• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coley's Shop 91 Kyrwicks Lane, Birmingham

Coley1900

Brummie babby
This is a picture of my grandparent's shop. They were Amy (nee Palmer), and William (Bill) Coley. My dad was their son, Bill. This picture was taken for the Queen's Coronation, in 1953.
I would love to hear from anyone who knew my grandparents, or have actually been to their shop. Are there any Coleys around now? I have never met anyone on my Dad's side of the family. Any information will be appreciated. I live in Australia, and we will be in London for Christmas 2023.
Looking forward to a reply,
Susan Coley

Attachments

• 91KyrwicksLaneBirmingham.jpg
    91KyrwicksLaneBirmingham.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 37
Hi Susan and welcome. I hope someone responds to your request especially as you'll be visiting later this year.

Theres very little of the old Kyrwicks Lane left having been mostly replaced by more modern buildings. There's just the old Hereford Arms pub still standing on the opposite side of the road to your grandparents shop. There are old photos of the street in different threads, just do a search for Kyrwicks Lane.

One member remembers the shop - this is taken from another thread. Good luck with your research. Viv

Screenshot_20230626_083238_Chrome.jpg

Hi I have very fond memories of Kyrwicks Lane and I remember Coley"s. We lived in Main Street in the 1950s and my Mother worked at a small factory just behind the toy shop..they made costume jewellery. I too was fascinated by that bacon slicer..

There are a surprising number (to me anyway) of Coleys in Birmingham on the 1939 register - 509, which doesn't include the blanked out entries.

William Henry and Amy are listed at 1 Balsall Heath Road (findmypast) which I think may be 1 back 155 Balsall Heath Road, no. 1 doesn't appear to exist. His brother is possibly living next door at 2 back 155.

If they are brothers then they are the sons of another William Henry Coley and an Elizabeth Scott. They had a brother who died young and 2 sisters, so the only other Coleys descended from that generation would be children of Bertie.

Bertie married a Beatrice Ransom and had 2 sons (1 died young) and a daughter. Both sisters married and the eldest definitely had children.

Memories re-kindled again. Mom asking me to go down the yard to Coley's and get four slices of best boiled ham, and ask him to put it in the book. (on tick for those who don't know). Then watching Mr Coley get that giant ham on to the magical slicer and risking life limb and fingers for four slices worth about 9d

Hi Susan and welcome. I hope someone responds to your request especially as you'll be visiting later this year.

Theres very little of the old Kyrwicks Lane left having been mostly replaced by more modern buildings. There's just the old Hereford Arms pub still standing on the opposite side of the road to your grandparents shop. There are old photos of the street in different threads, just do a search for Kyrwicks Lane.

One member remembers the shop - this is taken from another thread. Good luck with your research. Viv

View attachment 181295
Thank you Viv, much appreciated. Regards Susan

Hi I have very fond memories of Kyrwicks Lane and I remember Coley"s. We lived in Main Street in the 1950s and my Mother worked at a small factory just behind the toy shop..they made costume jewellery. I too was fascinated by that bacon slicer..
Thank you Robroy.
Regards Susan

There are a surprising number (to me anyway) of Coleys in Birmingham on the 1939 register - 509, which doesn't include the blanked out entries.

William Henry and Amy are listed at 1 Balsall Heath Road (findmypast) which I think may be 1 back 155 Balsall Heath Road, no. 1 doesn't appear to exist. His brother is possibly living next door at 2 back 155.

If they are brothers then they are the sons of another William Henry Coley and an Elizabeth Scott. They had a brother who died young and 2 sisters, so the only other Coleys descended from that generation would be children of Bertie.

Bertie married a Beatrice Ransom and had 2 sons (1 died young) and a daughter. Both sisters married and the eldest definitely had children.
Thank you Master Brummie, appreciated your Coley records information. Regards Susan

Memories re-kindled again. Mom asking me to go down the yard to Coley's and get four slices of best boiled ham, and ask him to put it in the book. (on tick for those who don't know). Then watching Mr Coley get that giant ham on to the magical slicer and risking life limb and fingers for four slices worth about 9d
Thankyou Philgard7, Glad you enjoyed the giant ham slicer in action. Regards Susan

This is a picture of my grandparent's shop. They were Amy (nee Palmer), and William (Bill) Coley. My dad was their son, Bill. This picture was taken for the Queen's Coronation, in 1953.
I would love to hear from anyone who knew my grandparents, or have actually been to their shop. Are there any Coleys around now? I have never met anyone on my Dad's side of the family. Any information will be appreciated. I live in Australia, and we will be in London for Christmas 2023.
Susan Coley
Hi Susan, I am Philgard7’s sister Kay. Your grandparents shop was at the head of a yard of houses at no 91, so we were all something back of 91! We were 8/91. Mr Coley was a lovely gentle man who provided an excellent service. Wonderful fresh produce, and I too was fascinated by the bacon slicer! We also had Thomsons, who sold haberdashery and toys amongs lt lots of other things. I wish I had some photos to show you!
Kay

Susan Coley

Hello Susan, yes there are lots! of Coleys still around my mothers maiden name was Coley, my Granddad was George Coley, my Grt Granddad was George Henry Coley, i haven’t touched my family tree now for a few years I’m sitting in my car outside my daughters house at 04:00 and find myself logging onto the BH website, something I also haven’t visited for a few months and fall upon your post of a Coley Family, if i remember right? there is a William Coley in my family tree but as I say I haven’t been there for a while. My mother, Charlotte Jean was born in Aston in 1934, my Granddad was born in Park road Aston in 1907, Great Granddad was also born in Aston in 1885 I’ll have to visit my family tree folders and catch up on them all, I’ve traced them back to Pump Street Worcester and before that to Hartlebury. The photo is of my Mother and me about 1955

Attachments

• 449EBEB3-B625-46E3-97A5-81D4A15A8D89.jpeg
    449EBEB3-B625-46E3-97A5-81D4A15A8D89.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Hello Susan, yes there are lots! of Coleys still around my mothers maiden name was Coley, my Granddad was George Coley, my Grt Granddad was George Henry Coley, i haven’t touched my family tree now for a few years I’m sitting in my car outside my daughters house at 04:00 and find myself logging onto the BH website, something I also haven’t visited for a few months and fall upon your post of a Coley Family, if i remember right? there is a William Coley in my family tree but as I say I haven’t been there for a while. My mother, Charlotte Jean was born in Aston in 1934, my Granddad was born in Park road Aston in 1907, Great Granddad was also born in Aston in 1885 I’ll have to visit my family tree folders and catch up on them all, I’ve traced them back to Pump Street Worcester and before that to Hartlebury. The photo is of my Mother and me about 1955
Thank you Cookie55, we have found these old photos, they are of my Grandparents, William and Amy (nee Palmer), and also one photo is with my Dad, Bill, the address on the back of this photo is Balsall Heath Road. I am finding out quite a bit of information about my Grandparents. I would like to go to Birmingham when we come to England in a month's time. The beginning of January would be good. Which Fast Train stop would be the most convenient? I do not know the exact location. Is it in Sparkbrook or in Sparkhill? We will be using the Fast Train from London. Thanks for sharing. Susan Coley

Attachments

• Grandparents Coley Birmingham (1).jpg
    Grandparents Coley Birmingham (1).jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Grandparents Coley with Bill  Birmingham (2).jpg
    Grandparents Coley with Bill Birmingham (2).jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 5
Susan Coley
Hi Susan your fastest train stop in Birmingham, is Birmingham New street.

Thankyou Philgard7, Glad you enjoyed the giant ham slicer in action. Regards Susan
Hi Susan
As Cookie55 said the Avanti fast train from Euston takes you to the centre of Brum. My wife and I use it quite regular to visit London for the theatres. You can get decent bargains sometimes, around about £20 pp return. There is a slower less expensive train, again from Euston via West Midlands Railways, cheaper but definitely slower (2hrs, twice as long as Avanti).

Sparkhill is relatively close to Birmingham City Centre, probably only two miles or so, indeed when we were teens we used to walk to 'town' for nights out. If you want I can give you directions by various busses that go down the A34 Stratford Road or A435 Alcester/Moseley Road, cheap as chips. Google Maps will give you a good perspective. A taxi would probably be the most sensible option and cost around £10.

The area has changed drastically since we lived behind Coley's so be prepared.

Susan Coley
I found a small entry in the Birmingham Mail 23rd September 1963 reference your grandfather:

Attachments

• Birmingham_Mail_23_September_1963_0008_Clip.jpg
    Birmingham_Mail_23_September_1963_0008_Clip.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
Back