• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Mhemery

Here are another couple of photos of the Red Lion on the High Street.

Attachments

• City Red Lion New Meeting St .jpg
    City Red Lion New Meeting St .jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 75
  • City High St - New Meeting St Red Lion  1951.jpg
    City High St - New Meeting St Red Lion 1951.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 72
I love looking at the photo's of the old trams. I don't remember them I have only seen them in museums. They do have a special place in my heart as my Dad proposed to my Mom on the top deck of a tram in Aston..!!

Cause we know how cosy the tops of the tramcars are
The seats are so small, there's not much to pay,
You sit close together and 'spoon' all the way,
And many a Miss will be Mrs some day
Through riding on top of the car.

Thanks everyone really enjoyed the last part of this thread. Our town center is a truly wonderful place to be admired and enjoyed both today and in the past.
I did happen meet two old architects at the Curzen Street exhibition. They told me it was not their department that knocked down parts of our historic city center but the Councilors of the day who made these big decissions and commercial profits?? Great to see these old city center photos.

Bob Summers

mayepolebaz #1534, I was stationed in Hong Kong with my Wife way back in 1953-54 and we used their trams a lot (particularly the No. 10 route) and they were definitely not Birmingham trams. EricNatham Road Hong Kong 1953.jpg

Mike - That makes sense. My granddad bought the lease of the Waveley in the early to mid 20's I think. So the lease of The Red Lion was quite separate then. I was told that my grandmother used to complain about certain ladies of the night using the Waverley - my granddad's reply was "Their money's as good as anyones"!!!!!

Phil - thanks for the other two photos showing The Red Lion. It's good to build up a picture.

Judy

mhemery - thanks for your photo in item1538. I have stood at the No.6 Perry Barr tram terminus so many times in Martineau Street in all weathers and occasions. A long time ago now. regards. willey

Hi Bob

This one is for you, one of John Ball's excellent photos. Is your ride parked there, it's dated 1963 is that a bit too early?

Attachments

• City Fore St 1963 John Ball.jpg
    City Fore St 1963 John Ball.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 130
The photo ,brought back memories of a dress shop that use to be there called Alberta's. I bought my wedding dress from there Sept 1949. I still have it here in Riverside California.

I find this a strange photo, it's taken from outside Woolworths in Spiceal Street looking up the High Street in the Bull Ring. What I find strange is that the barrows are all empty, there are no stalls and everybody seems to be in their Sunday best. If it were a Sunday then the barrows wouldn't be out. I wonder what is going on, anybody got any ideas?

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Toward High St .jpg
    City Bull Ring Toward High St .jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 168
Hi Phill thanks for the pics of the red lion in post 1544, in 1975 there was just a small narrow bar at the side, a place for swift pint on your way to where you were going to, thanks. Michael

mayepolebaz #1534, I was stationed in Hong Kong with my Wife way back in 1953-54 and we used their trams a lot (particularly the No. 10 route) and they were definitely not Birmingham trams. EricView attachment 92845

Thanks Eric, I don't believe they're ex-brummie trams either.
Honkers had changed a bit by the time we visited my son out there. In your photo you can actually see Victoria Peak !

Hi Phil. It doesn't look like a Sunday as all the blinds are out at Woolworths and other shops. 1920's judging by the lady on the left. Not cold as no coats are being worn. Photograph is taken in the morning as the shadow of the man on the right is coming from the south-east. They do look smartly dressed. I wonder if they have been, or are going to, a service at St. Martins Church.
I find this a strange photo, it's taken from outside Woolworths in Spiceal Street looking up the High Street in the Bull Ring. What I find strange is that the barrows are all empty, there are no stalls and everybody seems to be in their Sunday best. If it were a Sunday then the barrows wouldn't be out. I wonder what is going on, anybody got any ideas?

As they all seem to be men, in this photo and all seem "Suited and booted", I would assume it may be for some WW1, memorial, or even a march past of old veterans, all of the road seem to be sanded maybe there was a mounted troop involved.??

The other thing which occurred to me was that at this time "looks like late 20's early 30's", there were many national days, Oak-leaf day, Empire day, Ect. maybe one of these.

Hi All,

I am baffled by this photo.

(1) The building with the awnings out is not Woolworths. It is Somebody? & Co Ltd. Perhaps someone with better glasses than mine can work it out.

(2) It seems to be looking towards a T junction. High Street carries on as Dale End

(3) It certainly looks like the Market Hall but the other buildings do not fit in. Spicehall Street begins below the Bull Ring but I see no sign of the Bull Ring.

(4) I am not at all sure that this is in Birmingham. However if it is the carts could be waiting for the morning draw. Each morning a draw was held to decide the position of each cart in Spiceal Street. Obviously the nearest place to the Bull Ring was a prime spot.

Old Boy

Last edited:
Interesting what you say about the morning draw for the carts. They could be waiting for something. My picture fairly clearly says Woolworths. Also, although not very sharp, Nelson's statue appears to be opposite the Market Hall. I guess that looking up the Bull Ring would have been the corner of New Street and High Street.
Hi All,

I am baffled by this photo.

(1) The building with the awnings out is not Woolworths. It is Somebody? & Co Ltd. Perhaps someone with better glasses than mine can work it out.

(2) It seems to be looking towards a T junction. High Street carries on as Dale End

(3) It certainly looks like the Market Hall but the other buildings do not fit in. Spicehall Street begins below the Bull Ring but I see no sign of the Bull Ring.

(4) I am not at all sure that this is in Birmingham. However if it is the carts could be waiting for the morning draw. Each morning a draw was held to decide the position of each cart in Spiceal Street. Obviously the nearest place to the Bull Ring was a prime spot.

Old Boy

Myself I did wonder if it was anything to do with the death of Edward VII in May 1910?

Re: City Centre Photo Album

What about that monstrosity of a new library ? I'm sure it's fabulous inside but outside? What the devil is it supposed to be' A birdcage. '

Old Boy, I have enlarged pic and I can definitely see 'Woolworths & Co.' above the shop blinds. As far as the day I would plump for Saturday, certainly not Sunday because the shops are open and Monday to Friday there would be less men and more women (I think !). Is that the fish market between Woolworths and the Market Hall or did it have some other function, passed it many times but have forgot. Eric

The canopy would be the Midland Hotel. I am guessing the date at about 1950. Do you think the lorries would be ex-military?

Well it's certainly no later than 1955 when this photo was taken, as the original canopy has gone by then.

Attachments

• City New Street to Town Hall 1955.JPG
    City New Street to Town Hall 1955.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 75
Back