• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Co-op horse

When the delivery boy gets on his bike you will get your CO-OP order!. Len.

Attachments

• Co op delivery bike.jpg
    Co op delivery bike.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
After the horse and the bicycle came the electric van. Open sided floats fro milk, but enclosed vans for bread. Bread - delivered fresh to your door? Who would believe it today!
NVP 144 was fully restored from a wreck and is now in Wythall museum's Battery Electric Vehicles Hall.

Attachments

• Co op Milk Float.jpg
    Co op Milk Float.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Co op Bread Van.jpg
    Co op Bread Van.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 9
Postie my moms was 202310 and my aunts was 64284. Talking about the horses my husbands first job was on the milk with the horse doing the hard work. He said he knew the round better than the milkman. When he was learning the job he went round with an older man who frequently stopped off at certain houses for sometimes an hour at a time. I wonder what for?. Does anyone remember the horse that bolted and went through the plate glass window of the co op on Witton island?.

CO-OP handcart, a great restoration job, the lettering was going to painted with gold paint later, circa?, Len.

Attachments

• Co op Handcart.jpg
    Co op Handcart.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1
great pics Lloyd/ lencops,i remember them well i know it was in stechford where the bakery was. oh hang on i,ve an a-z,, still not totally sure it was either manor rd or Yardley fields rd??
i think is was manor for sure, i know someone who met his good lady opposite will tell me,watch this space.. regards dereklcg.

Mums divi was 36060 and Nans was 248389.

Good old co-op, still can't beat it.

Milk delivered by them on the horse drawn cart, my nan use to buy me carrots to feed them.

Use to use the co-op in Deritend, and buy clothing from the shop in Gooch Street and for more items the one in Birmingham. Liberty Bodies and petticoats!

203067 our moms ,funny ain`t it its like your nat.ins number you never forget it

1997 Open day at CO-OP Funeral services, Stirchley with horses pulling a hearse and an antique? hearse. Len.

Fascinating pics, Lencops.
What a pity we don't realise how important the horse was to to the growth of our 'civilisation'. Before steam, gas, petrol and electricity came along in the 18th and 19th centuries, we relied on water power, a bit of wind, a lot of human labour, but above all, our best friend, the horse. Although I have next to no knowledge of the animals, I am always amazed at their willingness to help us, and to work.
Not Birmingham history, but here is a pic I took a month or two ago in Bad Lauchstaedt, in Germany, showing an beautifully turned out bridal coach. The happy couple having been delivered, and the driver rested the horses in the shade.
Peter

If you want to see these wonderful creatures in action there will be a horse drawn hearse at Key Hill on Saturday care of the Co Op. Here's a photo taken a couple of years ago.

Had one for moms funeral Wendy. Two 16.2 black geldings. One was named samson but can't remember the others name. Jean.

I couldn't leave the poor ol' 'oss looking like that so it was either shoot him
beathorse.gif
or save him...

nice one lencops i thought it was.
i lived in kelynmead rd not that far away i used to meet the guy i helped up the top of the road as you do. i had a card way back when, to say i could help the baker, milkman, and of coarse had a paper round at beals lea hall rd happy days, regards dereklcg.

Last edited:
CO-OP Furniture factory, Belmont Row, disaster has struck - not once, but twice. The first blow came on January 11th, 2007 when, in a suspected arson attack, 75% of the building was damaged or destroyed by fire.Well, maybe I should have changed everything I have just written to present tense because disaster has struck - not once, but twice. The first blow came on January 11th, 2007 when, in a suspected arson attack, 75% of the building was damaged or destroyed by fire. Len.

hi mariew,have,nt been down there in a long while,is the shop still there,or has the co-op or some other convenience shop took it over,is the out door next door,is the pdsa up the road still and is the barbers down the road??? happy days
best wishes dereklcg.

Oisin think I aught to get the RSPCA on you. Jokeing apart that particular horse went bersek in his stables and seriously injured my grandad. They thought it was what they called a brain storm and he did have to be shot so my nan told me. He was such a gentle quiet horse so something went terribly wrong. JEAN.

Derek the shop is still there, I'm not sure about the outdoor, I don't go that way very often, the vets is still there.

Co-op branch in South Yardley just as it closed, July 8th 1983. The butchers shop (the first shop with the canopy) still seems to be open even though the grocery shop has closed: 2008 There is a hairdressers, MOT booking office, Party Balloon & items etc and a Restaurant: Photo No 2 is the CO-OP, Acocks Green, Warwick Rd, there is now a Shop selling plastic boxs, crockery etc, a Wetherspoons pub and Car Spares shop. Len.

11740 was the number one of my Grans used and from the divi I had a pair of Wheatsheaf black lace up shoes from the Co-op every birthday from 5 until I was 21. After that I bought me own and have never had any lace ups since. (Where I come from it was the BCS but that stood for the Bath Co-operative Society).

I used to love the co-op stores you could get anything there and always good quality too, the one in Northfield also had its own hairdressers.

Thanks so much for posting that link ragga, when I am more awke I will go through them all, can remember a lot of the first page

Back