was one picture and a thread concerning the shop and the
opening on this thread but sadley all the old pictures from the site was changied from the forum
so some one some where as got one do you recall little maggie from the yard or the palmer family or the dunkleys whom lived across the rd
in those houses with the big long gardens on the front of the house ;
those was the good old days as far as i am concerened best wishes Astonian;;

Shortie - I think you are referring to the photo of the junction of Soho/Nineveh Roads and Grove Lane that was on the "Soho Road, Handsworth" thread. I have replied on there to your question about the Nineveh Dance Studios.

Judy

brilliant pic of gt hampton st bernie...its a new one to me...i could be wrong but because of the buildings showing behind it i have a feeling thats it on the same side as the lord clifden pub mind you with my sense of direction it could be on the other side lol

cheers

lyn

A wonderfull photo of WJ Clarke's shop. I found an E Swan at 63 Great Hampton Street but couldn't find WJ Clarke. If the numbers haven't changed we may find out where on the street it was taken.

great photo of 63 Great Hampton Street, do you have any others as I am still looking for a old photo of 67 & 68 where my ancestors ran there furniture business from 1859 to 1911 John Glew & Company Ltd also known as the Birmingham Pantechnicon they had outlets on Broad Street , Gem Street and Vauxhall Street.
Thanks Cath

Hi Stephen if I will keep an eye out but someone else may be able to help , sorry Lyn I don't know you'll need a map , the caption just says 1900s Wendy but there was a Swan and others at 63 and a half . I have included this on the caption now

brilliant pic of gt hampton st bernie...its a new one to me...i could be wrong but because of the buildings showing behind it i have a feeling thats it on the same side as the lord clifden pub mind you with my sense of direction it could be on the other side lol

cheers

lyn

I thought it looked similar to the Lord Clifden but their website says they're number 34, love the Lord Clifden btw but are getting a bit pricey..

https://thelordclifden.com/

Hi Carolina re pic 214.
This was taken in The Rookery in Herbert Road Small Heath if you look in the background you can see Wimbushs Tower on the corner of Coventry Road and Green Lane.
I used to play up here when i was young in the 1950's.
Walt00.

Walt well done, have you got any more you could put on? Carol
Hi Carol
Sorry no but i noticed this because i have this picture in my collection of Small Heath Photos. This was taken a little after i used to play up there in the 50's i knew everyone that that lived up that Yard. Photo taken poss in 1970's just before Demolition.
Walt00.

hi bernie ;
good pictures of the camden courts the one shot loks like there is a side face of an old church what do you think ;
i presume this court is in camden street and i would also think it would be towards the parade end of camden street as you know camden street was in two halfs crossing over the ickneild street by spring hill end may bebulpitts section was built on it as it went almost up the camden street
as it passed Albion street there was some old building there what i presumed resembled old courts and i think and it later years there was a building company set up there i just cannot think of the name they was well known but for he love nor money i just annot spitt it out but on the other side of the rd as you went closer to the parade there was a church resembling feature in white frontage remained for many years
but any way look closer and study it i think its a church at the bottom of the court ; what do you think ? .
best wishes Alan Astonian;

Astonian: Post 447 shows Camden Grove, where my grandparents lived (thanks Bernie). The building at the end is Camden Drive School, still there today.

Back