• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coffee shops on and near Curzon street in the early 1900s

emb04

Hi everyone! Does anyone know of any coffee house/coffee shop that existed on or near Curzon Street in between the early 1900s and the 1920s? The owner was called William Downs/Downes.

hi and welcome...do you mean the william downes with wife louisa and large family on the 1911 census in curzon st tea and coffee shop owner ?
...the best thing you could hope for is to search on the forum for old photos of curzon st in hopes that one may actually show the shop ..however one of our members maybe able to provide you with a map showing where no 69 once was

lyn

Last edited:
On 1920s ERs William & Louisa Downes address appears to be listed as 68/69 Curzon St. A lot of buildings have gone by the numbered map (1950) including 68/69.

On the 1891 census the Railway Hotel is listed at 63, which is followed by 65 and the last number listed appears to be 68, so perhaps this building marked on 1889 map below. Photos of the Railway Hotel may show it if you're fortunate.

0 - Curzon St.jpg

ahh that photo is so close mark...i am asking around now for any photos of curzon st...fingers crossed as they are out there somewhere...1911 census shows them at no 69 ..the 1901 census puts them at nos 67 and 68

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I agree with MWS. All the Kellys up till 1908 list the shop as 67-68, but from 1910 it is listed as 68-69. This seems peculiar, but if you look at the map of 1913 you can see that the houses around 67,58 have been demolished, leaving just those two and 1 house back of 68. This is confirmed by electoral roll which shows the Downes living in "68/9, this being the back house of 68

electorl roll curzon st 1920.jpgmap 1913  curzon st.jpg

ahh that photo is so close mark...i am asking around now for any photos of curzon st...fingers crossed as they are out there somewhere...1911 census shows them at no 69 ..the 1901 census puts them at nos 67 and 68

lyn
Here is a photo of Curzon Street. My grandparents lived at 29.

Attachments

• IMG_7930.jpeg
    IMG_7930.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 10
On 1920s ERs William & Louisa Downes address appears to be listed as 68/69 Curzon St. A lot of buildings have gone by the numbered map (1950) including 68/69.

On the 1891 census the Railway Hotel is listed at 63, which is followed by 65 and the last number listed appears to be 68, so perhaps this building marked on 1889 map below. Photos of the Railway Hotel may show it if you're fortunate.

View attachment 186046
The Railway Pub was on the corner of Curzon Street and Howe Street. I remember it well, it was used by my grandparents and parents.

Back