• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

New Street 1950 - Anyone remember the Picture Post ? At least it's advertising hoarding helped to partially hide a bomb site.
New_St_1950.JPG

I have't lived in Birmingham for years stitcher, so I cannot comment on that, I only know that these photo's you are putting up refresh an ailing memory and bring back a smile to this old face with remembering.
regards paul

Love the picture Topsyturvey. Do you have any further info about it?
Where was it and what was the occasion? I'd love to know

Sorry Chocks. I know nothing about this postcard , my friend sent it to me .She said it was for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago but i can,t find it.

I think this has been before and was probably one of them that was hacked, so its nice to see it again. I think someone will know what its about on the Forum

Probably. royal visit, or coronation - coat of arms over pedestrian aches, crown on top. Maybe the King's visit ? Maybe 1930s? Guessing! Viv.

Looking at the picture of trams (Post 723 by Caroline) given as in High Street - Martineau Street in 1948 seems to suggest a trip by aficionados in the first car (843). This car, the last built for Birmingham, was favoured for special trips: it usually ran on the Cotteridge and Bristol Road routes. I believe some of the routes from Martineau Street were converted to bus at the end of 1949 and others in late 1950.

I visited Birmingham in 1962/3 and was surprised to find the street had gone!

alan you are correct kind it was the last tram that was bought by Birmingham being constructed in aluminium. Also, the behind the tram is the News Theatre the first of its kind opened in the provinces which opened in early 1930s

Old Mohawk you have made my day - I was born and lived in Ford Steet. I have never seen a photo like that. Thanks Carol

I am now presuming that the Theater on the right is the Old Royal?? Its obvious now that the Forum( or was it named the Paramount?) Cinema was built to the left of the Piccadilly, where the Newman building is. I defiantly went to that cinema in the 60's, and the Arcade was all shops and a snooker club under neath. My wife worked a Bennets hairdresser at the very bottom of the slope at the back.
What a fantastic Cinema the Piccadilly was with all that refinery on display, why the hell was it destroyed and when?

To the right of the Piccadilly and Theatre Royal and Colonade Hotel and Ethel Street. If what I read is correct. Love the structure to the right of the Piccadilly in the picture above. A fine piece.

vgd.jpeg
I remember This shop in Corporation Street, but this picture was taken at the previous address in Steelhouse Lane. 1910.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great site and find Carolina,

Now that's what I call Birmingham City Center History. It seems a long time since we have researched, found and dissected a small part of an historic site in Brum, well done all, It makes this forum what it is very interesting!!

Thanks

Back